I don't really care about going on diet!!!!!

Is it normal not to be concern the least bit about losing weight/going to diet?? I keep getting nag my mom to get on a diet, keeps saying I gain weight, which is true, but it's no big deal, it's not like I'm gonna be a ballon. I'm close to 150 ibs (yea use to be 128 before, way back in my freshman year of high school), but I figure that's normal at 5"7".

Then by b/f also mentions about ti once in while, he says he's gonna be on a diet and sometimes I keep telling me I'm going to the gym, working out, etc. (I'm only joking about that, not interest and too lazy for it). Now if I was going 160 and above then I would consider it.

You are a real cute girl and 150 lbs is normal, healthy and sexy for 5"7. If you are happy, then there is no reason for you to diet.

As a teenager I used to weigh 155-165 lbs (and 5"6). I started losing weight and have now been about 115lbs for a few years. I can truly say that I am no happier at 115 than 165. It doesn't bring anything special to your life.

As long as you have a balanced diet and stay active (even just a 1/5 hour walk each day) then you shouldn't worry about it.

If anyone comments on your weight, just say "I look fabulous and I love the way I look."

Well, I think the typical American use of the word "diet" means to crash in eating lifestyle.

You don't want to do that as it leads to a yo-yo lifestyle and wreaks havok on your body.

Eat healthy foods to promote good cardiovascular health.

Your BMI is 23.5, which is very healthy, a normal BMI is 18.5-24.9.

I would see absolutely no reason for you to worry, you're in a great position .

Hugs, Rose

Ailec1987, I don't think there are many men out there that really care about the number of pounds you weigh. I do think some men will look at you differently when you have a different, larger, thinner, whatever, figure. If you are not interested in the number, so be it, I don't think one can change that. It would be a good idea for you to find exercise you like, be it in the gym or elsewhere.

As far as your attitude, I don't think that's something you can say is normal or not.

I think it's important at your age to establish healthy eating and exercise habits. Oprah Magazine - the current issue - has a really good guide by age range for what women should be doing in terms of exercise. If I were you I would be doing at least 30 minutes of cardio 4-5 times a week - where you get your heart rate up to the proper range - and watching it on the heavy fat and sugar intake - limiting fast food etc. I also would make sure by getting a physical that your cholestorol and blood sugar levels are normal. It's not about dieting but having a healthy lifestyle - it is much easier later on in life when it is far easier to gain weight if you already have established a routine of a healthy lifestyle.

Laziness is fine the other two days a week - exercise is a great mood elevator and clears the head I find so go for it!

Dieting is abnormal...although since most women and a lot of men are doing it now, it seems normal.

Although that doesn't make it right, healthy or sane.

Weight loss diets fail 90-98% of the time. Oh, sure, people do lose weight, but the link removed rate is high (the 90-98% mentioned). People tend to gain back what they lost, plus a little extra. That "little extra" is your body's way of preparing for and protecting you from the next "famine." Other protective measures your body takes when you restrict your intake is to reduce your metabolism and become more efficient at storing fat.

There are plenty of people who have dieted themselves up to a higher weight than they would be if they had never dieted at all.

But weight loss is big business, and that's why you can't escape the pressure to diet/lose weight. There's money to be made selling snake oil. Big money.

Eat when you're hungry. Stop when you're satisfied or full. (Satisfied very often occurs before full, so learn the difference by listening to your body) Make sure you get a good amount of fruits and veggies. Eat real food and avoid processed junk & junk foods. Move around on a regular basis. Don't judge your health on your weight alone...go by the numbers that mean something: blood pressure, cholesterol, & blood sugar.

You have a healthy attitude toward eating. Don't lose it just because it happens to run counter to what the rest of this crazy culture wants to tell you.

Hey Ailec!

I think as long as you are comfortable with how you look and feel that it is unfair for others to place their body image woes upon you.

Now as a Mommy I do nuderstand that we want our kids to be healthy but I think comments made about weight are much more damaging then the actual weight.

One of my four children is just a little chubby but I never say anything to him. It would only make him feel bad about himself and I know that we all have different bodies and want more then anything for him to feel comfie in his own skin. As long as he continues to exercise- riding his bike, hiking, PE at school and eats healthy he will be fine.

As far as your health goes I know you mention feeling lazy. You do not have to become a gym nut but a nice walk with your boy friend a few times a week or even bike riding to keep your heart healthy is wise. It's not about fitting in those tiny jeans its all about keeping that heart healthy!

As far as your BMI goes you are on target.

Height: 5 feet, 7 inches

Weight: 150 pounds

Your BMI is 23.5, indicating your weight is within the normal range for adults of your height. Maintaining a healthy weight may reduce the risk of chronic diseases associated with overweight and obesity

BMI Weight Status

Below 18.5 Underweight

18.5–24.9 Normal

25.0–29.9 Overweight

30.0 and Above Obese

Oh, one other thing about diets that I picked up from a book by Laura Fraser called link removed...it was a quote from a doc who specializes in helping people recover from eating disorders...

He said not everyone who diets will develop an eating disorder, but nearly everyone he's treated for an eating disorder started with a diet.

A word about BMI....

BMI is just a measurement of your height in relation to your weight. It doesn't necessarily say anything about your health.

The important numbers are your bp, cholesterol and blood sugar. There are people (like me) who are larger than average (due to a combination of dieting through my 20's and genetics), but who eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly. I have been working with a dietician for most of this year getting my head screwed on straight about this stuff.

My bp, cholesterol & blood sugar are all healthy, but my BMI is "high." I will never be thin by any stretch of the imagination, but I am healthy...and I am healthier than a thin person who may have a "normal" BMI but who does not exercise on a regular basis and eats a lot of junk food. Yet I run into people all the time (including a former primary care doc of mine) who assume that I do nothing but sit on the couch watching TV and eating cheezy poofs because of my size.

Using BMI to determine someone's health status would be like trying to figure out what one specific individual was like based on just their nationality or gender or religion.

Thanks for pointing this out. I've often wondered how a BMI can really be an accurate measure of our health, in terms of weight.

I've had to learn too much about this stuff over the past year as part of my therapy.

I suppose there's been progress. It's not making me hopping mad like it did when I first started learning about the pack of lies being sold as truth in regard to food, eating, weight, health, etc. I'm just funny that way...I get pissed off when I'm being lied to all so some company can profit at my expense. I can actually post about these topics now without getting on the soapbox......too much. That wasn't possible earlier this year.

If there's one thing I've taken away from the all the sessions with the dietician and all the books I've read it's this: Always, always, always do your own research. Doctors are human, they are falliable, and they do not always know what they are talking about.

My former primary care doc took my bp with a cuff that was too small which caused a false high reading. She looked at my weight and gave me a lecture about high blood pressure, and how it was imperative that I lose weight. I left her office thinking I was going to keel over dead from a heart attack any minute....then I started engaging in disordered eating behaviors for the first time in about 20 years, and fell off the recovery wagon.

I'm in a much better place than I was this time last year.

I think it's wise to take care of your health physically and mentally at any age, and any weight. It's not just about what your weight is - it is about how you feel, how your body is on the inside in terms of heart health, reducing risks of obesity related disease, impact on joints and so forth.

But that does not mean "dieting", it just means eating healthy, and exercising regularly, and having a healthy lifestyle...it really has so many short and long term benefits to it, that go beyond fitting into smaller jeans...and what size you are is not necessarily indicative of your health in the least bit, whether you are larger or smaller - you can look like a model and still be falling apart on the inside.

It really has too many health benefits and impacts to ignore I think....as an example, my mum whom is just finishing treatment for breast cancer, was told numerous times that exercising during chemotherapy (moderately of course) increases survival rate by 50%...that is rather huge when you think about it. It has at the very least aided in improving her mental state as she went through treatment which has great effects. Of course, the benefits of exercise and healthy eating can be felt by anyone!

What is important is that you:

Eat healthy foods

Get some type of exercise

You could be a healthy weight and be an unhealthy person, or be overweight and be healthy. Make sure you're getting nutitions and exercising or at some point it will be a problem.