Are there any regular swimmers here?

Hi folks...I did swim pretty regularly this summer and fall, but now that it's gotten so cold here, I haven't gone in almost two months. Of course, I was going to a heated indoor pool, but it's so cold outside, I seem to have lost my desire and motivation to get suited up and head on down there.

I guess the point of this post is for some assurance and encouragement that one gets used to it and it's not too bad once you've swam a couple of laps! I really like swimming, it's the best stress alleviator ever, and I know with over time it really tones up your whole body.

I love swimming! I used to do it all time as well. Havent gone in a while though, because like you said, its cold outside. But if you have an indoor swimming pool, go for it! Totally worth it!

I prefer it to going to the gym, and it does tone you up. But now that its winter, I have to go to the gym, which I hate! I personally prefer running to gyms, and I prefer swimming to running. But oh well, what can you do!?

I was on a swim team for years. All through elementary school, middle school and part of high school... I'm just about 20 now so it's been a few years since I've swam regularly... To get back into it is killer...before I got this awful sickness, I had just started to swim again...

Start out slow. I don't know how many laps you want to work yourself up to, but for me, I started out at 20 (a little over a quarter mile by my local pool's standard). To keep things "interesting", try alternating strokes. Freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke is a great one for your inner theighs. And then you can also put on some flippers and use a kickboard to work out your legs. After that, you can get one of those foam things to wrap your ankles around and only use your arms...

If you alternate between several different things, the time flies by.

Sorry, I started rambling. I hope this helps a little.

I know what you mean about the cold. The worst part is that, when it's cold outside, the pool in my building is extra cold. I always dread that first step in. But it just makes me swim faster to warm up.

I love being under water - it's like a different world. I can do some of my best thinking in the pool.

I love being under water - it's like a different world. I can do some of my best thinking in the pool.

ooh, me too... i love diving in and swimming breaststroke completely underwater. It's so relaxing...Weightless...and once you get used to the water (if you're in an indoor pool anyways), you get all nice and toasty

Scout,

You will get used to it, and it's great exercise. I have a female friend who swims about a mile a day, almost everyday, and I know a number of women who are jealous of her figure. And her figure is good, although she is not otherwise my type. So get suited up and get in there. I think you may need to budget you time because you do not want to be walking out with a wet head, unless it is covered by a warm hat. Also, you might consider taking some time after your laps to jump in a sauna or steam room. Be careful with hottubs.

Thanks for that thing other day.

Thanks, guys...and jenn, great advice! I did mix up my strokes a lot over the summer, and that helped. Swimming is the only exercise where I seem to find my energy increases throughout the duration of my session.

Hazey, you're right...I just need to suck it up and literally dive back in. They do keep the pools somewhat heated so it's like a lukewarm bath, but when you're coming in from outside and freezing cold, that's not a very comfortable sounding prospect at first.

Thanks, Beec. I probably should make sure I wear a snug hat when I'm walking back outside to my car. Good idea.

And you're right, swimming is a great exercise. You may not get "buff" as fast as you would from weight training, but it's a really good "stretcher" which over time, can make one very lithe.

(You're welcome for the "thing," lol.)

yeah, that's true too... being in there too long is definitely not a good thing. But same goes for saunas and steam rooms from what I've read...

Being in any of them too long is bad, but the temperatures in hot tubs make them prime breeding grounds for nasty things that can get you very sick. If there are properly chlorinated and filtered, then it should not be an issue, but many are not.

In the mid-1990s, a cruise ship thought it had the right filter. It had a filter certified as being up to the proper standard to prevent disease. The certificate was fraudulent, put on as such by the manufacturer, and the filter became a breeding ground for legionella (Legionaires' Disease). Legionella occurs in almost all water, but when allowed to concentrate the problems of disease become likely. The temperatures in saunas and steam baths are higher, so the likelihod of these diseases being a problem are alower.

I used to swim in competition. You won't believe how COLD the cheaply rented pool was in winters...

Ok, so keep this in mind, lol... if you will keep on swimming, you won't have to worry about fitting your bikini in May when you start thinking about the beach holidays next year...

Please do take care of a good warm up in colder water. Muscle cramps are more likely to occur then. And cool down equally well, especially in winter if you have to cycle home afterwards in the freezing cold. Dry your hair and take care of a good conditioner (a leave-in one is best to prevent the frost from biting in your already 'chlorified' hair )

Pfff I am happy I do other sports now... but I miss swimming, it's much more relaxing then capoeira where you constantly have to take care of your balance and think. I will take up swimming as well, and keep you going if you want!

Ilse

Well, I don't know if you follow a particular 'scheme' or are you simply swimming back and forth? My warm up was stretching all possible muscles before training (preceded by a 30 mins ride on the bike because I don't drive). Then I started with 200 m breaststroke, building from a 50% speed (an estimated half of my full power speed), to around 80%. Then I would proceed to 80% speed at 100 m free style, 25 butterfly, 25 backstroke (sorry don't know if that is the word), 100 breaststroke. Then rest for 2 minutes, and because of the competition, I usually would do technical training for 20 minutes (turningpoints, training legs and arms separately for each technique). Then in the middle I'd have a 'duration' training of 15 mins, just swimming either freestyle or breaststroke continuously without resting.

If I was still up for it (or at the actual trainings), I'd have some speed training, at 100% or pyramids (from 50 to 100% and building down to 50%).

This is around 1.5 hours or 2 hours of training, and since it's varied, it's really never gets boring and you can see process if you repeat the same schedules over time. It need not be this complicated but it helps to have a bit of a schedule or even apply for lessons to really learn to swim more effectively.

Cool down by doing a slow-speed 100 meters, we called it 'granny swimming, with the head not going under water while doing slow breaststrokes); but get out of the water and stretch if you feel yourself actually getting cold. Take a long shower if possible

Ilse

Thanks, Ilse! When I used to do weight training, I warmed up on the eliptic machine, stair climbers, etc. I have to admit, cardio exercises like that are not enjoyable for me, I feel like I'm driving back and forth over a speedbump, it's so repetitive. But, maybe if I know my reward at the end is a good swim, that will help. And it will definitely warm me up.

I have become a regular swimmer. I have a membership to my indoor city pool and I go 3 mornings per week. It's well heated and well kept.

The way I have found that it works best for me:

*set the alarm really early and swim first thing in the morning. (otherwise I will make excuses and put it off) I basically wake up, brush my teeth and leave in my pajamas. I don't even bother putting my contacts in- I throw glasses on for the drive there and I get right out of the door. Very few people are at the pool at 5:30am, so I reallyl could care less who sees me in that state of being.

*I swim for about an hour or an hour and a half. Then I dry off, get back in my pajamas and go back home to take my shower and get ready for work. I just leave the pool with wet hair, even in the cold (a no no), but my run to the car is so fast that I never get sick from it or anything.

I don't like using the lockeroom showers of lugging my belongings around, which is why I go back home to get ready.

If I do this any other time than first thing in the morning, it will never happen. I'm not much of a morning person, so I find it's a nice way to wake up. I leave the house in a zombie-in-pajamas state and come back refreshed after a swim.

BellaDonna

Being in any of them too long is bad, but the temperatures in hot tubs make them prime breeding grounds for nasty things that can get you very sick. If there are properly chlorinated and filtered, then it should not be an issue, but many are not.

In the mid-1990s, a cruise ship thought it had the right filter. It had a filter certified as being up to the proper standard to prevent disease. The certificate was fraudulent, put on as such by the manufacturer, and the filter became a breeding ground for legionella (Legionaires' Disease). Legionella occurs in almost all water, but when allowed to concentrate the problems of disease become likely. The temperatures in saunas and steam baths are higher, so the likelihod of these diseases being a problem are alower.

eeew...that sounds absolutely delightful

Hey Scout!

I used to swim almost everyday for years, up until I got into cycling and running more.

And I know that difficulty in getting through the cold to go dunk yourself in the cold water....and remember it can be -30 C here....so getting on the bus at 5:30 am to trek to the pool was sometimes difficult to face. But I did it, just because I WOULD feel good and I knew it!

This is what I do for anytime I don't feel motivated to do something...I promise myself to just get there and start. And just go for 10 minutes. If after 10 minutes I don't want to do it anymore, I can stop. Anytime I have ever had to do it, I have NEVER wanted to stop after 10 minutes!

Rachel.

You may not get "buff" as fast as you would from weight training, but it's a really good "stretcher" which over time, can make one very lithe.

It is important to mixup your strokes. It is also best not to get into the habit of simply "lapping" up and down the pool. Whilst that will keep you fit it will take a long time to tone your body.

Go for a program that includes lots of sprints.

My program is roughly this,

Day 1 - 1000 metres free, 200 breast, 200 back, 100 fly.

Day 2 - Free sprints, 100 under 60secs (2 minute break) 200 under 160 secs, (2 minute break) 300 under 280 secs (2 minute break) 400 under 400 secs (3-4 min break) then maybe 3 or 4 sets of 100 under 70 secs (all freestyle) and warm down with breast stroke. (you will of course have your own times but teh idea is that you increase lap times roghly in increments of 5 seconds for each set.)

Day 3 - Nothing

Day 4 - 4000 metres free and negatively splitting. This is a lot but I need one distance swim a week as I do a lot of ocean swims. Your distance will be whatever you can do but negatively splitting is important. It basicall means you do the last 2000 faster than the first. I usually aim at losing around 1-2 seconds a lap.

Day 5 - Nothing

Day 6 - More sprints. Similar to Day 2 or a mix of strokes. The important thing with sprints is to get your heart rate right up so wahtever pace you can do to achieve that.

Day 7 - I do pretty relaxed sets of 4 strokes.

That is a pretty long routine but it can be shortened obviously. The important thing I find is to

1. Mix strokes

2. Do sprints, it improves your efficiency and burns energy fast

3. Time yourself. It helps you keep track of how hard you are working and keep you motivated to perform.

4. Enter a competition. It is much easier to train if you are training for something.

PS - I don't do warm ups, never have. I have heard some say they are important and others say they make no difference. I do do cool downs but that is more just to cool off in the pool.

eeew...that sounds absolutely delightful

It was only delightful for the lawyers involved in the litigation hat is still on-going. I think there were 34 illnesses, not sure if all were confirmed as Legionnaires, but some 16 or so were, as well as one death.

I am sure other bacteria can grow well in the water temperature of hot tubs. A bad hot tub is really a big eeeewww.