Embarrassed about my dating situation

river1007

I'm a little confused about my situation and need advice.

First a little background, I work at a small business that has 3 office locations. Everyone has communication via instant messaging and do not always work together.

My co-worker/friend, let's call him Jack, was dating a fellow colleague, let's call her Jill, up until July of this year. Everyone at the office found out, except for the higher ups that they were dating and the relationship ended.

Jill started talking to me in August, and at first it was friendly. We went out for dinner in September and just hang out, not romantically BTW. We saw that we liked each other and started dating shortly after. We have been seeing each other since September and since then have met Jill's family.

Jack is ok with me dating Jill. But....I know I'm going to sound like a jerk or a-hole for saying this, because everyone at work found out that Jack and Jill were dating, even my sister who works for the same business, I'm a little embarrassed in bringing her home to meet my family. I know ultimately I shouldn't care what people think, but I can't help but feel like this.

Jack and Jill break up in July. Then Jill starts talking to you in August. You then meet her non romantically for dinner in sept

and end up dating her!?

How long did she date Jack for?

When you met her family did they ask how Jack is?

I’m sorry but you seemed to think Jill was just being friendly and arranged to have a work colleague non romantic dinner with you. Well that escalated quickly into dating.

You clearly knew she was on the rebound , so I’m not sure why you actively participated?

Jack and Jill went up a hill to fetch a pail of water , jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill cane tumbling after.

Except you saved her on the way down?

I don’t think you are embarrassed to bring her to see your family for the reasons you say.

I think you are embarrassed because you know it’s a rebound for her and will be short lived.

Will this fling have any impact on your credibility at work? That’s what should concern you?

I also wonder what your coworkers think. There might be cracks about how Jill is dating her way through the entire company. Or crude jokes about the "company bicycle".

If you're ashamed of what your family will think of the woman you're dating...why date her? It won't be pleasant for either of you when you explain how you don't want her to meet Mom because you're embarrassed.

I know for myself, if I am embarrassed by something or someone in my life, then I know it's not right.

evaluate why you feel this way.....

dating from the office pool isn't always the best idea. but it does work for the couples with pure intentions. intent makes a difference.

I know for myself, if I am embarrassed by something or someone in my life, then I know it's not right.

Yep. As a very wise person in my life always says... don't do $hit you can't talk about. If you are uncomfortable being open what you are doing, there is probably a good chance that it's something that either goes against your values and beliefs or it's something you were previously self-righteous and judgmental about. Either way its a good chance for reflection.

Archived