Opinions please :)

Sunshine7

More solid would probably mean to me, personally, that it's become more permanent- maybe because of increased trust or maybe in a practical way -that now you're going to see each other more often. For example I met a coworker 2 years ago at a work event. We had lunch once, then again, now we have a routine where we get together for lunch every 1-2 months - so we are more "solid" because we know we're going to hang out regularly. And she said to me a few months ago that she finds me to be a very good listener, etc so that also was more solid because it was more personal.

I am deliberately giving a gender-neutral explanation because I think you're looking for a "sign" of what solid means romantically. Here's what I think it means if I'm right and that is what you are getting at. If you're already committed and exclusive it probably means that you two are even stronger as a couple. If you're friends and you're wanting more here is what I would read into it: nothing at all. It's a nice compliment and meaningless as far as whether there is a romantic interest.

Here is what's really strange -if I had a loving friendship with a man and we were both straight and he said that -since it's such a close friendship I'd ask him what he meant. Why haven't you?

Whenever I'm unclear about a statement someone makes, I tend to ask them directly, "Oh? What does that mean to you?"

I also avoid allowing a cloud of ambiguity around my own wants and needs. If I want a romantic relationship with someone, I'm not passive about learning whether he wants the same thing--especially if we're moving toward going sexual. I know myself well enough to know that I bond once I have sex, so I need to be careful about who, exactly, I'll bond WITH.

So I put it on the table: "I tend to think of myself as long term relationship material, and that's what I want for myself. How do you see yourself?"

If I don't feel ready to have the kind of conversation that spells out exactly where 'we' stand with one another--and where we want to stand going forward--then that's okay, I'm just not ready. But then I'm also not ready for sex. I don't believe in sex first, question later. My life has become much simpler ever since I learned that responsible talking needs to come first, and if I'm not ready for that, then nothing else changes until I AM ready.

Head high, and respect your Self.

I agree, if you don't know...best idea is to ask the person who said it. After all, his definition might not be anywhere near what we think.

He might mean more of a stronger platonic friendship but nothing romantically or he might be hinting at romance.

No idea.

If you want to know for sure, ask him.

What's the nature of this friendship? You're posting in a dating forum, so I question whether you are friends who are interested in taking things to a romantic level and date, or are you friends that have already started dating? Is it a more casual, FWB situation, where one of you is interested in something more "solid" and exclusive, while the other wants to keep the status quo? Do you flirt and cuddle but are "just friends," and one person wants more? Are you in a relationship, but one person seems to always have other things to do and is busy and not around much? If he's the one that brought up being more "solid," what's going on with you and what are you doing that makes him feel the relationship is rocky or unstable? Or is he orbiting you in hopes you'll take things to the next level?

You may wish to expand on your relationship with this person as a whole if you want some opinions as to the meaning of "solid" in this situation.

Is this the same guy you've been chasing around and he keeps declining your invitations for coffee? You need to let go, since any romantic interest is one-way and he's just being polite.

I just want an opinion on what the next step is once you already have loving friendship with a guy.

Archived