I don’t care for my engagement ring

NatNat

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well obviously I dont want to hurt his feels so Im not going to exchange it. But I want my dimonds on the back to be fixed!

If they are popping out like you said, you should get them fixed. He should want to get them fixed. You dont want to walk around with diamonds falling out of your ring. lol

Bring it to a jewerly store and ask how much to get it fixed. I know that most bands are a lot less expensive then the diamond itself so, if it costs more to get it fixed then getting a new band....then get a new band. Bring your SO along so you guys can figure out what the best option is.

I had to cut my wedding ring from my finger. It is a fairly plan band with some small detailing around the edges. The jeweller fixed it so you can barely see the interruption in the detailing, resized and polished it like new. It cost less than $100.

For the love of marriage, guys you need to either take the woman to pick it out or get her best girlfriend who knows her to help with the ring!

I'm the first person to say that one should focus on the marriage not the ceremony, but an engagement ring or wedding ring is something I feel is VERY personal, if it doesn't reflect my tastes, what I like, than it will irritate me for a lifetime, I have to wear it for the rest of my life, I should love it...

I could care less about what others have, but I want my ring to be reflective of my tastes and me, and I want to love it.....if a man is clueless as to what his woman loves, enlist her in buying it, it's worth sacrificing the surprise of presenting it without her knowledge....

I understand your dilemma OP, except the jealousy part...trust me, some woman has a much bigger diamond than you somewhere, being jealous is a waste of your energy, and will not bring you happiness.

Take it to the jeweler it was bought from, insist they fix it without cost to you and see what happens..

But like I said before.....The ring itself is not insured. He got it from a place that was going out of business. Soo how do I get it fixed now when its not insured?

So the store where he bought the diamond is no longer in business? I would try taking it to the jeweler where he got the center diamond, and getting estimates for the repair. Perhaps the jeweler can modify the band so that there are no diamonds in the back, so that it will cost less to repair.

Pay to get the diamond reset in the band of your choice yourself-you don't have to tell him as he may not notice.

There is no way I am not going to tell him.He is going to be included in anything I do with that ring.

You are excited when you first get the ring...but AFTER a few months of wearing it and you see a bunch of your girlfriends with BIGGER ROCKS and nicer rings ...You start to look at yours like its not that good and you dont even want to go around them with your ring because there ring blowes yours our of the WATER!!!

Is it a contest of who has a better ring?

I thought an engagement meant a promise to marry and it was about the man you were going to marry and not the ring he put on your finger.

Honestly, since I got engaged/married I've seen plenty of rings that might be bigger and more expensive than mine, but that really isn't important- what is is the man who gave it to me and the feelings and commitment that came along with him giving it to me and marrying me, and how I feel about him.

Do you love this guy? Want to marry him and spend your life with him?

Doesn't anyone else find it rather crass that someone should dictate what sort of a gift they expect to receive from another person including the style, the price and so on? It's about as romantic as negotiating a dowry.

How can anyone knowingly hurt the person they say they love by turning their nose up at the ring he chose.

Seriously...when my SO proposed I didn't give a hoot about the ring he got, I was so freakin excited about him proposing! I know some people will say exchange it or whatever but I wouldn't in a million years, even if I hated it. There is way too much meaning behind the orginial ring he got you. Its takes some men a lot of courage/planning to propose.

I agree. I know if my bf proposed that he would have put HOURS and HOURS researching, searching, considering, choosing, and thinking about which ring to get. No matter how it looked, I would be honored that he proposed.

You are excited when you first get the ring...but AFTER a few months of wearing it and you see a bunch of your girlfriends with BIGGER ROCKS and nicer rings ...You start to look at yours like its not that good and you dont even want to go around them with your ring because there ring blowes yours our of the WATER!!!

If my gf ever mentioned dissatisfaction because someone else had a bigger rock, or someone else's guy spent $x on her so the money I spent is no longer enough, the only thing I would buy her is a one-way ticket to Singleville.

Doesn't anyone else find it rather crass that someone should dictate what sort of a gift they expect to receive from another person including the style, the price and so on? It's about as romantic as negotiating a dowry.

How can anyone knowingly hurt the person they say they love by turning their nose up at the ring he chose.

No I don't find it crass at all, I wouldn't call it dictating either, or turning my nose up, it's called being honest about who I am, and being honest with my partner. Now I am not saying your comment was directed at me, but it could apply to me, because I think the ring matters and if I don't love it it won't make me happy. My husband feels the same way, if I got him something he hated, he would tell me, he also expressed wanting something he loves. We picked ours out together because we both knew our budget and wanted something reflective of us. I think this is the first of many financial decisions a couple has to make together, after all any debt incurred will be shared. Was it super romantic, no, am I happy, yes, is he, yes..that makes for a good start on the long road of marriage....and I have many years in, so I know of what I speak...

You don't have the luxury of being politically correct in a marriage, if you are not honest about even the basic things it will impede your happiness...it's nice to have romantic notions about things, but much better to be grounded in reality and express your true feeling about things, gifts included...

Well, my wife and I chose the ring together but if I had chosen it on my own I would have had grave doubts about marrying had it been rejected. There are some things in a relationship that you make sacrifices for and that particularly applies when you know that you are going to hurt your partner. Some times you have to just suck it up and love what you are given because of who gave it to you.

Yup I agree, completely. I guess its because anything my SO picks for me I love because it comes from HIM.

There will always be a woman with a bigger rock. There will always be husbands with fatter paychecks, families with bigger houses, and parents with more beautiful children. You'll drive yourself mad if you keep this mentality.

I kind of get this. If I'm going to wear it for the rest of my life, it would be nice if I could at least like it.

When we were talking about marriage, my husband was going to get a ring made for us back in his country for cheap. A friend of his was having a ring made for his fiance and it would have been cheap to get a second one done at the same time. We were not able to get pictures of what it would look like.

I flat out said I would refuse the thing. Why should I wear some random piece of jewellry that neither my husband nor I had a chance to see before it was picked out? Just because it was cheap? Nope, don't think so.

Wow. I thought love and marriage was about two people sharing a life together, not about the women comparing rings. If you're more concerned about "one upping" your friends, then I think you should re-evaluate why you're getting married. Truthfully, you would be happy wearing a Cracker-Jack ring for the rest of your life if you're marrying for the right reasons.

Just because the insurance is gone doesn't mean you two can't get it fixed. Take it to a jeweler (a local place, not a mall-store) and get an estimate.

This just makes me realize how amazing my girlfriend really is. Thank you...

Archived