Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

What book are you currently reading?

metrogirl

Haha, hey Grace. Funny, I've tried Quicksilver half a dozen times but never get more than 20% through it -- just too dense. I keep hearing that it gets better and volume 2 is terrific, more of a pirate/action novel, but need to push myself to get there. Crypto is just so damn good, tho. I rarely read books a second time but finding now that the second time through might be even better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

my ex-boyfriend gave this to me as a gift. I love the lion , the witch , and the wardrobe but find it hard to read. I prefer the watching the movies. This book is 767 pags long !! I was curious what else happened in Narnia besides the lion, witch, and wardrobe bit. But just cannot seem to concentrate and read it. i guess it is made to be read by kids. I just get lost in it somehow.

are the other stories good ??

I personally think the other stories are far better. Prince Caspian and Horse and His Boy are meh, The Silver Chair pretty good, but The Voyage of The Dawn Treader, The Magician's Nephew and The Last Battle are simply incredible. I've never found something closer to what I hope death to be like than the end of TVotDT, but maybe that's just me. Fortunately they're pretty light reads and blow by pretty quick. Best of luck.

Yeah, you kinda do. I always had read them in the order they were written in, which was fine, as it's fun to see how they tie together, but they sell them now in chronological order, which I think is less interesting:

As Published

Wardrobe

Caspian

Treader

Chair

Horse

Nephew

Battle

Chrono

Nephew

Wardrobe

Horse

Caspian

Treader

Chair

Battle

I've recommended The Magicians and its sequel The Magician King earlier in this thread, both of which are crazy good yet way more adult, and it's amazing how much they were influenced by / act as a love story to the seven books above. You really can't read them without know all seven of these books well.

I'm reading a book by Eckart Tolle (totally wrong spelling) about potential. I don't remember the name but he is a good writer.

I'm also reading a book called "The How NOT to cookbook" about all the things that you shouldn't do when you cook. Lots of good tips (which I need).

I'm reading "The Power of Now" by Tolle. It's an interesting book and is really hitting home for me in some areas

• 2 weeks later...
Just got Cloud Atlas too. So far so good.

Cool. Are you excited to see the movie? The movie trailer threw me for a loop...It didn't seem to be based on the book at first. Then when I saw the extended trailer on youtube, it resembled the book. I'm excited to see the movie but I'll hold off till I finish the book... Check out the extended trailer if you haven't seen it yet...it's awesome!

Cool. Are you excited to see the movie? The movie trailer threw me for a loop...It didn't seem to be based on the book at first. Then when I saw the extended trailer on youtube, it resembled the book. I'm excited to see the movie but I'll hold off till I finish the book... Check out the extended trailer if you haven't seen it yet...it's awesome!

Yeah, the extended trailer is unbelievable. Cannot wait for the movie... except that I just found out that while the US release date is this week, they moved the UK release date back to February. What the hell?