Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

What book are you currently reading?

metrogirl

in the middle of reading "Attached" by Amir Levine. Pretty insightful on attachment theory.

I thought this one was very interesting, and it gave me a new perspective on behavior in relationships.

I'm re-reading the Dragonriders of Pern trilogy right now. Just finished "Subliminal" by Leonard Mlodinow - that was very interesting! Highly recommend it.

I thought this one was very interesting, and it gave me a new perspective on behavior in relationships.

I'm re-reading the Dragonriders of Pern trilogy right now. Just finished "Subliminal" by Leonard Mlodinow - that was very interesting! Highly recommend it.

I read Dragonsong a long time ago (an english teacher gave it to me). It takes place hundreds of years after the events of Pern in the original series. I liked it a lot. It was one of the first books with a female lead that wasn't about men (either wanting to or wanting not to get married to them). That blew me away in 7th grade.

Finished link removed by Veronica Roth. Second book of the Divergent trilogy... FUN story, never a dull moment. I could not put this book down and actually got agitated whenever I had to. Highly recommend this and the first book even though it is young adult. Roth is an amazing suspense writer that keeps readers on their toes. Her last book, Allegiant, releases in 2 months.

The Graveyard Book is awesome. Highly recommend. Neil Gaiman is boss.

I've read 4 parts of the Magnus Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare... it's starting to pick up. My book club is starting link removed

If you like a good detective novel, I'd recommend anything by Jo Nesbo. I've been hooked on him lately. I especially loved "Phantom" and "The Devil's Star".

I like Neil Gaiman a lot so far too . . . so far I've read "Starlight" and "Coraline" and liked them both. I'll have to check out "The Graveyard Book".

It was one of the first books with a female lead that wasn't about men (either wanting to or wanting not to get married to them).

I like the strong female leads in this series as well.

The last book I read in which the female point of view was very well represented was "The Mists of Avalon". Have you read that one? Author is Marrion Zimmer Bradley. I'd love to do this one for book club but it's too long.

I've heard a lot about it but I haven't read it.

If you love Gaiman, you should check out "Good Omens". He co-authored it with Terry Pratchett and I think it's his best work (I haven't read Sandman, to be fair). "Good Omens" is laugh out loud funny. I've only ever actually belly laughed because of four authors and those books were "When you are Engulfed in Flames" by Sedaris, The Hitchhikers Guide series, Catch-22, and Good Omens.

"Neverwhere" and "American Gods" are also good. I gave up on American Gods about 3/4ths the way through because I got bored but a lot of people love it and it's going to be an HBO series. I give up on books more easily than most people as I have a massive reading list and get easily distracted if I feel a book isn't getting somewhere or at least being entertaining.

I've heard a lot about it but I haven't read it.

If you love Gaiman, you should check out "Good Omens". He co-authored it with Terry Pratchett and I think it's his best work (I haven't read Sandman, to be fair). "Good Omens" is laugh out loud funny. I've only ever actually belly laughed because of four authors and those books were "When you are Engulfed in Flames" by Sedaris, The Hitchhikers Guide series, Catch-22, and Good Omens.

"Neverwhere" and "American Gods" are also good. I gave up on American Gods about 3/4ths the way through because I got bored but a lot of people love it and it's going to be an HBO series. I give up on books more easily than most people as I have a massive reading list and get easily distracted if I feel a book isn't getting somewhere or at least being entertaining.

Jesus, man. Read Sandman. I don't want to sound like a douche but I really believe that Gaiman came as close to Shakespeare as any human has in the past 300 years. Prove me wrong -- so goddamn good. Read just the first book with Morphius invading Hell and tell me I'm wrong. And then it gets better from there.

Almost finished reading "Zealot" by Reza Aslan. For the life of me I cannot figure out what the controversy is about. Its a decent read, has some interesting information, and is clearly not about religion. Over all I would give it a 3.5/5.

Is anyone else here reading it?

Almost finished reading "Zealot" by Reza Aslan. For the life of me I cannot figure out what the controversy is about. Its a decent read, has some interesting information, and is clearly not about religion. Over all I would give it a 3.5/5.

Was thinking about it. I assume you saw his interview on Fox News? Holy crap, what an embarassment to our country.

i was interested in reading this book, i dunno anymore, lol

I am currently reading 3 books

Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon- its a cookbook for serious health nuts it contradicts everything we have been taught about our heath and the food we put in our mouths, and it is blowing my mind.

River of Doubt by Candice Millard---It's about Teddy Roosevelt's crazy ride through the Amazon, I'm learning that this man had some serious b*lls, and it's also blowing my mind.

The Forgotten Garden By Kate Morton---Light fiction? it's a mystery novel that is entirely engrossing and pretty well written.

I can't wait to get my hands on MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood

I loved his first book "A Curios Incident of the Dog in the Night-time"

What do you love about it? I saw it at Goodwill one day and almost bought it.

Most recently, I re-read The Hunger Games series. As for books I have not finished reading for the first time, there's "White Fang" by Jack London. I loved "The Call of the Wild" back in high school.

What do you love about it? I saw it at Goodwill one day and almost bought it.

Most recently, I re-read The Hunger Games series. As for books I have not finished reading for the first time, there's "White Fang" by Jack London. I loved "The Call of the Wild" back in high school.

I read "white fang" when I was in 5th grade. It was probably my first adult novel. I need to reread it because I'm sure I missed like everything of importance and literary merit.

I felt like the Hunger Games could have been vastly improved by one change. I don't want to spoil though.

Curious/Nighttime was an interesting book. I found it too pandering to the autistic perspective though. Trying too hard.

"Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness" by Susannah Cahalan. A gripping true story as relayed by a New York journalist. A true medical mystery that will have you in the edge of your chair. I bet it will be made into a movie.

I also think that it has given us a crack of information that will be invaluable in understanding and treating schizophrenia and bipolar- or at least some of the cases.

Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman

Oh, cool! Gaiman is one of my top four all-time favorite authors, and Anansi Boys is one of my fave books of his.

I'm finishing up the final book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. As a huge King fan, I'm not sure why it took me until now to read this - but I love it! Actually, I'm sitting here at work wearing a Dark Tower t-shirt that my boyfriend got me.

Oh, cool! Gaiman is one of my top four all-time favorite authors, and Anansi Boys is one of my fave books of his.

I'm finishing up the final book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. As a huge King fan, I'm not sure why it took me until now to read this - but I love it! Actually, I'm sitting here at work wearing a Dark Tower t-shirt that my boyfriend got me.

After wheel of time, I probably will move onto the Dark Tower series. I had heard about it for a long time and had no idea it was Stephen King until I checking out Gunslinger in the bookstore the other day.

After wheel of time, I probably will move onto the Dark Tower series. I had heard about it for a long time and had no idea it was Stephen King until I checking out Gunslinger in the bookstore the other day.

It's excellent! The first book wasn't great, but if you can get through it, the rest of the series is fantastic.

Reading The Ocean At The End of the Lane now, so damn good from the first page onward.