Are we being unfair with our children regarding the pandemic?

Message added by kamurj,

The topic has run its course, closed.

11 minutes ago, waffle said:

I have literally never heard this.  Do you have any links?

If I wear a mask and I'm COVID-negative (which I am), then who is being protected and what are they being protected from??? 

Not you personally, but others who may be Covid positive.  The mask is supposed to reduce the ability of the larger droplets to travel to another person.  There have been demonstrations that show the difference between how far droplets travel when unmasked and when masked.

I'm not going to post a link that would have to be approved by a moderator, but you can Google it.

13 minutes ago, waffle said:

I have literally never heard this.  Do you have any links?

They literally tell you that since the beggining of pandemic lol. In order to have very little chance of catching Covid both wearers need masks and social distancing. That way, even if one of you have asympthomatic Covid or even Covid with symptoms, other would be protected. It protects you, but its mostly because of protecting other people if you can transmit the desease to them. Same with other people. By wearing masks they protect you.

It has been known that individuals who lack symptoms (asymptomatic) and those who eventually develop symptoms (presymptomatic) can transmit the virus to others in close proximity causing an exponential increase in cases. This is why the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has highly recommended the use of masks, which can potentially reduce the transmission when used as a complement to 6 feet of social distancing. 

While medical grade, N-95 masks provide the best protection, homemade and disposable masks can prevent the spread of the virus to others as Dr. Raed Dweik, Chairman of Cleveland Clinic’s Respiratory Institute confirms. There is evidence that shows that masks reduce the exhaled aerosols from infections and asymptomatic individuals. (Konda et al., 2020) Masks like these are mostly used to protect others and act as a physical barrier. During a cough or a sneeze, a cloud of droplets containing the virus can propel from an individual and spread up to 25 feet. So a face mask can keep these particles from spreading and prevent the number of COVID-19 cases from surging. This is why it is crucial that we all continue to maintain special distancing guidelines while wearing a mask when we are out getting groceries and even when we return back to work. 

And for the record, I do still wear a mask when grocery shopping.  It's because the store has no windows and there's usually a good-sized crowd at the store especially when waiting in line to check out.  I know intellectually that my mask may not protect me, but I want at least some barrier between my respiratory system and unmasked people, some of whom are highly likely to be Covid positive.  But outdoors?  Nope.  And not when I'm in a small shop and it's only me and the cashier present.

Look, I still practice some safety protocols.  But the difference is I dine at restaurants and attend sporting events and meet up with friends and family.  And I also am middle aged and have health conditions AND I had Covid back in late 2020.  But I'm vaccinated and double boosted so the likelihood of serious illness is greatly reduced.

Just out of curiosity, OPs, how long do you intend to live in this lockdown-type situation?  

I see.  I was hoping for a link that would explain how the general population, the vast majority of which is negative at any given time, is protecting others by wearing a mask.  Because the OP was told his/her specific mask is protecting others, not him/her, and I wonder how that can be if the OP doesn't have it.

1 minute ago, waffle said:

I see.  I was hoping for a link that would explain how the general population, the vast majority of which is negative at any given time, is protecting others by wearing a mask.  Because the OP was told his/her specific mask is protecting others, not him/her, and I wonder how that can be if the OP doesn't have it.

I meant the general you.  Also, many people are Covid positive and don't know it.  For example, I was exposed by my son and his spouse and they had no idea they even had it.

Look, OP, regardless of "guidelines" that are developed at random and changed frequently to fit the current political narrative, the reality is you are responsible for your own health.  Period.  Stop screaming at your daughter every time she drops her mask for two seconds.  Instead, thank her profusely for putting up with your nonsense and do what you can to help her start her life that she has put on-hold to entertain your fears.

• Like 2

I live in Western Europe but even I have heard of the CDC and Dr Fauci.

For everyone, google “cdc guidance types of masks respirators” and the first search result should get you to the CDC page with all the info on masks and respirators. The last updates are as of January 28, 2022.

These are the key messages as per the website:

Masking is a critical public health tool for preventing spread of COVID-19, and it is important to remember that any mask is better than no mask.

To protect yourself and others from COVID-19, CDC continues to recommend that you wear the most protective mask you can that fits well and that you will wear consistently.

Masks and respirators are effective at reducing transmission of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, when worn consistently and correctly.

Some masks and respirators offer higher levels of protection than others, and some may be harder to tolerate or wear consistently than others. It is most important to wear a well-fitting mask or respirator correctly that is comfortable for you and that provides good protection.

While all masks and respirators provide some level of protection, properly fitting respirators provide the highest level of protection. Wearing a highly protective mask or respirator may be most important for certain higher risk situations, or by some people at increased risk for severe disease.

CDC’s mask recommendations provide information that people can use to improve how well their masks protect them.

And then you can continue reading all the details on the various types of masks 😷 and their level of protection and how they should be worn correctly.

• Like 1

Stop screaming at your daughter every time she drops her mask for two seconds.

Screaming? I'm alerting them to just raise their mask for a few moments.

Instead, thank her profusely for putting up with your nonsense

Does this line mean nothing to you?: "We tell her how much we appreciate her sacrifice to keep us safe." But it doesn't just benefit us -- it's keeping her safe too.

25 minutes ago, waffle said:

help her start her life that she has put on-hold

Life on-hold is a serious exaggeration. Yes, she doesn't have friends or a boyfriend right now. But that's not all life is. (And she's never even had a boyfriend before so suddenly it's such a big problem now?) She is working. She makes music, walks in parks, shops in stores, reads, journals, etc. Come on.

26 minutes ago, MissCanuck said:

I assume you like it this way. It lets you exert even more control over her. 

Agree. Isolation and financial dependence are the tools controlling people use to entrap people, much like abusive relationships and cults.. Also forcing life to revolve around the controllers paranoia with rituals etc.

1 hour ago, DesignerPrize said:

Screaming? I'm alerting them to just raise their mask for a few moments.

Does this line mean nothing to you?: "We tell her how much we appreciate her sacrifice to keep us safe." But it doesn't just benefit us -- it's keeping her safe too.

Life on-hold is a serious exaggeration. Yes, she doesn't have friends or a boyfriend right now. But that's not all life is. (And she's never even had a boyfriend before so suddenly it's such a big problem now?) She is working. She makes music, walks in parks, shops in stores, reads, journals, etc. Come on.

Social life is an essential for most 20 somethings unless she herself truly and affirmatively didn’t want one and unstable stuff was ruled out. Meaning totally fine for a person to be content on his or her own but it’s rare and it’s not what your daughter is telling you. This is prime time for her to make friends and professional networking connections and potentially find a partner. 

I lived at home at age 24 for a number of sensible reasons. I had several friends, a boyfriend and an active social life, a good job and was applying to grad school. My parents bent over backwards so I could come and go as I pleased and I’m grateful for that. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Blue_Skirt said:

I live in Western Europe but even I have heard of the CDC and Dr Fauci.

For everyone, google “cdc guidance types of masks respirators” etc. etc. etc.

I assume you're referring to this CDC?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/cdc-failed-covid-crisis-walensky-b2147245.html

Or is there another CDC somewhere,  a competent and credible one, that I'm unaware of?

2 hours ago, DesignerPrize said:

. . . she's never even had a boyfriend before so suddenly it's such a big problem now?

COVID-hysteria and what constitutes "having a life" aside, I'm trying to understand the thought process behind the above statement.  The fact that she, at age 24 if I'm reading this right, has never had a boyfriend means it's ridiculous for her to contemplate having one now, or possibly ever?  What?

• Like 3

It's ridiculous to contemplate a boyfriend right now when it's in direct opposition to her family's health. Going on dates, she can't control if her date will wear a mask or not. And no one's kissing with a mask on.

Regarding friends, I know it can be hard, I don't deny that. I once asked her if she wished she had more friends and she said yes. But I don't hear any complaints about my son who also doesn't have friends as of right now. (And it has to be harder for him because he is coming from not having friends in high school either.) He understands safety comes paramount right now.

Control and abusive are also asinine words to throw out. As if I want to control my kids just to control them like some type of cartoon monster, come on. This is all about safety.

9 minutes ago, DesignerPrize said:

I'm absolutely not sacrificing my relationship with her. We will talk and meet up with her safely of course. But it seems we all disagree here.

Have you announced to her that she has to move out?

You choose conspiracy theories and outdated, debunked health recommendations over sharing your home with your daughter. That is indeed sacrificing your relationship with her.

What if she shows up to meet up with you outdoors but doesn't bring a mask? What if she wants a hug?