how big a chance to meet a serial killer if using online dating..

newyorkpsps

I haven't really met any crazy stalker types online. I did, however, meet a guy at my university (turns out he wasn't even a student) and gave him my number. He seemed normal and intelligent when we met. But, he got really upset when he learned that I wasn't interested in more than friendship. Long story short, after talking on the phone once he ended up making really violent/sexual phone calls to me late at night from time to time for about six months or so. Based on the things he said and the way he acted I'm pretty sure he would've tried to rape and/or kill me if I had been willing to actually be alone with him. He just seemed so...violent.

In addition to that there was a guy who lived accross the street from my university's parking lot. One day the man came outside and approached me when I was at my car, and he told me that he had been watching me every day from his window. This guy turned out to be harmless, but I was still a little freaked out that someone had been watching me so closely and basically knew my schedule based on when I would arrive and leave school.

That just goes to show that the freakos you could potentially meet on the internet are potentially the same ones who are walking around in the real world, too. I wouldn't be overly concerned about online dating. Just be careful with strangers in general whether they be online or in the offline world.

thanks,this's what I'm worrying about. it takes months to know someone. but how it's possible that you are dating a man for two months and never get to spend alone time with him? (suppose he's a killer, then he can do things even if I get into his car, etc....) I know the odds are low, but scary.

quote: "So you have to do a lot of investigating before you agree to meet someone alone and do know that they are who they say they are. Most predator types who are after sex only will press for it quickly, and won't hang around for a month or two of dating. So you can limit those people just after sex by not having sex til you know them pretty well (and for a long time) and have had time to verify they are who they say they are.

Archived