Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Family and Life Updates

boltnrun

Thanks to the policies of the "anti-woke" movement politicians, out of control gun violence and bigoted rhetoric aimed toward the LGBTQ community and POC, some groups of Canadians are now being cautioned against traveling to the US. 

I am fortunate to live in a community that embraces people from all walks of life, but that doesn't mean the hate hasn't reached us. It just means we rally against it and condemn those who engage in it. 

These people have always existed, but they feel comfortable loudly and openly expressing their hate and fear and bigotry because it's being encouraged by certain public figures. Very sad. But we'll oppose them and do what we can to get them to stop hurting others. 

51 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

People hiding their threads like crazy when they don't like the advice they were given. Makes me wonder why I should waste my time constructing a thoughtful reply when they'll just end up deleting the whole thing. 

Ahhh is that why it says I can't view a thread I replied to? 

Just now, itsallgrand said:

Ahhh is that why it says I can't view a thread I replied to? 

Yes, they rolled out a new function where people can not only hide their own posts but hide entire threads they started. So the whole thing goes "poof!" and disappears. 

2 hours ago, boltnrun said:

People hiding their threads like crazy when they don't like the advice they were given. Makes me wonder why I should waste my time constructing a thoughtful reply when they'll just end up deleting the whole thing. 

If I know someone is going to do this I won’t bother . No point in wasting time . 

47 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

If I know someone is going to do this I won’t bother . No point in wasting time . 

Unfortunately they don't warn us ahead of time!

But there is one person in particular who has done this with at least four of their threads. So now I know not to waste my time trying to help them. 

1 minute ago, boltnrun said:

Unfortunately they don't warn us ahead of time!

But there is one person in particular who has done this with at least four of their threads. So now I know not to waste my time trying to help them. 

Yup. That is the thing when they have shown the inclination to do it I wouldn’t bother . 

Ugh! My son just called. A coworker who he had lunch with earlier in the week tested positive for Covid. And he took me grocery shopping yesterday so we were in his car for a total of about 35 minutes which is why he called to tell me. He tested negative so far but will retest over the weekend. 

Ugh ugh ugh. I hope he's not sick.

On 9/1/2023 at 2:01 PM, Seraphim said:

I hope your son is ok and you are too! 

He tested negative twice, so we are apparently all clear.

So my brother's "friend", who he has flown across the country on his own dime TWICE to help, has basically insulted him in a very hurtful way. He just finished some home improvements on the interior of his home and he's understandably excited and proud. He sent this "friend" photos and she said some very insensitive things about the improvements he had done. Said that no woman would ever want to go into his home because what he had done was "undignified". Ouch. He's obviously hurt. This woman is someone who, despite his insistence they're "friends", he would like to develop into more. And she claims to be his friend but then she tells him this? I mean, I would have made different design, color and materials choices but when he sent me pics I just said "it looks nice! I can't wait to see it in person." I already didn't like this woman because of something she said about my son and now I like her even less. My brother is supposed to fly out to see her again this month. I hope he cancels. Why pay to be insulted?

• Sad 1

I am glad you and you son and his spouse are ok. 

That “ friend” is rude . It isn’t HER house. She doesn’t have to like it. She can say wow, you are handy I hope you enjoy your new renovations if she didn’t like it . It is a compliment to his skill and being neutral to the results and not hurting his feelings. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

I am glad you and you son and his spouse are ok. 

That “ friend” is rude . It isn’t HER house. She doesn’t have to like it. She can say wow, you are handy I hope you enjoy your new renovations if she didn’t like it . It is a compliment to his skill and being neutral to the results and not hurting his feelings. 

Thanks!

He didn't do the reno himself. He paid painters, carpet installers and window treatment installers to install what he picked out, and he bought a piece of art for his bedroom. She was especially derisive of his bedroom decor. I would have said "well, don't worry about it because you'll never be invited in there." 

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Thanks!

He didn't do the reno himself. He paid painters, carpet installers and window treatment installers to install what he picked out, and he bought a piece of art for his bedroom. She was especially derisive of his bedroom decor. I would have said "well, don't worry about it because you'll never be invited in there." 

Exactly! What right does she have to criticize someone’s home !

42 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Exactly! What right does she have to criticize someone’s home !

She's one of those who prides herself on being "outspoken" and "blunt" and calls it "being honest". She said something about my son that I found offensive and ever since then I haven't liked her. Of course up until this happened (with her saying hurtful things about his home reno) he adored her and thought she farted rainbows and perfume. Now it seems he's rethinking this "friendship". 

17 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

She's one of those who prides herself on being "outspoken" and "blunt" and calls it "being honest". She said something about my son that I found offensive and ever since then I haven't liked her. Of course up until this happened (with her saying hurtful things about his home reno) he adored her and thought she farted rainbows and perfume. Now it seems he's rethinking this "friendship". 

Thank goodness he is rethinking . What ? She said something about your son? That is beyond rude. There is honesty and then there is being rude on purpose and calling it “ honesty “ . Sometimes the best course of action is silence when one’s opinion isn’t warranted . 

There's been a story in the news lately about a teacher at the high school my brother's kids went to. She preyed on the teenage boys who went to the school and is has had multiple judgments against her for her inappropriate and predatory behavior. My brother told me he knew this had been going on while his sons went to that school but he didn't talk to them about it.

????????????

Say what???

Something similar happened at the high school my son was going to be attending and you bet your behind I talked to him about it! I told him to tell me immediately if any adult made any inappropriate advances or said anything inappropriate to him. I don't get why you wouldn't warn your children...

38 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Wha?? I would warn my son for sure. Because of what happened to me I never let my son even go to cub camp alone. His dad went with him. 

My brother strongly believes that children should not be made aware of any "adult" issues. He even chose not to tell them one of our cousins had gotten a divorce and as a result his kids cheerily asked our cousin "Where is <Wife>??" Awkward! He felt divorce wasn't something you talked to kids about. Our mother held the same belief. It made.for some very uncomfortable moments, such as when our 15 year old cousin showed up at a wedding holding a baby. I loudly asked whose baby it was, then I got punished for asking! Because Mom felt we were "too young" to discuss teen pregnancy and marriage. 

It always boggles my mind that we were raised in the same household by the same parent and hold such divergent beliefs. 

16 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

I think there are age appropriate ways to discuss things . Teens can very well understand and appreciate complicated issues. It is so hard when people assume kids are like turnips. I know it is meant to protect , but it doesn’t . 

Honestly I think it's because he feels uncomfortable and therefore uses "they're too young" to avoid talking about things that might embarrass him. I offered to give his daughter "the talk" if he believed his ex wife wouldn't. He said no, she's a pretty feisty young lady so there's no need to talk to her about dealing with pushy boys who might try to coerce her into sexual activity. I couldn't get him to understand that even the most confident young women can be convinced that some gangly teen boy "loves" them and will die of blue balls if she doesn't allow him to have sex with her. But he said no. He's their parent so I respected his wishes even though I disagreed.

Man in the checkout line at the grocery store this morning sneezing, coughing, hacking, wiping his nose and eyes and wheezing nonstop.  He looked like he felt absolutely awful.  I felt so bad for the lady standing in front of him.  He sneezed on her at least twice.  She looked pretty upset and I don't blame her.  I was about 8 feet away so I probably got the pleasure of breathing in his germs too.

And people wonder why there's been a 50% uptick in hospitalizations and deaths from Covid.

If someone is THAT sick, either stay the hell home or at the VERY least wear a mask!  

• Sad 1

My cousin who is also my goddaughter is in the ICU and it's potentially serious (of course, they don't put routine patients in the ICU). I'm frightened. 

God and I don't have the most genial of relationships but I am begging for her to be healed. She's in her late 40s and mother to a school age child and we need her. 

• Sad 1