Do you give money to beggars?

Lucy__lou

If a beggar asks for a dollar or less, sure. But sometimes the beggar continues asking even after he or she has been given what was initially asked; going from (perhaps) humble to very greedy. I do not judge what that person will do with the money. While some do not use money wisely as a means of happiness, their wellfare, at least for a short amount of time, is heightened. If I can, too, I start a conversation and at least go beyond the stranger-to-stranger level.

I'm a college student, so I don't usually have enough money to liberally give to those who ask. But if it is money that I know I am not going to use (such as a bunch of quarters in my pocket that have gone untouched for a few days), I don't mind.

I don't agree that the money helps the person's welfare if he or she uses it for drugs or to get drunk. It certainly hurts my wallet and hurts the other people to whom my money could have gone for a better purpose.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was in my teens and working at a fast food restaurant, I would give a burger to a homeless person that asked (they didn't make a habit of it as far as I know).

So I will give them food, but other than that I don't give them anything. There is enough work and programs available in this country for them to do something with themselves, they would just rather prey on the sympathy of others.

I don't. I don't have much money and I earned it through work. Why should I give it to some bum who didn't do anything?

I've also had experiences where the person was very ungrateful and seemed disgusted that more money wasn't given. That makes me less likely to give money to someone.

Oh that's the worst. They should be thankful they got anything. It's not like you owe them anything.

They should be thankful they got anything. It's not like you owe them anything.

It's a bit different here in Australia with the down and out indigenous groups. We stole their land only 220 years ago, and the stolen generation (those kidnapped by the State between 1909 and 1969,est. 10% of Indigenous population) aren't happy. The difference in life expectancy between indigenous Australians and non indigenous is 17 years.

Most of us know we aren't doing enough to correct this, and it's all so recent that there's a lot of guilt felt. The main time we're confronted by our all too recent past is when panhandlers hit us up for change, and it's like 'oh yeah, we have an indigenous underclass in this country and they're a mess, and now I have to acknowledge it'. There's rarely an attempt made to say it's for food. Everyone knows its for alcohol and cigarettes.

It's a bit different here in Australia with the down and out indigenous groups. We stole their land only 220 years ago, and the stolen generation (those kidnapped by the State between 1909 and 1969,est. 10% of Indigenous population) aren't happy. The difference in life expectancy between indigenous Australians and non indigenous is 17 years.

Most of us know we aren't doing enough to correct this, and it's all so recent that there's a lot of guilt felt. The main time we're confronted by our all too recent past is when panhandlers hit us up for change, and it's like 'oh yeah, we have an indigenous underclass in this country and they're a mess, and now I have to acknowledge it'. There's rarely an attempt made to say it's for food. Everyone knows its for alcohol and cigarettes.

that is really stupid. its called survival of the fittest. if they couldn't defend their land back then thats their own fault. if people really wanted to "CORRECT" this, then give them their land back. not gonna happen.

I was walking down the street the other day and witnessed some man asking people for spare change. A person walking by reached into his pocket and handed the guy a handful of pennies and the beggar threw them and started screaming that he didn't want any f _ _ ing pennies!!

I'm willing to bet that guy refrains from giving out anymore money.

I think the idea that giving money to beggars who in turn might use it to buy alcohol is a little bit outdated. I'm only speaking based on my experiences working in downtown Atlanta for years and admittedly I'm only assuming it's like this in all large cities. The beggars in downtown Atlanta are not misguided souls who had it and lost it by means of alcohol addiction or other substance abuse. These are people who make a living pissing on the kind nature of other people.

I'm a very kind hearted person and it took a little while for me to adjust to the ruthless and manipulative nature applied by these so called homeless. Whether it's the white guy with the 5 minute story about why he needs $8.25 for a bus ticket that costs $1.75 who remarkably never managed to use the money I saw people give him to actually purchase the ticket, or whether it's the remarkably well dressed black guy who seems to overcome his walking disability when he's made enough money, but double checks by counting the wad of bills right in front of you.

Lets face it, that's not you making the decision of whether or not you are feeling sorry for someone who tried and failed, then fell on bad luck. That isn't you feeling sympathy for a drunk and giving him money even though you know he's going to buy booze with it. It's keeping people in business who are in the business of lying to those who don't know any better. It's no different than the telemarketers you hang up on or the junk mail you discard. These people just happen to be right in your face.

If I come accross a beggar in downtown Atlanta who makes me think that he actually needs that money for something worthwhile then I will consider it. I haven't encountered many of those and for the rest of them they will get either no response or not a pleasant one.

You know, most of the time I take public transport. Otherwise known as THE BUS.

I live in Canada too, and though my city isn't exactly highly known or famed, we do have more than our fair share of homeless, people in need, and crime.

I've seen a lot of it, and even been someone right on the line myself, and work with people every day who depend on the system and people to help them in order to improve their standard of living. Some people fall through the cracks, of course.

Anyways, I was thinking about this and giving to 'beggars' while downtown. I spend a lot of time in the downtown and "poorer" areas of the city - for work, and because I've lived there and know people there.

It strikes me that instead of worrying about giving/not giving money, coffee whatever on the street......what is really needed is simply for people to ACKNOWLEDGE these people a little more.

I've seen a man who had a nasty wound on his leg, and urine running down his leg, and was out of it on drugs and quite likely gasoline. He smelled of poop, urine, gas.

The people that simply ignored him - as if he did not exist - that distresses me. Sure, you are busy; but aren't we all?!

On top of that, judging and yelling at him.

He belonged in a hospital. ...and no one even seemed to care.

The apathy, the "we see this all the time now it is normal and I don't even notice" is scarier any day to choosing to keep your money in your pocket, or to give.

Just a thought. Sometimes it is as though the people around outside are living in such alternate realities from each other (and we are) to the point where we don't even notice each other...or care.

that is really stupid. its called survival of the fittest. if they couldn't defend their land back then thats their own fault. if people really wanted to "CORRECT" this, then give them their land back. not gonna happen.

well I promised not to get political, so I won't reply to this one.

Archived