American women dating Indian men

wlh22

This question is primarily for American women (living in USA) or women of any other nationality.... Would you be open / interested in dating and eventually marrying an Indian guy (born in India)? I currently have a friend who is dating a white woman but I do want to hear directly from the horses mouth

If it helps, I am 32 well educated etc. Curious to hear points of views here. And if yes, where can I actually meet a quality white woman? Nightclubs are out of question as those are generally filled with teenagers with red solo cups

Thanks

Oh yes. Many Indian men are very handsome. The main thing I would need to be sure of early on is that he is not under pressure from his family for an arranged marriage. If he is Buddhist, that is easy - amongst western Buddhists, most are women. That would also make it more likely he would meet someone of his faith - though a lot of people who practice it in the west are very relaxed with some aspects of it. I live in Australia am Celtic x Meditareanean. Most of my western Buddhist friends are vegetarian and don't drink alcohol but a few do.

Why are you specifically looking for a Caucasian?

I am white of European background. Indian men always try to approach me, one even told me he was looking for a wife and would I be interested. Of course I said no. Their approach is always odd to me and basically just looking for a wife not someone to fall in love with. So, no, I would never consider it because I am not merely looking for a husband.

Have you tried online dating?

I'm of South Asian origin and having been raised in that culture, I can tell you 100% that unless the guy raised in that culture is more westernized, a romantic relationship with a woman raised in western culture won't work. Being westernized does not mean being able to speak English, dating white women, eating meat, or drinking alcohol. Being westernized is more about the approach to life.

The bottom line is approach to marriage and married life in these 2 cultures is very different. In South Asian culture - a woman is expected to keep the guy's family at the center of her happiness and is expected to dissolve in her marriage. In Western culture - the man and the woman are expected to leave their parents' home and form their own nest. Family interference from either side is not encouraged or even tolerated. A lot of emphasis is placed on personal/individual happiness in western marriages.

During my stay in the US, I've seen that most of interracial relationships with South Asian men didn't last because the guy was too controlling/demanding/not classy enough/didn't know what he was doing in bed/family drama. I have also seen very few genuine interracial relationships involving South Asian men (raised in their culture). Most of these men seemed to be interested in especially white women for a quick green card, or they think white women are easy to get into bed with, or some status thing ("oh, look at me. I can get a white girl to go out with me.")

After having lived in both cultures for 10+ years of my adult life, my personal opinion is that a south Asian woman marrying a Westerner has higher chances of success than the other way.

I am married to someone who came from the Philippines and we have been together for over 10 years. I am the only person in my family who is married interracial. My relationship did not come very easily with my family's expectations over issues of citizenship and culture.

Cultural barrier is going to be your challenge in finding a westerner. Many people from Indian culture come from a very conservative background. Since most of American culture is very pro-liberal, that is where you may experience cultural clash (or even any woman who was raised in a first-world culture). The success of an interracial relationship has to do with finding the right person who shares your personal values and views.

If it helps, I am 32 well educated etc. Curious to hear points of views here. And if yes, where can I actually meet a quality white woman? Nightclubs are out of question as those are generally filled with teenagers with red solo cups

At 32, you're a bit old for nightclubs. Most of the people who club are in their 20's. The 30-year-olds are smart enough not to waste over $15 for a "special margarita" when they can get a better and cheap one at bars.

As far as meeting people, volunteer for festivals. Find clubs within your local area (like hiking clubs). Go on Meetup.com to find adult activities. Also, there is online dating.

I can tell you 100% that unless the guy raised in that culture is more westernized, a romantic relationship with a woman raised in western culture won't work.

This is not entirely true. At least not with me and my husband. Patience and acceptance has to come from both ends. I learned many aspects from my husband's culture as he did with mine. We did have a couple cultural clashes, but we always have managed to work them out.

Being raised in the same religion and having very similar values and expectations helped us work through culture clashes though.

This question is primarily for American women (living in USA) or women of any other nationality.... Would you be open / interested in dating and eventually marrying an Indian guy (born in India)? I currently have a friend who is dating a white woman but I do want to hear directly from the horses mouth

Thanks

What would your parents say about you marrying an American white woman? Would they approve?

Well, our Health Minister's (Leo Varadkar) mother and father made a go of it. (Father Indian, Mother Irish).

Born in Mumbai, Dr Varadkar moved to England in the 1960s where he met his wife Miriam, who is from Dungarvan in Waterford.

The couple spent time living in India during the 1970s but relocated to Ireland where the doctor set up a practice in Blanchardstown, Dublin.

The couple have three children: Sophia, a neurologist in Great Ormond Street Hospital in London; Sonia, a midwife in the Coombe Hospital in Dublin; and Leo, who is also a qualified GP.

I daresay much depends on the individuals involved.

I think a lot of women would be interested. Just make sure that when you meet a woman you like you make it clear that you are looking to date with the intent to marry someday, because most white women are aware of the fact that a lot of Indian guys will date/sleep with white women and even be in relationships with them, but only temporarily, until it's time to marry the Indian women their families had picked for them. For this reason, they are reluctant to get involved with Indian guys, and also because we all know Indian families are very traditional and chances are they would be less-than-thrilled with their sons bringing an "outsider" in the family. So make sure you let the women know that your situation is different, that your family won't object to a potential union, and that they are not traditional in the sense that only an Indian woman is seen as good enough for their son (if that's the truth of course).

Are you asking about caucasian/white or AMERICAN/any non-Indian nationality? I don't want to assume that you mean white when you say American since there are a LOT of non-white Americans.

Clear this up then I'll give you my advice as an American (of mixed race) married to an Indian.

I'm still waiting for the Op to answer whether or not his parents would approve of him marrying outside his race. If they wouldn't, then why would he want to date outside of his race only to (more likely then not) dump her and break her heart when your parents demand it of you.

If they won't care then join a dating site and see how successful you are in pulling who it is you'd like to be with.

Pardon my cynicism but I've read far too many stories just like I'm painting to not at least ask the question.

Archived