How long does this no eating phase last typically?

Birdchirp

Sudden breakup last week after 18 years leaves me without any appetite. I have lost 15 pounds in 9 days. I am drinking a lot of water but cannot even imagine eating, not even my beloved ice cream. Anyone experience this? How long did it last? I am taking one .25 Xanax before bed and can now sleep 5-6 hours. Maybe my appetite will wake up when I can sleep more?

I think it's totally different depending on the person. When I first split up before my divorce I lost my appetite for a few weeks, but I think mentally & emotionally I bounced back faster than most people would. Try to eat a little bit even if you aren't hungry & try to make it healthy foods so you don't develop nutritional deficiencies. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Is it that you feel nauseated when you try to eat? Like you're going to vomit? Or, do you just not have interest in food?

For me, it lasted about two weeks -- it was mainly that I felt nauseated and that every time I even thought of food, I felt sick. I lost about 7 pounds in that two weeks; I DID eat -- mainly protein bars, the kind of bland ones -- because that was all I felt like eating. The thought of meat, or cheese, or food from a restaurant -- let alone dessert -- made me ill. So, I ate protein bars and drank these juices from Trader Joe's that had a ton of fruit and fiber in them. The feeling -- which I later learned was due to a surge of adrenaline that happens to people after an upsetting and/or tragic event (a breakup, a death, etc.) -- is basically the body's "fight or flight" reflex kicking in, hence all the adrenaline.

I was (am) slightly overweight, so losing that 7 pounds was no big deal for me (though the lack of nutrients wasn't ideal), but if you're thin, it could be really problematic. I would say aim for eating things with a ton of protein, vitamins/minerals -- things like protein bars, yogurt, fruits, nuts, maybe an egg (unless you're a vegan!) Smoothies are a good way to get calories and nutrients too.

I hope you feel better soon!

I'm so sorry you are feeling such heart break! You are grieving and loss of appetite is typical with grief. It's important to eat even if you cannot think of it because lack of calories and nutrients will only exacerbate your low mood. You might not enjoy eating, but just do it. The more you take care of yourself and your needs the sooner you will start to feel empowered. Good luck!

Sudden breakup last week after 18 years leaves me without any appetite. I have lost 15 pounds in 9 days. I am drinking a lot of water but cannot even imagine eating, not even my beloved ice cream. Anyone experience this? How long did it last? I am taking one .25 Xanax before bed and can now sleep 5-6 hours. Maybe my appetite will wake up when I can sleep more?

I don't often fast, but when I do, something interesting happens. For about the first day, I'm starving...all I want to do is eat something....but somewhere around day two, my stomach settles out and it feels almost neutral. Like on an intellectual level I know I should eat something, but my stomach stops signaling that it wants food, and that lace of cessation actually ends up feeling a little like I'm not sure I feel well. Like if I eat something I'll just throw it back up.

Every single time when I go to eat it's completely fine. I think the grief is a huge component, but I don't think anything bad is going to happen if you actually put food in your stomach.

There comes a point where really the healthy and loving thing to do for yourself is just force yourself to east something....even if it tastes like cardboard. Punishing your body only punishes you, it's not harming anyone else and it's really not helping you.

Maybe you should pick a day or time in the near future and just say "I'm going to try to eat something"?

It's been a month for me. I barely ate anything the first week. I still have little to no appetite, though I am forcing myself to eat at least twice a day. I used to love to cook and eat, and neither of those things brings me any pleasure now. Even the most delicious food tastes like ash, and my stomach is just a big knot of anxiety. I was skinny to begin with and now I feel skeletal. It's not good. Shakes do help, for me.

Sorry you are hurting, but you need to keep your strength up, try drinking your nutrients for the time being if you can't keep solids down, do you have a Nutri Bullet you can make some healthy fruit and veggie drinks in that..make some milkshakes or get meal replacement shakes that will keep some weight on you.

The Ensure is a good idea. I can do chocolate milk so maybe I can mix the two. And I am still able to take my vitamins. Thursday I made plans to meet a friend for dinner, so I'll have to eat something or it'll look really weird! Thanks for the tips, and for making me feel that this too shall pass!

The sooner you can get food into your stomach, the easier it will be on your whole system going forward.

During times of high anxiety, all I can manage is a hard boiled egg, but it helps to nourish and reduce the bile at the same time. I also like the shake idea. Take a few sips and put it in the fridge. Then try more in a few minutes.

You can also try the old fashioned way--weak tea and crackers.

Head high, and write more if it helps.

The Ensure is a good idea. I can do chocolate milk so maybe I can mix the two. And I am still able to take my vitamins. Thursday I made plans to meet a friend for dinner, so I'll have to eat something or it'll look really weird! Thanks for the tips, and for making me feel that this too shall pass!

It will pass, I promise. I was in a very similar situation, married for 18 years and my husband left me completely out of the blue. I didn't eat or sleep for about a month, I lost nearly 30 pounds and I'm already pretty thin so it was a concern.

It will take some time and it's hard to see now, but things will get better, I promise!

I had some broth and bread today! First solid food in almost two weeks! I was out at a book club meeting and everyone else was eating and it smelled so good.

Good! Glad to hear.

If it lasts longer, try soups, yogurt, smoothies. I used a stick blender to make everything into soup or smoothies, which made it easier to swallow.

Archived