Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Thoughts, Rants, and Musings

Jibralta

My wife and I play Wii and SNES together a lot. We really like Mario cart or party. My wife is a very good retro gamer so we do those together.

Sometimes we play PC games like Peggle or Worms.

My daughter now plays Peggle with me.

Video games are a big past time for my family. We are potty training my daughter and if she poops on the potty she gets 10 minutes of Kindle game time.

Camping/canoeing is our other big past time.

Games can be dangerous. I actually quit playing World of Warcraft because it was one of the few games I had moderation problems with.

In college my roommate and I would make a lot of money playing WoW. Payed all our bills when in college (except tuition of course). But to make $2k+ a month we played it a lot.

My wife and I play Wii and SNES together a lot. We really like Mario cart or party. My wife is a very good retro gamer so we do those together.

I had NES. My mom didn't get us a whole lot of games, but we did have Super Mario Brothers and Zelda. I conquered Zelda over and over again. Super Mario Brothers, too, but Zelda was different because you could replay the game with your new powers. My boyfriend is talking about getting an old (or new?) NES system so we can play those games, since I haven't been living up to my Diablo duties.

Of course before Nintendo were Atari and Coleco. We had Atari and one or two games like Pac Man and Snoopy and the Red Baron. We didn't have any cool games like Frogger or Donkey Kong. Maybe 20 years ago, someone came out with a joystick that had a bunch of old games loaded onto it. You could plug it into any TV and play. Of course, I bought it. But the joy stick is too stiff (God, that sounds awful), so I never play with it (Can this sentence get any worse?).

SNES came out when I was in college. I played it a little, but I never got as into it as NES. Probably because I didn't actually own a SNES system.

I actually quit playing World of Warcraft because it was one of the few games I had moderation problems with.

In college my roommate and I would make a lot of money playing WoW. Payed all our bills when in college (except tuition of course). But to make $2k+ a month we played it a lot.

I've heard of WoW but I never played it. My boyfriend doesn't play it either.

I had no idea that you could make money playing it. But I just read an article about gold farming, and now I'm informed. It's pretty interesting--a lot like our current financial system.

We are potty training my daughter and if she poops on the potty she gets 10 minutes of Kindle game time.

WOO-HOO!

There's something kind of funny about that.

• Like 1

My roommate and I were the only people in our group to have off campus housing the first year of college.

We both lied on our forms and said we were living with our brother. We had been best friends for a decade already so it wasn't a huge stretch.

So all our friends are pretty nerdy. Going into college we all had multiple home built computers. So we were the only ones with space, so we set ALL the extra computers up at our house.

With a house of 16 computers and a lot of electrical bills we decided to ise them to make money. We got together and wrote a series of scripts that ran in tandem to essentially create a bot for WoW.

So we set each computer up with multiple accounts and had 60 total accounts farming gold. We would then just sell the gold online en masse.

When I sold off all my accounts and stopped I used all the money (a lot) to buy my wife her engagement ring.

I had my interview this morning. I have mixed feelings about it.

I met with the owner of the company. He is 83 years old. Very sharp, very thorough, which I like. But how long will that guy last, and who will run things after him?

The company seems very organized, which is great. But the work seems mundane. My pay rate is within the range that they are willing to pay. But, the benefits are average. The firm is established and employs about 60 people. But it’s a family company, run by the owner and his two sons. So, advancement may be limited. And maybe the sons will fight when their father is gone. Things like that happen.

The interview lasted for 45 minutes. It was pleasant conversation, but I don’t think I’m going to get that job. I don’t know if I am what they are looking for. He said he contacted me because my resume was very unusual. Haha.

I left without even showing him my portfolio. I remembered in the car, on my way to the office, and I didn’t really care.... But I did email a sample of my work to him once I was settled back at my office.

Right after I left the interview, I remembered I had a conference call and had to pull over into a parking lot so that I could attend. During the call, I thought about how involved I was in the project that we were discussing. If I just left, they’d be in the lurch for quite a while.

Then I got back to the office and became involved in another project—the kind of thing that I am indifferent to. I wouldn’t miss some of these projects; I barely understand what I am doing for some of them. That's not entirely a bad thing, though. It keeps me on my toes.

But I feel like there's got to be a better fit for me out there.

I really like construction and if I could work for a company like our GC's company, it would be ideal.

When I was in college, circa 1995, I discovered a radio show called Hearts of Space. It aired on Fridays nights at 11PM. It was very unusual in that they played almost an hour's worth of uninterrupted ambient-type music (they refer to it as "space music"). Back then, hearing unusual music on FM radio like that was pretty rare. Especially music so thoughtfully curated.

I've always been a music hunter, always listening for something new (to me) and interesting. So, I made an effort to listen to and record Hearts of Space whenever I was able. Sometimes the music was not to my taste, but very often it was. The great thing about the show was that the DJ would recap the playlist at the end. Hunting for music was a favorite pastime of mine. Having the artist's name and the song was helpful. But it didn't always guarantee that I could find the song. This was before the internet was what it is now.

Take, for example, this song:

Mercedes (the Passion of the Late Nizam) by Al Gromer Khan and Kai Taschner

It wasn't exactly flying off the shelves in the music stores. I recorded it from Hearts of Space in 1995 and incorporated it into myriad mix tapes that I listened to on long drives (while avoiding homework (and very often, class)). But it wasn't until 2003 that I was able to find the album and purchase it. Now, I can find a good copy on YouTube!

[video=youtube;eUw2-CikucY]

Anyhoo, I digress. Back to the issue at hand:

Hearts of Space now has a website with a subscription service. I've subscribed for years, and have access to every show they've every played, even the ones I listened to back in the 90s. I like about 75% of what they play. The music is interesting and complex, not like that crap they feed you on XM or in day spas.

Today, I was listening to the most recent show, which centers around acoustic guitar. This show belonged in the 25% that I'm not so fond of. I just kept wanting to hear Nick Drake play Three Hours.

And that brings me to my point:

[video=youtube;H_-EGWy8Fek]

The interview lasted for 45 minutes. It was pleasant conversation, but I don’t think I’m going to get that job. I don’t know if I am what they are looking for. He said he contacted me because my resume was very unusual. Haha.

Surprisingly, I’ve been called back for a second interview. I’m kind of freaked out. Just this morning, I was thinking that maybe I would like to do job 2 full time, and leave my current job. Now this.

Am I some sort of a science project for the old man? Ha ha. I know he thought my resume was weird.... Maybe it was the fact that I wore leather pants to the interview (eek)?? Vegan leather, of course (a.k.a. “pleather”) lol.

Well, it looks like I’m going to have to shop for another interview outfit, stat.

I guess I was 'shamed' today by Lulu in one of the clothing departments of Nordstrom. She brought me absolutely beautiful clothing... but it was out of my price range. I didn't catch on until I was fine tuning an outfit that I liked. I looked at the prices and I realized that I would be paying $1500 for an interview outfit consisting of pants, a shirt, and a jacket that I might wear once a year. So, when Lulu came by with the next round of clothes, I said, "Listen, I'm sorry, but the items that you brought are out of my price range." She said, "Oh, I see. Ok. I'll bring you something more moderately priced."

She came back with a nice outfit. Blazer, shirt, pants. She took all of the lovely expensive stuff out. And then she pretty much never came back. There was no one else in the dressing room. I knew she wasn't busy.

I texted my boyfriend, "I think the service level just went down lol," hoping that it wasn't true.... but it was true! I stood there bedecked with Nordstrom clothes, wondering if I was supposed to change back into my regular clothes and slink out of the dressing room like a cur.

Now, I know things can get pricey in Nordstrom, but I've always been able to find something reasonable. And the service is always excellent, so I don't mind paying more. However, these clothes were simply out of my price range and I couldn't buy them.

Little did I know, my oversight had mortally offended Lulu.

I waited, and she did eventually wander back in. Empty-handed.

She asked how the clothes fit. I said, "They fit really well. But do you have this blazer in a different color? I love the fabric, and I love the fit. But..."

"It's too bright?"

"Yeah. Well... What do you think?"

"Yeah, it's a little too bright for an interview. But that's the only color that we have."

"Do you have another blazer that might look good?"

"No."

"Ok. Well I love these pants, but they're too small. Do you have a size up?

"No, sorry."

"Ok. Well, the ones I have on now are fine. Do you have this shirt in a different color?"

"Um... yes. What color were you looking for?" Pained expression on her face.

"Pink?"

"Yes, I have it in pink."

She brought back a pink shirt and left again. She came back again when I had my own velvet blazer over the pink shirt. "Lulu, what do you think of this?"

"What industry did you say you were in again?

"Architecture."

"Oh... Well, I really don't know anything about dressing for an architecture interview." Shrugging.

I wanted to say, "Bullsh*t, Lulu. When you thought I was made of money, you knew all about what I needed. You were even throwing around words like 'funky,' and 'trendy.' I guess you thought 'architect' meant 'investment banker?'"

But instead, I just nodded and said, "Ok." And she scrambled off to stand behind her counter and chat with some other salespeople.

I changed into my street clothes and went to find another sales person. I took the two pieces that I liked with me. Gave Lulu a little wave on my way out of her department.

What a hilariously stupid experience. She's in retail. She's over 50. She obviously relies on sales to make money. She's not an independently wealthy heiress who sells clothes as a hobby. What's with the disdain? Can't stand your own people, Lulu?

It's not like the place was swarming with customers and I was pulling her away from more lucrative sales. The store was practically empty and her department was immaculate.

I bet she doesn't even realize that she's an assh*le.

Thank god I was born with a brain, and not just a stinger.

I went to a place like that to get some nice clothes for an event. My friends parents were paying for everything because it was their event and I didn't have any satisfactory attire.

We came in wearing our work cloths. We were both in college and worked several part time jobs.

We came in wearing our landscaping clothes, there were clean because this was before our shift.

They actually refused to serve us and we had to get his parents to call.

Talk about people out of touch with humanity.

The original woman who refused us was the one that helped us after we were allowed in. She pretty much did nothing but make negative comments to us the entire time.

She saw no issue in being rude so we were less than polite as well.

We spent more money than I would be comfortable spending in 10 years on clothes.

I grew up rather poor. We looked through charity boxes and shopped at goodwill. We got food from food kitchens and church donations. I still occasionally feel pain when I see food thrown away or wasted.

It is inconceivable to me that people waste so much.

I also don't understand why people care about what others wear.

Or how someone is so arrogant that works in retail...

I worked in a high end retail clothing store for a while. Eventually, the other sales woman and I were put off due to the store not making enough profit. Only the husband and wife who own the store work there right now. We all believe that the main reason for poor sales figures now is related to the economy rather than salesmanship. We found that it was best to give customers space and definitely no high pressure sales.

That's a LOT of money. Likely a good portion of the merchandise in the high range.

They actually refused to serve us and we had to get his parents to call.

Talk about people out of touch with humanity.

The original woman who refused us was the one that helped us after we were allowed in. She pretty much did nothing but make negative comments to us the entire time.

Some people should be in a museum. Seriously, sometimes I look at people like that and thing, "What kind of specimen are you?" Because the way they live their life makes no sense to me, and I don't know how they survive. First of all, you make yourself look ridiculous when you look down on other people like that. And secondly, insulting the people who are helping to pay your bills is pretty much the stupidest thing you can do.

That's a LOT of money. Likely a good portion of the merchandise in the high range.

Yes, they do have a lot of high end merchandise. But they do have a decent selection of normally-priced things as well. I get the impression that this lady was trying to teach me a lesson for shopping in her expensive section, like I should have known better. I wonder what planet she's been living on all of these years, and when her spaceship first arrived on Earth.

And the store I worked in is now only open 3 days a week.

Not likely for Nordstrom. But you know, The next saleswoman that I worked with didn't seem particularly surprised that my relationship with Lulu ended so abruptly. I get the impression that she may not be liked much.

So, my interview went horrifyingly well.

I'm having a lot of mixed feelings.

I interviewed with the director of operations, Bob. He was just charming. A breath of fresh air after the welcome I received from the miserable receptionist.

I can't tell if the people who work there are happy or not. The one engineer I met seemed very happy. But the architects pretty much all seemed miserable. I mainly got cold, unsmiling stares from them. I've come to think that this is typical for this field.

We actually brushed upon this very issue during the early part of the interview. Bob said that he's met quite a few people who are in architecture only because it's what they went to school for, and they can't go back. I said that the problem, as I see it, is that architects don't know how to "move." They're not flexible. They think if they do this one thing really well, they'll rise to the top. But instead what happens is, they do this one thing really well, and they get stuck doing that one thing because they are the best at it.

But that's just one of many reasons why I think architects are miserable. I guess about 10 years ago, I read some article that said architecture was the "happiest" profession. The article went on to showcase how laid back and quirky the work atmosphere was. But I've seen otherwise. Yeah, there are quirks and there is informality. And probably any architect you ask is going to insist that their job is awesome and that they are happy. But behavior speaks volumes. There is so much insecurity in this industry. That's why people cling to designing sneeze guards for the Fixins Bar at Roy Rogers.

Anyway, back to the interview.

Bob hadn't actually read my resume. He was basically going off the old man's very comprehensive rating chart, on which I apparently scored "above average." I guess the old man liked me. We did have a few good laughs, he and I.

Bob did take a good look at my portfolio, especially the technical details. I think it's a good sign that he was interested in the detail drawings. It says that he's looking for more than just a graphic artist.

He said he was very impressed with my knowledge and enthusiasm. He said that he doesn't usually talk salary, but they can give me what I'm asking and I may have room to negotiate a little higher. He also said I don't necessarily have the job. He still has to interview another candidate. He said he'd have an answer to me by Monday afternoon, and that he was sorry to make me wait that long. He also wanted to know how soon I could leave my current job. He told me my side job would have to be phased out if they hired me.

So, it went really well. But who knows. He could read my resume and change his mind. Or tomorrow's candidate could knock it out of the park.

I am all discombobulated. This could be a good move for me in terms of both experience and money. But do I want to endure another miserable office dynamic? Also, what about my construction project? I really want to see it through to the end. I'm not too worried about the other projects. My bosses know exactly what to do. But the construction project needs me. And I love the team that I am working with on that project.

I'm also concerned about the office dynamic at this new place. The architecture department in my company was miserable until very recently. I hated working there and actually switched into a civil engineering department. However, a couple years after a change in management and some staff overhauls, things finally do seem to be looking up over there. Maybe that's the case in this new place. Bob told me some old people have left and they're bringing new ones in, and that the place is better than it's ever been before.

I am offered the position, the first thing I am going to do is negotiate for a higher salary in my current position. Higher than I've already asked for.

I have no idea what I want to do.

My boss is going to be on vacation next week. This kind of throws a wrench in my plans.

About a month ago, he went through a family tragedy. Last week was his first solid week back at work since the family incident began. I figured I'd wait at least two solid weeks before pestering him about my paltry raise. That would mean Tuesday the 24th, earliest.

After my interview on Tuesday, I realized that there might be no waiting past Tuesday the 24th. I'd have to force the issue of the raise because I'd have a job offer in hand.

That was ok with me. At least I had an excuse to be tactless and selfish.

But now he's not going to be here on the 24th! What do I do?

Well, of course it's a nonissue if they don't offer me the job.

But if they do, what do I do??

I'd have to go to the bigger boss, I guess. Ughh. He's cheaper than my boss.

I've been making a pros and cons list for both jobs. There are certain things that I must be willing to sacrifice if I take this new job, like flexible hours, ease of taking PTO... other stuff that I can't remember.

Yes. I have to call him this morning before I go to work. I wasn't expecting a discussion. I wonder what he's going to say.

I have a list of pros and cons ready. As I compiled and reviewed them over the last week or so, I've found myself gravitating towards changing jobs.

He made me a really good offer. More than I was asking. This will be a 19% increase over what I am making right now. I accepted the offer, but I’m still sort of in denial about that. BOTH my bosses are out of the office today!! So now I have to email them, and putting it in writing basically makes it official. I am procrastinating.....

My boss came back around 2. I waited about an hour for him to settle in and get through his email. After the hour passed, I started to get nervous. I thought about going in. But I was too scared. Then my phone rang. I said “Hi.” He laughed and said, “Hi.” Then, “Would you like to come by my office and we can talk?” I said yes and felt tears come to my eyes.

Wouldn’t you know, the most talkative girl in the world intercepted me on the short path there. She’d been gone for a year and today was her first day back. Of all moments to get stuck talking to some one!! But she reset my mood.

Of course I got all misty-eyed again when I sat down and started to talk to my boss. Without batting an eye, he said, “If I offered you the same amount, would you stay?” I didn’t expect that. I thought I’d have to haggle. And when I got to the office this morning I was beyond haggling. I’d accepted the job offer (I think!?).

I didn’t say no to my boss. I told him I’d think about it for a day.

He said, “Don’t do it for the money.” That’s why I like these guys. They’re really decent people.

He also said, “Never accept a job without thinking about it for a day first.” Well, oops on that one.... next time, I guess!