Can men and women be just friends?

This subject has been covered here a lot. Do a search on the subject.

In short, many who lack the ability to be friends label it impossible for anyone else to achieve, since they can't or don't want to.

Others manage to remain friends with the opposite sex and find it very rewarding.

Others don't seem to know, or don't care.

It really depends on the person.

I find that I do have several male friends who I value dearly and keep the friendship on a very platonic level.

I am very sure though to not flirt or give any cues of interest to them.

So, I think it's definitely possible, but only if appropriate boundaries are set.

Hugs, Rose

To me, sexuality is very apparant and the differences of that. It can cause attraction or tension.

We could be friends with anyone we wanted on any level if we didn't label things as "friends" or "lovers." I hate that. It takes a long time to let go that need of defining yourself and yourself with others, but it gives freedom to be who you really are. That's what we're after, isn't it?

I think it all depends on what you define as friends. For some people they would say that a friend means a platonic relationship. Others would say that a friendship does not have be completely platonic in order to be friends. My idea of a friendship is one that is platontic where you have no interest in the person and they have no interest in you but you two enjoy eachothers company and have fun when you go out with them. I dont believe that there are many male-female friendships that are like that but I am sure there are some.

Yes, I agree with chai it does depend on your definition of friendship.

To me friendship means:

1) No kissing, handholding, intimacy

2) No flirting

3) No discussing your relationship with someone else with them

4) Spending very little alone time with them, preferably with a group of friends

5) Making sure they know they are friends such as saying "you're such a great friend, I am so lucky to have you

Hugs, Rose

It's possible. I had one when I was single.

We even talked about our LACK of attraction for each other...but we still enjoyed hanging out together and doing stuff together.

I don't recall having any physical contact with him, ever. Yet we used to go out to dinner quite frequently, talk on the phone a couple nights a week, go to amusement parks, take one-day road trips, go to shows, company Christmas parties...we even attended a wedding or two with each other when we didn't have dates.

Uh, no, he wasn't gay. He was definitely hetero and dated other women while we were buddies...and I dated other guys while we were buddies.

We'd still be buddies now except that we live about 200 miles apart....

NO HUGGING.... ohhh man thats a tough one!!!

I think it depends on the person. We're all wired differently. I happen to be BUTT UGLY.. so I can be a guys best friend.. lol. (kidding).

I have many guy friends and I'd call our relationship platonic. Again.. who's definition are we going by.. because I do hug them and I do get kisses (on the cheek) and they will "C BLOCK" when someone is paying me unwanted attention.. lol. Guy friends are AWESOME in these situations... lol... and of course I do the same for them. I'm like the NINJA AMAZON GF... body guard.. lol.

Yes i do thing males and females can be friends. I get on with alot of guys sometimes even better than i do with a female friend, and being friends with a male is way less b****ness. And sometimes i would just hug a guy friend but no kisses

YES for me especially if u grew up together i reckon..i know a few girls im close with but yeah with some i just meet and become friends with u have to make a concisious decision not to fall to that trap of being attracted.......happened to me this year.....but yeah i reckon u can