Why wouldn't the father go in the delivery room?

newwave

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh it is hopefully one day.... and you forget about it the minute you hold them. The minute I saw my son's beautiful face I burst into tears because I had never in life before or since felt such an ENORMITY of love for one person. I would have gone through a thousand times what I did just to see that face.

My husband was with me almost the whole time (almost because he had to fly in to be by my side as the baby was 9 days early, long story). He was on the phone with me while I was in labor and he was in the room during the c-section (but didn't watch the surgery, I don't blame him). I would have been upset if he wasn't there - it was a given- he wanted to be there, we took a birthing class together, etc.

The epidural was fine. I had had one before as part of another procedure so I knew what to expect. Labor itself was difficult but not hell, not even close. The c-section was an emergency so I was in labor for about 23 hours before they did the c. I asked for the epidural as soon as I arrived at the hospital, after about 8 hours of tougher labor that was only getting worse.

Call me stupid. But, I'm actually excited to get pregnant. But, it won't be for a few years (at least...)

I also get excited buying stationary...so, my standards are a bit weird.

That's how I feel about books lol. I have mixed feelings about pregnancy. Sometimes I think it'd be nice.

Pregnancy is so weird to me..I mean feeling the baby kick and swirl around..and my hair growing extremely fast and in weird places like my stomach..and my sudden allergy to medical tape and gauze..and then there's the whole nipple discharge thing..it just never ends, haha.

I am so glad I just finished my egg salad sandwich before reading this thread.

I'm one of the crazy ones that love pregnancy. I have two children, and I'd go through the pain all over again, just for the first few minutes after seeing them for the first time. Call me crazy, but yep...

For those who don't have children, it's hard to understand. But believe me and most mothers, that you WOULD do it all over again, if you could relive the first second you laid eyes on your child.

I think pregnancy is kind of like sex. When you think about it, sex is kind of disgusting.

That's what I like about it though. It's messy, feral, completely reckless. It's us at our most primal. I can unleash the beast and not worry about saying the wrong thing, and making sure my slacks are pressed.

That's what I like about it though. It's messy, feral, completely reckless. It's us at our most primal. I can unleash the beast and not worry about saying the wrong thing, and making sure my slacks are pressed.

Oh yeah, when you're horny, disgusting is good...

I have mixed feelings on getting pregnant. On one hand I like the idea of having a baby with a husband whom I love and loves me back (the only way I'd have a kid). I always told myself that the only way I'd get pregnant is if I am married to the guy (or we are headed that way), he is going to be an equal partner (I would not quit my job) and would be there for me. This includes being there if I was to give birth. In my opinion, if the guy doesn't care to deal with the gross issues in giving birth, then we don't really have a strong relationship in other matters. On the other hand, I don't like the pain and the grossness factor of childbirth so this is why I'm very leery of giving birth.

Oh yeah, when you're horny, disgusting is good...

When I was younger, I used to have a real alterego I'd employ when I'd go out looking to get laid. It wasn't exactly the sanest thing to do, but LORD it was fun.

Wow, this just got O/T.

I'd still be in the waiting room!

I NEVER forgot the excruciating pain of labor and I never will. I had piggy-back labor of 6 hours and never got a break from the pain. Also, I split from front to back when my son was actually born, his head was at an oblique angle. It took two hours and over 200 stitches to patch me up! Funny thing, though, you can't tell it ever happened. After about 2 months I was as good as new. I never wanted to do it again, though, and I never did.

Imagine a broad-shouldered, fit man, a little over 6' tall, quite masculine where not much phases him. This best describes my brother who fainted in the delivery room during the birth of his first son!

So, I ended up to be my sister-in-law's birthing partner for their second son, since we all banned him, including himself...haha...

When I had my son by planned c-section, there was a short period of time when my husband and I were apart because they were prepping me for surgery and my husband was getting his OR outfit on. The nurses told me that he was so nervous that he was looking "unresponsive" so they had to offer him ginger ale and talk to him to assess whether he was ok to come into the OR with me.

He was extremely nervous when I was getting the c-section. I thought he was going to pass out when my doctor said to me jokingly "You are beautiful from the inside". I had to talk to him to keep him distracted. Once the baby was delivered he got a little queasy from the sight of the cord. He didn't want to cut it. Once the baby was cleaned up and wrapped in a blanket for him to hold, he was fine.

For some people, hospitals are very scary places to begin with. I think the uncertainty of the birth outcome, seeing once's partner in pain, and seeing things like blood, placenta, and a cord can be really unsettling to some new dads.

I knew my husband was going to be more nervous than I was on the day we had our little boy.

Archived