how big a chance to meet a serial killer if using online dating..

newyorkpsps

sounds a silly question. but it's a concern of me.

you can meet someone in public place for once, twice, three times... but someone is good to disguise themselves.

I know it's very rare that you meet a serial killer. but how about someone that has mental problems? scary...

I've lived with a VERY moody (a little bit mental problem) roomate before, that's a scary experience. you really can't tell when you first meet her.

Sadly, some people can't tell for many years that the very person they were/are dealing with is a serial killer.

The story of the Green River Killer is a good one. He was married for 14 to a woman who never could imagine that her husband was murdering young girls.

Sometimes you just never know.

You are a lot more likely to meet someone who will bore you to death then try and kill you. People meet up that way all the time, you might run into a killer flirting in a bar or at the office, or you might get killed in a car accident on your way to meet some guy, you kind of just have to get over that fear.

I`ll add to the fact that I don`t think the risk of serial killers is any higher than meeting someone in say a bar. There are weirdos though, so the best advise is to always listen to your gut - if something about this guy seems a bit "off", listen to your instinct!

i think people that prey on others have an easier chance online.

maybe and maybe not. the internet leaves a paper trail. really unless we have hard statistics to go off of i dont know if we can even make such an assumption... or we can hush and watch Strangeland.... HAHA!

John Robinson was the first recorded serial killer to use the internet to find his victims.

It's highly unlikely you would run into a serial killer but it is always best to take precautions when using the internet to meet people.

oh yeah, Dahmer, Gacy... all of them 'normal' button down, etc people.. all with high head counts. There are probably tons more..

Sufjan Stevens wrote a fantastic, haunting song about John Wayne Gacy... one of my faves. It's actually one of the most "christian" songs he's ever made. Beautiful sentiments.

I don't know that answer to your question though. I'm doubting it's possible to conduct the appropriate double-blind studies minus some significant funding from Amgen/Trojan.

image removed

maybe and maybe not. the internet leaves a paper trail. really unless we have hard statistics to go off of i dont know if we can even make such an assumption... or we can hush and watch Strangeland.... HAHA!

look at all the idiots that get caught too though from using the internet.

John Robinson was the first recorded serial killer to use the internet to find his victims.

It's highly unlikely you would run into a serial killer but it is always best to take precautions when using the internet to meet people.

yeah.. he was an odd one wasnt he?

offered the girls jobs and ran a prostitution ring. so.. beware of people who offer you jobs.. lol

look at all the idiots that get caught too though from using the internet.

ghost, there are alot of things that dont get mentioned on the 6 o clock news. just because we hear 'internet guy/girl kills so & so' doesnt mean there arent 5 more out there who didnt use the internet.

i think there is alot that to us at least goes under the radar for the sake of ratings.

ghost, there are alot of things that dont get mentioned on the 6 o clock news that we are not even aware of. just because we hear 'internet guy/girl kills so & so' doesnt mean there arent 5 who didnt use the internet running around out there who DONT make it on the news.

i think there is alot that to us at least goes under the radar for the sake of ratings.

I'm so glad you mention that. It reminds me of a song by Black Flag, "TV Party".

"TV shows us what it's like out there... It's a scare! You can go out if you want. We wouldn't dare!"

We live in a culture of fear because fear sells.

ghost, there are alot of things that dont get mentioned on the 6 o clock news. just because we hear 'internet guy/girl kills so & so' doesnt mean there arent 5 more out there who didnt use the internet.

i think random stabbings and gunshots are reported more than internet criminals.

Actually, there aren't all that many serial killers running around... i read somewhere it was estimated as only in the 100 range in the U.S. So odds of meeting up with one of them is pretty small, though not impossible.

BUT your odds of meeting someone who is not on the up and up or possibly very strange is pretty high. I've read estimates that about one third of all men advertising on online dating sites are married or living with someone and lying about it and trying to meet someone anonymously on the web who doesn't know them or their friends, hook up for some sex then disappear again. The online situation makes them harder to trace or be found out. They want to meet the person out somewhere, go back to her place for sex, then never take her home to his place.

So you have to do a lot of investigating before you agree to meet someone alone and do know that they are who they say they are. Most predator types who are after sex only will press for it quickly, and won't hang around for a month or two of dating. So you can limit those people just after sex by not having sex til you know them pretty well (and for a long time) and have had time to verify they are who they say they are.

link removed

.. and really we cant accurately tally how many serial killers are out there because of how many unsolved cases and missing persons reports that are out. but i do think that serial killers are specialty people and are rare anyway. Compared to the common street crime.

Then of course you have serial rapists, and creeps.

Archived