You want your ex back? Things to avoid certain doom!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear...just out of curiosity, but how old are you? And how old is this guy?

Even though she hasn't said anything, my ex-gf is turned off by my emotional, almost whining side - I know it. Truth is, people can detect weakness - it can be pretty apparent. Strength on the other hand - confidence - that can be quite rare. But the latter is more appealing. When was the last time you heard a guy say, "Hey, see that girl who is begging to be with me? I want to be with her"? I know that I am attracted to confidence, and I bet you are too.

This guy has not treated you well - in fact, no girl should be treated the way he treated you. I would never call a girl a hooker. Having said that, however, it also wasn't right of you to go into his email and call up that girl. No good can come from something like that and well, no good came from it. But I understand what it's like to have my emotions get the best of me.

I want you to do me a favor - I want you to remember what your life was like beforehand, what you used to do for fun without him. I bet if you try to remember, you will. I only learned this recently - but people come and go - only you can make yourself feel better. And if that means doing something as silly as watching Family Guy (like I'm doing right now), then you should do that as much as you can. After all, the more time you spend not thinking about someone, the less you end up thinking about that person - sounds silly, but makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

I hope this helps.

Hey,

I think you're really strong to be able to move nearer to him and still maintain NC, but if you manage it you will be so much stronger for it. How are you today?

I am having a really bad day today. Everything was seeming much better and last night I felt ok with things, but I know he has this week off work and have found out today from a friend that he is up in Glasgow (we live near London) "visiting a friend" but they didn't know who. I then went and looked on facebook to see who his friends are in Scotland (I couldn't help it), and the only people in Glasgow are both girls. I know he has been on tour with his friends band to scotland a few times so may know others there, but I also know last time they went on tour he got with a girl there, now I feel absolutely awful as I'm so convinced he's gone up there to stay with a girl he knows. Why is that even though I know we have broken up so he can do as he pleases, and what's more this girl is in scotland so he is unlikely to start up a relationship with her, despite all of that it still hurts so much to think of it.

I wish my friend had never told me as I wouldn't be wondering so much!

Hey, Well the thing is we will be living in the same town. Last night after work I had a really hard time. I ended up deciding to get everything organized so that by the time the move comes around I won't have too much to worry about. Needless to say I have been thinking about him 24/7. I have been wondering if he is missing me as much as I miss him. When we got together he was the one determined to get me to be with him. I can't help but feel abandoned. The worst part about it is one of our mutual friends called and said it might be better for me to move on because right now he is so confused he does not know what he wants. It crushed me when he said that because the first thing that went through my mind was "he has someone else".

Scotland- Don't jump to conclusions just because hise facebook or myspace does not show male friends that live there does not mean he does not have them there. But also keep in mind we are doing the NC for ourselves. I know it hurts to not know what he is doing or thinking, or whether he is thinking about you or not. He does it will be a matter of time before you find this out, but by then you may not care. Be strong look ahead but don't delude yourself be honest with yourself first.

Hi im 18 he is about 21 lol i know its silly and i have my whole life ahead of me but some things the way i see it is that i never wanna b with anyone like the way i was wit him im not the type of girl that can do that .... it really hurts and i know i was young i couldve handeled the situation better but what can i do iw as aching iw anted too know so i went into his email alot has happened but we have soo much history i just want too know will he ever return ????? what can i doo too have him back even though he cheated on me and he is with that girl right now

Hey Mijo! How are you today? Things are starting to get a little better. I still have my moments when I just want to say the heck with it I'm going to call him. Last night I found out that he went out with his buddies and their significant others. The thought came to mind again that he had found someone else. I still miss him, but the move has me very excited to the point that the pain of him not being in my life is lessened.

Hope all is well with you. Remember Chin up!

javagirl, don't fret just remember that you need to become the person you once were that is the point of the NC. Once you are there you may not realize it but people will look at you in a different light. That is part of the reason NC works everbody likes to be around confident people. Smile, get dressed up, put on your make up and go out and face the world! But do it for you, you'll be surprised at the results. I blushed yesterday. I was at a stop light and the car next to me started to blare its horn I turned and realized it was a car full of handsome men. They rolled down their windows and told me to smile, one of them shouted that I was beautiful. I smiled and blushed because it felt good to be noticed and complimented but at the same time it was bewildering. It's hard to try and not think about the other person when you have feelings for them, you want to call, text, run into them "by accident", don't. Just try and surround yourself with friends & family go do things that are fun but require a little bit of concentration. Time will pass a little faster and before you know it he will more than likely call you to see how you are doing, chances are he won't be doing as well as you.

Hey Mijo! How are you today? Things are starting to get a little better. I still have my moments when I just want to say the heck with it I'm going to call him. Last night I found out that he went out with his buddies and their significant others. The thought came to mind again that he had found someone else. I still miss him, but the move has me very excited to the point that the pain of him not being in my life is lessened.

Hope all is well with you. Remember Chin up!

Hey,

How are you?

That's really good that the move is taking your mind off things. have you heard from anyone he went out with whether he had a partner with him, or would you rather not know?

I am ok thanks, feeling a little down. We hadn't spoken for a week and then yesterday I got a text from him just saying "Hey how are you doing?x", I replied briefly and then later on got a random text saying "Before the end of 2008 me and you should ______? Fill in the blank and forward it on, it might put a smile on your face"

I had thought he had sent it to everyone, but nobody else who is friends with him received it. Anyway it turned into a light hearted brief text exchange, but then last night and today I have heard nothing back from him. I know he is at a gig tonight and then back at work after his trip tomorrow, so we'll see. It's 4 weeks this weekend since we last saw each other, I am just convinced he is bound to have met somebody else in that time.

I am going to try not to text him and see if I hear from him again. It's just frustrating when all you want to do is hold them. Anyway, I am going out for a meal with friends tonight so hopefully keep my mind off things.

I would rather not know I know it will hurt me either way. I received the same text only it was from a friend not my ex. Stay strong at least you know he has thought about you, and hasn't forgotten you. Just remember with my previous NC ex it gave me "desireable results" at first but I kept going back finally I saw it for what it was "he was using me". Be careful don't get your heart broken so many times that you can't put it back together. Honestly I think that you are doing better than you give yourself credit for, if you decide to do LC as opposed to NC think it over hard... remember NC got him to contact you in 4 weeks, Imagine what double the time strict NC will do.

I have come to the decision that I will wait out the NC for a total of three months, if he does not contact me in that time he will have lost his chance. I will not spend my life hurting nor will I sit here and shrivel up. I will continue to do as I have done and go out with my friends and be with my family. If he does I will go LC until after the move & make my ultimate decision at that time. The ultimate decision will be if I want him in my life as a friend, can I accept that? or Will I have to end the relationship all together?. Today is day 19 only 74 more days to go ( basing it on 31 days per month) only time will tell.

I have had the same dillemma I want to text him to see how he is doing I wont Lie I kind of cheated and looked at his myspace his status was Bored beyond belief. I almost felt elated at that. After which I just wanted to call him and exchange jokes over the phone. I fought the urge and watched a movie instead "placed my phone in another room on silent"

Good that you went with your family to eat keep up with things like that and if they ask questions just express how you feel about the situation.

I have read through all these posts and it has taken me a week! I’m so glad I found it. It has really helped me on my path to heal. It has also reminded me, in times of weakness, I must stay in control of myself.

Here is my story and what I have learned through it, and through SD’s wise words:

My ex and I were together for 3 years. It was a great relationship throughout. We are terribly compatible and have fun together and for most of the relationship, really worked hard at compromise and respect. I was 36 when we met and he was 33. Neither of us had been married or had children. We have very similar family backgrounds and values. We complimented each other well and to everyone, including ourselves for most of it, were such a great match. We had our fights occasionally, but always took care to talk about it later with calmer heads and always, sincerely, apologized to the other.

As the summer began, we decided that I would move in with him when my lease ran out at the end of January. I began slowly moving my things into his house all these past months. He has never so much as lived with a roommate before and I knew “sharing his space” was causing him some anxiety. He is selfish by nature, but always tried so hard to not be with me. He wasn’t always successful, but he always tried and talked about it when he knew he was being selfish.

I am a teacher and so over the summer I had to take a waitressing job to make it through June and July. I worked 5-6 nights a week and we didn’t see each other very often. When we did, we didn’t do anything fun. I was tired. He was tired. I laid on the couch in sweats and we often watched tv in other rooms from each other. We got boring and lazy and quit trying. I justified it in my mind by saying I was giving him “space” before the move in. There was no passion left. We rarely had sex. We still “loved” each other and went through the motions, but I just ignored the void that was developing between us. He isn’t the type to bring it up.

A couple months ago he seemed to be getting really anxious about the move in, but wouldn’t talk about it. Then I realized he wasn’t emailing as much… or at all. He wasn’t texting me either. He’d call every night to say good night and I love you and we’d spend the weekend at his house… but… something was missing. It hit me one night that if he isn’t emailing me and texting me, then who IS he doing those things with? I pushed those thoughts aside. Then one night I got an email from a stranger telling me that if was ****’s girlfriend, he had something interesting to tell me. I didn’t even have to respond. I knew.

It was a Friday night and he had called me around 7:30 when he got off work to say he was going home, order food and go to bed. It was now 11:00 and I called and he didn’t answer. I knew. I left him a message telling him I knew what was going on and it would be in his best interest to call me back right then. Knowing he never listens to his voice mail, I sent him a text to listen to his voice mail, then call me back- but do not call me without listening to the email. Then I thought, “F this.” I got in my car and drove to his house. Sure enough, he wasn’t there. I had a key and a garage door opener, so I let myself in. He sent me a text right then saying he was coming to my house. I called and told him not to bother because I was standing in his driveway.

We spent that night yelling, and screaming and throwing things and ultimately crying. What I didn’t realize until I got home and responded to the stranger’s email was that I knew who the guy was- it was a work friend of my ex that I knew of but had never met and the other girl? This guy’s girlfriend of 6 years who was still living with.

In the end it turned out to be a text/email/phone-thing. Their one and only date was the night I figured it out and he ended up leaving her in a bar to come to me. He ended it- truly- the next day after we broke up. He never saw her spoke to her again. (I know all this because her ex kept in constant contact with me at first- THEY are already back together and apparently she does this every so often to “spice” up THEIR relationship. The ex and I were the perfect pickins’ for her to come along and do her thing and my ex fell right into it.

The next morning I showed up with boxes and began moving my things out of his house. There was a series of crying phone calls between us while he was at work and I was packing (we were both crying). Finally he said leave the stuff and the packing and let’s take a few days and not talk to each other and then see what we want to do. That lasted 2 days and the emails started. We planned to meet the next night. He wanted me to come to the house, but I refused. We met at a Waffle House! We stayed there for 3 hours and must have gone through 2 pots of coffee. Emotions went all over the place. There were tears, ugly words, laughs, random fun conversations…. Everything. But in the end, he seemed resigned to the break up and I left him standing in the parking lot.

The next day was Thanksgiving and while he was eating with him family (which is where, up until 6 days before I was also supposed to be) I went and cleaned a lot of my stuff out of the house. It was f’ing horrible, but I knew I wouldn’t have to see him at least.

While he was working the next day, I went back to get more stuff. I had the doors open to my car for 3 hours and forgot to turn off my satellite radio in those 3 hours. Then my cell phone battery died. I am not kidding… I didn’t plan this! When I went to leave, my car battery was dead. No house phone, no cell phone… I was stuck. I couldn’t leave. He didn’t surprised or bothered that I was still there when he got home from work. He got jumper cables and got my car started then told me to come in and let it run for awhile to charge. We ended up ordering pizza and watching a movie together. It was like old times. No fighting, no crying… just nice and easy. When the movie was over though, I went home. We ended up on the phone that night until 5am. We talked about a lot of crap and I admit there were a few tears in there, but no anger or aggression.

The next day he texted me all day- literally. He told me everything he was doing… he sent me emails from work… all day, just like before. Then he asked me to dinner. We went and had a great time. We didn’t talk about us or what happened or anything. We went back to his house, watched a little tv and I went home. I think we talked on the phone again that night… the next day he came to my house to do some computer stuff for me and I drove a dresser over to his house. When I got there, he had gone out and bought all this furniture we had been planning to buy for when I moved in, new bed spreads and curtains… all of it. I didn’t know what to think about it. I didn’t stick around for TV that night.

The next day I woke up feeling good and he texted and emailed me all day again. We had LC all week and again, I felt good. Then I started reading up on break ups and what was best and all that… and then the weekend came. We spent 2 hours on the phone Friday night and 3 on Saturday night. I thought we were making progress, but I told him I needed “boundaries” and we needed some time to process all that had happened. It was the first time either of us spoke of working it out. I felt good about it and thought that was the plan- work it out… eventually. He had spent the whole week complimenting me on how well I was doing and he couldn’t believe how “wonderful” I was. I was so calm and rational and nice and moving on so easily. He kept complimenting me on it. He started to remember who I was and why he liked me so much. It bugged me because I couldn't understand why he'd think I'd be any other way, ya know? That is who I am. But he really had forgotten. Here’s where I screw up royally….. . I saw a glimmer of him wanting me back and I went overboard with it- expected too much, too soon. This past Monday night I broke down on the phone and got all whimpy with him on the phone about some stupid sh**- mistake. Then the very next night I called him and yelled at him and cried and got hysterical. THAT is what he expected and THAT is what can make him feel more confident about the break up. I even talked about whether he thought we'd ever work it out. THAT is what he expected and again, what can help him feel secure in our being really over. Nice f*** up on my part, huh?

I don't know if he will come around and want to work it out. Right now, I get the sense he is glad to be free of the drama that the break up brought and by association, I did as well (no that isn't fair to me, but that is the way a man's mind works!).

I haven’t responded to an email yesterday and a text message last night and one tonight. He texted me right when he got off work to decompress like he has every Friday night for the last 3 years. Tonight, I wasn't there.

I admit I have hope... I also admit I am going to suffer like a fool trying not answer if he ever calls and not to respond to the text messages that I have a feeling will keep coming. I guess the worst thing in the world will be if they don't. But it will be my quickest answer to whether it will work out or not. Either way, he won't forget me, and by my not making a fool of myself anymore, he will always respect me.

Any contact we have from this point forward needs to be slow and only from him, but for me, it needs to be clearly steps to reconciliation. If it is just to "check in" or because he is lonely and needs a friend, then no way. Don't get me wrong, I think reestablishing the friendship first is the way to go, but it has to be with the idea that there is more underneath. Does he have to know that right off the bat? Part of me says yes, part of me says no. Until I know that answer, no contact at all is the best bet, I think. Until I know that, then any contact we have would give me false hope and only serve to open the wound up wider.

We've never gone more than a few days without contact. At first I thought he'd need a few days to sort it out and he'd come running back to me, knowing he didn't want to lose what we had. In reality, he might think that in a few days, but if I welcomed him back with open arms after only a few days, then in a few weeks or months, we'd be right back where we started. "We only value what we think we have lost." He needs to f’ing value me again and that isn't going to happen in matter of days or weeks.

I know his heart. I know he loves me. I know he thinks of me as one of the best people he has ever met. I KNOW this. But he told me the night this all went down that he just didn't see a future with me. huh. You love someone, you think they are the greatest thing in the world and are good for you, but you don't see a future with them? Doesn't make sense. He isn't lying, I know this is what led to the affair. But if any human sat long enough and thought about those sentiments together, they would know how ridiculous they are. Those are the very things that people spend lifetimes looking for in another person. But when all that is there for them, day in and day out, without any effort on their part, it isn't all that desirable anymore. And I am 50% responsible for this dynamic. Not the affair, but the circumstances that led up to it.

The only way I can see now to "fix it" is to just disappear and give him that room to think. Sometimes it feels like I will be playing games with him, but hey, we lacked any excitement the last few months, so if you wanna call it games, then so be it. I have told him how I feel. He knows I love him and am willing to talk about how to make it work again, but that I can't be just his friend. So I don't think I am being mean if I just cut all ties for awhile. In the words of SD: If do nothing- I can't screw anything up. Him hearing me cry or yell at him or how I feel for the 100th time isn't going to speed things up or make him miss me or want me anymore. You can't talk your way outta being dumped.

Three weeks to the hour since we broke up. NC in full effect. One unanswered email and two unanswered texts… I’ll update when I have one.

Hi im 18 he is about 21 lol i know its silly and i have my whole life ahead of me but some things the way i see it is that i never wanna b with anyone like the way i was wit him im not the type of girl that can do that .... it really hurts and i know i was young i couldve handeled the situation better but what can i do iw as aching iw anted too know so i went into his email alot has happened but we have soo much history i just want too know will he ever return ????? what can i doo too have him back even though he cheated on me and he is with that girl right now

hey kiddo, feel free to email me at email removed and we can talk more about this

Hey guys...I wish I would have read Superdave's post or known about it before my break-up.

Me and My GF broke up, after two years. She came over one day and said she wanted to 'just be friends'. Said problems had been accumulating for a while...I suppose...but it's not like it was all bad!

Next day she already has a new boyfriend ( * * * )...and she wonders why sometimes I'm not as 'happy' when around her.

She wants to be friends she says, but, we never hang out. And everytime I ask how things are going with her friends, or any 'deep / serious' questions, she says its none of my business anymore since I'm not her BF. >_>. She said maybe she'll come back after shes seen someone different, ^, ( What the hell?).

She wants to be friends but I swear, she messes with my head. I also HAVE to ride with her to school, it's easier than the alternative...she says she wants to drive me and all. Still she can't understand why I'm sad sometimes?

Shes even said she has "future" plans with this new guy( we've said the same things...), now, they've only been together for a week...but she may have known him since the beginning of the school year. idk. She says shes not lying. She may have been saying that to make me sad or jealous...I don't know.

As 'friends' we hang out before first class and thats it, even though we have the same lunch, ( hangs out with her 'rebound bf' and other friends ), and I see her in the hallways and it's not like I get a "hi" or go out to get one either.

I miss her a lot and I'm going insane. With college soon, I have to choose where I'm going. I have good enough grades to go anywhere but Ivy League, and I really don't care where I go as long as I'm not lonely or unhappy...makes no difference. I just want to know if I should hang near her...

~ 6 months left of school! Would that be enough NC time you think to get her back?!?! I really want her back >_<. i even told her it really be a stab to friend when she knows want back and yet has boyfriend. feel like plan b.>

: /

I really don't have friends lol. During lunch I pretty much sit by myself and listen to music, it sucks, but it seems most lunch tables are full anyways. Gonna die from boredom or loneliness...

Any help or advice is appreciated...i'd do anything.

Martyrdom,

Wow you seem to have a lot on your plate. To be honest with you she seems to be playing games with you, and if I remember high school correctly it seems that she was hiding the relationship with this other person from you till she felt strong enough to break it off with you. Here's what a lot of us on this forum have been doing... go out have fun, make friends, when she calls you'll be busy get involved in looking for a good college that will benefit you and have the types of programs that you would like to excel in. When you find the ideal school call them up and find out if they have early orientations where you can find out about clubs or groups that get together and share common interest. Get involved early make friends early and you will find that NC will go a lot faster. It may also give her time to mature. When she does contact you you'll find that you made the decisions that were best for you when it came to school and your future. Don't let her know how you feel over and over it will just push her away. If you have to continue to ride with her to school put on a smile keep your answers to her questions short, don't give into her whims. When you go your separate ways smile and wish her a good day. But if you can try to avoid riding with her to school. NC will work but remember its about you not her. Try reading through this entire forum and you'll find out what its all about. Keep your head up and your poker face on, soon they will all wonder about it. I've been NC for 3 weeks now and I've found out he asked about me. But as I've told Mijo, I am determined to ride out the NC till he contacts me. At that point I hope that I am doing well enough to make the decision that is best for me.

Javagirl, Good thinking! Hope all is well.

Mijo, How have you been? Things are definitely moving better right now. Had dinner with an old friend and genuinely laughed for the first time without thinking "what is he doing right now? does he miss me?" When the thought finally passed through my head I thought "Who cares? I had fun today!" Then I scolded myself for the earlier lapse in strength, looking at his myspace a couple of days ago. Hope you are doing well.

Hey,

Glad you are doing better now, and you are doing well with the NC.

I am not doing too bad. We text on Satuirday night and I ended up saying I found the situation weird that we weren't together but we were still texting, then it got brought up that we were having a party and he asked why he hadn't been invited as it was for my housemate's bday who was his friend originally. I had had a bit to drink and I shouldnt have text him. I text him in the morning to apologise and he said it was fine and I had nothing to apologise for. I then decided I need to do NC properly as the way things are is ridiculous, I don't know where I stand as he texts all the time but he seems to be making it clear that he doesn't want more than friendship...I think.

I woke up on Monday and for the first time felt really well. I didn't wake up upset and when he text me in the morning I didn't feel like I needed to reply. He then text for 4 times during the day - 2 of them were jokes to which I'd normally reply, then he sent a text about the weekend and asking how I was, and then he sent a bizarre text along the lines of "fill in the missing words and send back to me". That was the one that threw me - why send that to someone unless you're expecting a flirty message back, but I never replied to any of them.

I woke up this morning though and felt really down, the same as I had done last week. I immediately wanted to text him, even though I knew I really really shouldn't. I haven't been able to stop myself looking at his facebook etc either. I suppose that is what makes NC quite hard - we have so many mutual friends it is impossible for him to not see what I'm up to, although I guess maybe that's a good thing. Shows I still have a life after him. I just wish I didn't feel so down today - I think it's possibly because he hasn't text me today, so I feel like after me ignoring him yesterday he will give up that easily.

Oh well, we'll see....

A little update on my situation-

I got more texts on Saturday night and I actually replied to a few. They were just about things like our pets. I ended it first though by just saying "goodnight".

No calls, no emails... for 6 days now.

His mother DID email me yesterday though. She asked me to lunch over our break (we are both teachers). I had to think about it, but in the end, I really love her and miss her, so I said yes. I will keep talk about her son to a minimal. This is possible because there is a lot more for us to talk about. My father is in the hospital with pancreatic cancer and my family is having a rough time of it. We also have a lot of work-related things to talk about. I absolutely will not get upset when the subject of "him" comes up though, because I know she will of course tell him.

It is so hard to watch the phone remain silent... but I actually felt good today. I know tomorrow I could be right back in the dumps... but today wasn't too awful!

One more thing-

Something I have found helpful... I keep a Word document open on my lap top entitled "Type It Here". When I feel like picking up the phone or sending an email, I just type out all those thoughts flying around in my head into that document instead.

Some of it is really embarrassing to go back and read later, so it's great that I "typed it there" instead of letting him read it!

All is well today. My 9th day of NC. I've come to the conclusion that I don't care if he is thinking of me or if he is going to call me. And I mean it. I really don't care. I don't think of him as part of my future anymore.

well I'm jealous. I want mine back for some reason, but at the same time, I can easily turn to hate for an hour or two >_>. It's crazy...

It is the 2nd day of NC.. I woke up feeling better than yesterday but emotional during the midday.. me and my ex work next to each other and often see each other for lunch.. All my colleagues know about him and thinking of how my colleague which i am going to have lunch with later is going to ask about him and i am not prepared to let them know we have broken up yet.. I don't imagine I'll have a pleasant lunch time..

I am on my 3rd proper day of NC now after speaking with him at the weekend. I suppose I kind of broke it yesterday as I tagged a picture of him on facebook. I wish I hadn't now. Oh well.

He text me 4 times on Monday and I managed to avoid replying which I'm really pleased about, but since then I have heard nothing. Can't help but think as I ignored him and said on saturday that our situation was weird how we broke up but keep texting, that now he will have just thought forget it and moved on to the next girl. I know if he has done that then he isn't worth it, but it's still a horrible thought.

I guess I'm just confused still - I want him to text me so I know I am in his thoughts, but I also don't want to be reminded of him. Vicious circle