Boyfriend wants to start splitting dinner checks

JessicaGC

OP never came back.

I suspect she was expecting us to rally to her side and tell her she's right, because in the "Deep South" the man ALWAYS pays.

I'm sure she can find a "traditional" man who will pay her way. But it doesn't seem like her current boyfriend is that guy.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didnt mind paying for my ex..she was in school and i made wayyyy more money so i could eat out and pay for both of us no problem. i could of supported her if i needed to.

buttttttt, she never expected me to pay every time. she always tried to help. oh 40 dollar meal, no problem i got the tip. oh i just paid for dinner, lets watch a movie and get some snack. she would pay for that.these are examples, it wasnt always this way.

she would always help in ways she could.

i dont think anyone should expect their SO to always pay. but thats why communication is key IMO

It's 2017 and I'm astounded this comes up at all on ENA or anywhere. I graduated from high school in 1975, and never ever considered that men and women are not equal, equally able to make decisions, choices, pay for things, treat each other for things, follow the golden rule. That it DOES come up repeatedly on ENA I again question if we live in the same world. Maybe we live in parallel universes and a glitch has caused them to overlap. ;-)

It's because of these millennial morons parading in the streets with pink P**y hats. You guys didn't have those bat-s**t crazy women marches. Instead your generation had the best rock musicians and most chill crap while I had to suffer with talentless artists like Justin Bieber and Who Let the Dogs Out. And you all wonder why my generation sucks.

I'm so jealous.

OP never came back.

I suspect she was expecting us to rally to her side and tell her she's right, because in the "Deep South" the man ALWAYS pays.

No, just another self-entitled millennial who thinks boyfriend should be paying for expensive dinners like sushi.

Next!!

It's because of these millennial morons parading in the streets with pink P**y hats. You guys didn't have those bat-s**t crazy women marches. Instead your generation had the best rock musicians and most chill crap while I had to suffer with talentless artists like Justin Bieber and Who Let the Dogs Out. And you all wonder why my generation sucks.

I'm so jealous.

This made me laugh. And then I got sad, because Snny, you made me remember what it's like today. Oh! I feel so bad for my own kids sometimes.

But yeah, no. Girls gotta pay too. Fair is fair.

This made me laugh. And then I got sad, because Snny, you made me remember what it's like today. Oh! I feel so bad for my own kids sometimes.

But yeah, no. Girls gotta pay too. Fair is fair.

Well...I had decent music, too., if you think the 80s and early 90s still put out good music. My cousin's girls - i feel sorry for their future boyfriends. They get trophies for participating and are get every single material item they want.

I don't totally blame the OP. I think they shouldn't be getting sushi and steak period if one party is saving money. What's wrong with pizza or stir fry and alternating who pays? Anyway, she probably was scared off..

My cousin's girls - i feel sorry for their future boyfriends. They get trophies for participating and are get every single material item they want.

I feel sorry for them having a choice between Beta men wearing skinny jeans, wannabe gangstas with their goddamn pants to their knees, or a man who can't tell which bathroom to use.

Their generation is screwed.

I don't even agree with the "it's a cultural thing from the deep south". I can understand that it is deeply ingrained, but there's a time when we become independent in our thinking and actions in which we can get common sense and realize that some traditions simply don't make sense if we then want equality and modernity in other areas. Simply doesn't compute.

There are also beliefs in my family and culture that I grew up to disagree. I think here it is really a case of entitlement, and not so much a non voluntary and out of her control behaviour.

However, if that's really her beliefs I hope that she pays him back in other ways, like keeping the house pristine every time he comes back home and making sure he has it very good when he comes back from work. I mean... that's tradition, that's how to be a "deep south" housewife. You just can't claim being independent and then demand support on your meals. You can't have your cake and eat it too... so pick one and be coherent. And also pick a man that is compatible with your "deep south traditions"... because this one certainly isn't.

I'm so jealous.

No, just another self-entitled millennial who thinks boyfriend should be paying for expensive dinners like sushi.

Next!!

It's not just millennial that think like this. Also older people have this belief that the man always pays for everything in a date.

Archived