Do you give money to beggars?

Lucy__lou

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in a city with a very large number of homeless and panhandlers (I differentiate between the two because I suspect that a lot of our panhandlers here are NOT homeless). I get approached at least once a week, sometimes as many as several times a week, by different panhandlers. Some are very polite and low-key; others are very threatening and aggressive. There is one woman who just wanders around, all over the city, making up different sob stories, approaching people very dramatically, waving them down and saying things like "My kids are at the mall and I need to get to them but I don't have money for the bus, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!" She's very dramatic, very loud, and obviously VERY much making up stories. She actually once stepped in front of my car, into the street, trying to get me to stop and roll down my window to talk to her. I honked my horn and swerved around her.

I do give money, on occasion, but I usually don't. I do not feel comfortable handing over money to support drug/alchol addiction, which is the case with a lot of our panhandlers here. I know they'll get the money anyway, from someone else, and they'll still get high/drunk, but if I don't give the money, at least I know I haven't contributed to their problem. When I do give, it's to people who are polite, non-aggressive, and who approach me in a non-threatening way. If they're loud, abrasive, say "Hey! Hey!!! Excuse me!!!!!" and follow after me in a parking lot, they're not getting any of my spare change. If they approach my car and stand next to it waiting for me to get out, they're not getting any change. If they approach me at night -- no way. If they approach me next to an ATM, as I've had a few do, they're not getting anything, AND they're going to hear something from me. I know that in some cities -- I think San Francisco is one of them -- it's illegal to panhandle within 20 feet of an ATM.

I care about the welfare of others, but I would prefer to give to charitable organizations to help the homeless/poor rather than handing money to people who may use it to buy alcohol or drugs.

Unfortunately I do give money to beggars. He is 19 and shares my DNA.

I've got a couple of those as well

Here in Toronto, we have a lot of homeless people and I won't give them any money anymore. We have lots of shelters and missions that can make sure those that are actually in need of a meal, shelter or a warm hat or blanket can get what they need, far better to donate to them. There was a big news story here a couple of years ago about a woman panhandler who was a total fake. She actually lived in a nice house in the burbs with a big screen tv etc. A complete scammer.

Our winters are very cold and there are organizations that go out in vans on nights when there are cold weather alerts, to take the homeless to shelters so they won't turn into popsicles, and alot of them just refuse to go, because they know they can't drink there. They're making their choice, I'd hate to give a penny of my hard earned money to someone like that.

I like the idea of the parking meters.

No, but I bought a cup of coffee for one once on an extremely cold day. I feel sympathy for the homeless, but you don't know who is genuine and who is faking, and who will just use their money on booze on alcohol. thereforeeee, the best thing to do is to donate money to charities who help the homeless, or give them something practical like food, drink or clothing.

I live in Canada also. I don't see many beggars around here. Occasionally I will see some young beggar but he'll look pretty well-off, I don't feel too bad when they're dressed the way they are and are pretty young, so no I don't give them money.

Now the country I'm originally from is very poor and you'll see them all the time. They range from toddlers to elderly people, mostly indigenous, discriminated people who are in pretty bad shape. If I have money on me of course I will give them some. Or food. I remember when I was younger and I was on vacation back home, at the intersection we gave some beggar kids some left-over pizza we were carrying. In seconds and out of nowhere all these other kids gathered around, they went crazy and starting fighting for it. It made me really sad. When they're in those conditions, of course I'll give them money or food; The ones where I live in now I won't because I don’t feel to bad for them. They get a lot of help from the government whereas in my homecountry they get none.

giving money to homeless people is a horrible idea. you might think you're giving yourself a pat on the back, but you're really perpetuating a problem and telling these people it's OKAY to stand at the corner and ask for money. give money to a responsible organization like a homeless shelter or food bank where they'll make sure the money is spent right.

then if you really care, see what your politicians (vote people!) are doing to help these homeless people who often need counseling and rehabilitation to recuperate and join society. solving things on a long-term basis is really the way to go to solve these problems.

I don't give money to panhandlers. I live in a college town...and it's a small town, but the university brings like 50,000 college kids to it, so basically this town wouldn't be much of anything if the university didn't generate so much commerce. Up until a month or so ago, there were TONS of beggars around here--in a college town!!! Half of us can't afford our own food! Granted, there are a lot of kids who are here on mommy and daddy's bank account, but those usually aren't the type who will roll down the window of the beemer that their daddy bought for them to give some homeless guy a buck. Anyways, my town passed a law against panhandling, so no one can beg here anymore.

It makes me angry when I see these fat guys standing on a corner with perfectly good clothes on, looking showered and well-fed, begging for MY MONEY? I just don't understand why they can't get jobs. Of course, I know it's just cause they don't WANT to.

However, one time this woman came up to my house, she looked like a sorry wreck...I gave her a half a loaf of bread, a can of tuna, and a bottle of water. Who knows if she ate it. It's better than handing out money.

It makes me angry when I see these fat guys standing on a corner with perfectly good clothes on, looking showered and well-fed, begging for MY MONEY? I just don't understand why they can't get jobs. Of course, I know it's just cause they don't WANT to.

Most of the "homeless" people inAtlanta standing on the street corners begging for money are better dressed than I am.

I personally try to give something to anyone who asks...so if it is a beggar it might only be a dollar or a coffee or sandwhich...I prefer personally to give money to organizations that help the homeless, the hurting etc rather then the individual themselves...

On a purely logical, but at risk of being simplistic level, I understand the 'don't give money to beggars who just want it for drugs' argument. But someone I asked this once, who was Budhist, in reference to heroin addicts said something to me which I thought was beautifully compassionate. he said that even though heroin is a harmful and highly addictive drug and giving money to an addict will be giving them heroin, that he would and does give them money if he can because it is to alleviate their suffering. It's short term, I know, and doesn't help the problem at the root, but it still made me think twice about the idea that it's useless to give an addict money.

There's also the fact that even if it is kind of money going down the drain, and that it encourages begging, that sometimes, if someone who is down on their luck is given a break, rather than constant knock backs that it will make them feel that all is not completely hopeless.

In my city, with the significant class division between the indigenous and non indigenous people, I can't help but wonder if the fact that many people do give change is at least keeping some of the racial tensions at bay.

I really don't know though. Thank you everyone for your responses. I was very impressed by the idea for the devices which look like parking metres for giving to homeless shelters. I would like to see them where I live.

One good thing about beggars though, is that they make us uncomfortable and confront us with inequalities in our society that we'd often like to not think about. So if you give change or don't, if you allow it to make you uncomfortable, you might make steps towards addressing these problems at the root; inadequate support for people with mental illness, shortages of affordable housing and shelters, lack of general social safety nets, systems and social factors which allow people to fall through the cracks and get to the point where they end up turning to drugs and alcohol to numb their suffering. You will rarely find out the story behind someone who doesn't appear to be doing the best they could to lift themselves up.

I was sorry to not hear more responses from people who do give to pan handlers. I still don't know how I will handle these confrontations in the future. I'll try to keep an open mind, but I think I'll stick to mostly not giving money, unless the person looks like they really need someone to give them a break. And I'll perhaps test the waters some more with the more aggressive beggars. I'm a bit scared of being beaten up. Irrational maybe.

As for those who believe that anyone can succeed if they want to, (and just letting you know this is a tangent), I recently saw a documentary which I very much recommend called status anxiety by alain de botton, who argues that America's unique ideals of meritocracy and equality have lead to a large gap between what people think they can achieve and what they usually do achieve. High expectations based on the belief that anyone can make it, which lead people to get down on themselves for not being what they think they could be, and contempt for those who are down and out. Interesting stuff. He draws this diagram which defines how you get self esteem. It looks like this:

self esteem = success

________

expectations

and if you want self esteem you need your expectations to be not so high that you'll fail to succeed. You can either try to succeed more or you can lower your expectations. Either way, you end up with self esteem if it's balanced. But American society is all about increasing people's wants, desires, expectations and hopes of being famous etc, which leads people to be anxious, and take lots of prozac.

sorry, told you it was a tangent. interesting though, yes?

It's a case by case thing. I'm pretty good at reading people (not judging) and it all depends on the vibe that I get from that person. That determines whether or not I approach them and offer help.

I never give more than $5. I do this is because I feel that $5 is enough to buy something to eat and drink.

I live in NYC which is full of tramps, drug addicts, drunken vet (sorry to say) and theives. Let's not forget the highest taxed/raped state

The other day I watched a man ask a lady for a cigarette (she was smoking one), as she went to give him one he stole her purse! I see it too much, it is sad.

I love the crack addicts and their babies who feed off of the poor working suckers paycheck ... but in return they are laying down for the top drug lord of the area driving Caddys and Lexus'...

I despise the white, back, puerto ricans who have kid after kid living off the systems for a lifetime

I know there are "honest" beggers out there but I still would never contribute to that. My motto is if you can walk, your lucky - THAT MEANS YOU CAN GET A JOB! Heck - I know disabled, blind and deaf people out there as top state officials.

Beggers are peddling theives

It's a case by case thing. I'm pretty good at reading people (not judging) and it all depends on the vibe that I get from that person. That determines whether or not I approach them and offer help.

I never give more than $5. I do this is because I feel that $5 is enough to buy something to eat and drink.

Or a bottle of wine or cheap whisky.

if i do anything i'll give them food.... like a burger from a takeout, a bottle of water, or a packet of crisps or something like that (i usually see them hanging around food establishments in my town, and yes, I actually do usually have a backpack full of random food lol). Once a guy threw a burger at me shouting "I'm not gunna eat your poison" which brought some very weird looks lol....

i refuse to give them money because you never know what it's going to be used for. Drinks, drugs, sex, rock and roll... ;-) you get the picture

once my girlfriend bought a guy with a dog (so common) some dogfood and dog biscuits. I thought that was a good idea until the man opened the biscuits and started eating them.

I strongly prefer not to (major U.S. city) because most of the time I am concerned that the money will go to drugs or alcohol and sometimes I am concerned that the person doesn't need the money, for whatever reason (scam, etc). Once in awhile I have a safety concern. But, I have at times. Instead I give of my money and time to people in need through established charities and organizations.

Where I lived back in Seattle, the homeless standing in the corner made up to $23,000 a year. A lot of money for just standing around begging!!!

Like people say give them food, water, or clothes. If they are really in need especially. I hardly give them money though few times during Christmas I did.

If a beggar asks for a dollar or less, sure. But sometimes the beggar continues asking even after he or she has been given what was initially asked; going from (perhaps) humble to very greedy. I do not judge what that person will do with the money. While some do not use money wisely as a means of happiness, their wellfare, at least for a short amount of time, is heightened. If I can, too, I start a conversation and at least go beyond the stranger-to-stranger level.

I'm a college student, so I don't usually have enough money to liberally give to those who ask. But if it is money that I know I am not going to use (such as a bunch of quarters in my pocket that have gone untouched for a few days), I don't mind.

Archived