beachlover96

There is this guy that I met on an online dating website last week. He asked me for my number and we texted. He has been texting me a lot and he has been sending me good morning texts and been texting me every and we gotten to know each other. We have been texting for a week. He also asked me out for dinner after a few days of texting. He also friended me on Facebook and I accepted his friend request and then he has been liking a lot of my pictures on my Facebook and even commented on one of them saying I looked beautiful. After he did all of this, I had a gut feeling that something thing wasn't right about him because he has never met me in person and he has been texting me every single day and sending me good morning texts and we don't know each other that well and we were just starting to get to know each other. I blocked his number and on Facebook because I don't know him that well and I feel like he was moving too fast already when we were only texting for a week. I wasn't that interested in him. I am interested in other guys. It seemed like he wanted to settle down but I'm not ready to settle down yet and I'm playing the field and I told him that. He told me that he's playing the field also and told me that I can't rule him out just yet and can never know what can happen. I never met him in person. I'm not interested in him and when I don't know him at all. Was it wrong of me to block him after I felt like he was moving too fast or did I do the right thing?

Why are you texting someone back and forth for a week without ever having met them?

Yes, the guy was way too forward and seems to have been marking his territory. You exercised good sense in blocking him. But at the same time, if you're using texts to "get to know each other," especially without having met, this is going to be the type of person you invite, even if not quite as extreme as this man in particular.

Mellow out and simply text to arrange a date. Get to know each other across a table, not through a screen.

1. Follow your gut. This guy needs to learn not to stalk.

2. Lock your doors.

3. Tell someone in person about it, just incase.

4. Do NOT under any circumstances give him personal info or meet him.

5. Go out with some friends and try natural dating. People can still turn weird, but it's less likely.

Why are you texting someone back and forth for a week without ever having met them?

Yes, the guy was way too forward and seems to have been marking his territory. You exercised good sense in blocking him. But at the same time, if you're using texts to "get to know each other," especially without having met, this is going to be the type of person you invite, even if not quite as extreme as this man in particular.

Mellow out and simply text to arrange a date. Get to know each other across a table, not through a screen.

Sorry to hijack your post like this, OP, but holy heck j.man is a cutey! Er... I realize the sick irony in this reply...

I guess I disagree with the above posters. I don't see how any of that is a red flag that indicates he wants to "settle down." He was probably texting every day just trying to get to know you, or out of boredom, or because he's a player and trying to get on your good side. None of that indicates "settling down" to me. Same with liking your pictures. I could be wrong, but I that's what I think. I think it was a bit rude and unfair to just block him with no explanation. Ghosting hurts people. Sure, you don't owe him anything after just a week of texting, but wouldn't hurt to be courteous and just tell him you weren't interested. JMO.

I guess I disagree with the above posters. I don't see how any of that is a red flag that indicates he wants to "settle down." He was probably texting every day just trying to get to know you, or out of boredom, or because he's a player and trying to get on your good side. None of that indicates "settling down" to me. Same with liking your pictures. I could be wrong, but I that's what I think. I think it was a bit rude and unfair to just block him with no explanation. Ghosting hurts people. Sure, you don't owe him anything after just a week of texting, but wouldn't hurt to be courteous and just tell him you weren't interested. JMO.
Personally, insisting on communicating frequently over texts as a mode of getting to know each other is enough of a red flag on its own. Then again, both he and the OP would be guilty of that.

But texting her good morning every morning, adding her to social media and publicly liking and complimenting her along with it is a pretty tell-tale sign that the guy is looking to gun it. Not saying he would be waiting with a ring would they have met, but definitely doesn't seem healthy. While it would have been nice to at least toss out a "thanks, but no thanks" prior to blocking him, given that they hadn't so much as been on a single date, the guy should be able to get over it. And if not, it's even more of a testament to why she should have closed the door.

Also, just to add: If you weren't interested, why were you texting with him for a week and why did you add him on Facebook in the first place?

I wanted to see what type of guy he was and wanted to see what he posts on Facebook. I wanted to get to know him when I texted him to see if this was the type of guy I wanted to date which I didn't.

I wanted to see what type of guy he was and wanted to see what he posts on Facebook. I wanted to get to know him when I texted him to see if this was the type of guy I wanted to date which I didn't.

There's your answer. You don't have to feel bad about NOT wanting to date someone.

There are no hard rules of dating "you HAVE to do this OR that or Ms. Manners will strike you down. Dear Abby won't talk to you either at parties."

If something feels off, if you aren't interested, if you get up and don't like the color of the sky that day and you say, "Nah, let's not waste this person's time that is totally absolutely fine."

Agree though constant texting and rushing intimacy before you've even met is just ridiculous. The guy was gunning it at a level that should only be reserved for after you two have been dating and decided to take it to the next level.

I would go mad and snap like a twig if someone texted me that much even after I did get to know them, my hubs knows better and isn't the texting type either--which is yes one of the reasons I put a ring on it.

If you think J. Man is cute you should see his little cat--adorable!

To find out if someone is a person you would consider dating, meet the person in person in a public place. Of course, talk at least once on the phone to do a safety screen and to answer the question "is this a person I think I could have a pleasant conversation with in person?". If you're just into playing the field then IMO going through all the effort of meeting through a dating site doesn't make much sense.

I had to re-read the post 3 times to make sure I didn't miss anything, because call me crazy but I don't see any red flag there!?

It's only been ONE WEEK, it's not like he's been postponing a face to face meeting for months and stringing you along! A week is exactly the time frame I usually advise people to wait until the meet and greet, to try and find out if the person on the other end of the computer is not some nutcase. People need to take the time and chat for a bit before meeting in person, I think it's nuts to connect today and go on a date tomorrow, not knowing anything about the person you're meeting. Not that a week will help you know everything about them, but at least in some cases it clues you in whether meeting in person is a good idea or not. I have had many situations where I thanked my lucky stars that I waited a week or more to go on a face to face meetup!

Besides, during this week the guy did ask you out for dinner, so he was planning a date in person in the very near future.

To me, this is exactly the way a nice, interested guy should be behaving. He wanted to make a good impression, to get to know you as much as he could over the cyberspace, to make you feel special...I just don't get it, we all get upset when guys act like jerks on dating sites, demand and send dik pics or other crap like that and it's obvious they just want to get laid, yet when a guy does the right thing and is being a gentleman, we call him a weirdo and accuse him of exhibiting red flags???

OP, your problem is not the guy at all, or anything he did or didn't do. The issue is, as you yourself stated, that you are not interested in him, and that you like other guys more. That you want something casual, while this guy sounds like he wants something more meaningful. Don't be looking for red flags and reasons to reject him unjustly. There is nothing wrong with you wanting casual liaisons or whatever, so you don't need to justify rejecting this guy to us, or to yourself. He is not what you want, and that's that. You are entitled to search for what you want, and it is better that you blocked the poor guy, so he can move on and keep seeking a woman who wants a relationship. You were not it for him, just like he was not it for you.

There are so many women looking for guys like him. It's ok if you're not one of them. But don't try and place him in a bad light, when the poor guy was just being nice and trying to show interest the best he could!

Texting every day even after you've arranged a dinner date, and starting with the "beautifuls" and facebook friends too soon--before he's even met you in real life--is a sign that he's not a well-adjusted person. You'll probably find that he has a lot of social problems that will cause issues even if the two of you happen to like each other. I'd recommend bailing on this one. And if you do meet him, and subsequently decide you don't want to continue dating him, it will be very hard to get a maladjustedly persistent person like this one to back down.

OMG - Jman has a cat?! Where have I been?

In this thread here with a ton of other cute fur babies. Mine included.

Sorry OP, not to hijack your thread or anything, but looking at some pics of cute kittahs and pups might just brighten your day. No worries, the preliminary meeting stuff is to determine if you even do want to go out with them. And the dates then continue that.

Bottom line do what feels right for you. It's been a week, he's better off with you not staying in contact feeding him hope.

Archived