Open Club  ·  91 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What's annoying you today? Part 2

WithLove

Cheet, I am appalled by the poor conditions at group homes. Absolutely awful. It makes me sick. I've seen people as patients who come from these homes and it's just terrible conditions, and I'm not just talking physically, I mean emotionally too. They are massively understaffed.

This is why my sister will be living with me when I'm older and my parents are unable to live with her/have passed away. It will be a cold day in hell before I let her go to one of those places to rot away and be assaulted by other residents.

Cheet, I am appalled by the poor conditions at group homes. Absolutely awful. It makes me sick. I've seen people as patients who come from these homes and it's just terrible conditions, and I'm not just talking physically, I mean emotionally too. They are massively understaffed.

This is why my sister will be living with me when I'm older and my parents are unable to live with her/have passed away. It will be a cold day in hell before I let her go to one of those places to rot away and be assaulted by other residents.

Same, Fudgie. Same. If M ever needed a higher level of care, the only thing I would be willing to do would be in-home services with a million nanny cams all over the place, that I could access a live stream of from wherever I am.

They are incredibly understaffed, as are the state agencies that manage the wards. The number of cases each is assigned make it absolutely impossible to provide individualized assistance, let alone do their mandatory checks and visits.

Yup, my son is never going to one either. I will find another family member to be his support.

Yes, ma'am. I hear you.

I know they are not ALL bad. But most...well, they are. And if you want a quality place, you're going to be on 10+ year waiting lists and paying a lot of money. It's the way of it.

Yes, ma'am. I hear you.

I know they are not ALL bad. But most...well, they are. And if you want a quality place, you're going to be on 10+ year waiting lists and paying a lot of money. It's the way of it.

Yup 12 year waits here. They said my son will be able to be independent but ONLY with support. And Cheet you and I are in same position as our sons are only children which is every parent's horror when it comes to finding someone to support your child.

Did I tell you guys about my financially foolish career change decision? Starting about 6 months ago, I mulled over this as I was exposed to more and more of the mistreatment and inadequate care people are receiving in nursing homes, assisted living facilities, etc.

I'm enrolled for the spring BNA training program(CNA). Night classes, weekend clinicals. I'm going to make less money than I am now, however there's more demand on me to be in office and I can't do it. So...it's not completely foolish, given how many second and graveyard shifts are available. It actually will work out better, as far as my time goes. And if it's for me...If I decide it's for me, this path...I'll further my education in the medical field(nursing). If it isn't, well - Not all is lost, I have something to fall back on.

I feel like I keep encountering issues that only cement that this is a good idea(obviously, I've had second thoughts about it).

Did I tell you guys about my financially foolish career change decision? Starting about 6 months ago, I mulled over this as I was exposed to more and more of the mistreatment and inadequate care people are receiving in nursing homes, assisted living facilities, etc.

I'm enrolled for the spring BNA training program(CNA). Night classes, weekend clinicals. I'm going to make less money than I am now, however there's more demand on me to be in office and I can't do it. So...it's not completely foolish, given how many second and graveyard shifts are available. It actually will work out better, as far as my time goes. And if it's for me...If I decide it's for me, this path...I'll further my education in the medical field(nursing). If it isn't, well - Not all is lost, I have something to fall back on.

I feel like I keep encountering issues that only cement that this is a good idea(obviously, I've had second thoughts about it).

Wow! That's great!

Cheet, that's great. The world can always use more health care professionals with Life Experience!!

My bro and I were discussing along this theme this morning over coffee. I've worked in group homes, and I've managed homes. He's a nurse. We've both seen some crazy things and people who may have the licensing to work, but in our opinions, have no place in health care. Some things you can't teach and some things you need experience to provide quality care.

I don't think it's foolish at all. The healthcare field is booming and many places all over are really short-staffed. CNA position would give you some really good experience and if you like it, you can pursue higher education and advance yourself. Are you interested in working in a nursing home, a hospital, or another kind of facility?

Having spent a few years in the past working in a CNA-type position in a couple different locations, I can only say a few things:

1) Thick skin. You may be treated poorly - by patients, by co-workers, by superiors. Stick it out and don't take it personally because people who lash out at you, they lash out at other people and that's just how they are.

2) It's easy to pick a hill to die on but you must resist the urge or you will drive yourself mad. You will probably see bad things happen (abuse, etc.) and all you can do is report and try not to let it eat at you if nothing is done.

3) Don't hurt your back. Don't hurt your back. Did you hear me? I said Don't hurt your back. Even if it means that a patient is uncomfortable for a couple extra minutes so you can go, grab the appropriate lifting equipment/staff to help you, IT'S WORTH IT. The patient's discomfort is quickly resolved. Chronic back pain is not. Please don't be me, late 20s and now I have to be careful for the rest of my life because I've already herniated my back in 2 different spots.

Anyway, overall, I think it's very worthwhile and I think you'll find it really eye-opening and interesting.

Tbh, I'm a little surprised. I would have guessed you would have gone the "social work" route, since you seem to know a lot about the process and how to get services and such.

I'm surprised, too. Fudgie, everyone says that - They thought I would go the social work route, that I'd be a good fit for it. And I would, in some ways. In others, I really think my mental health would suffer tremendously. I'm not saying that wouldn't happen as a CNA. But not to the same extent. I had to take that into consideration.

I would like to work in a nursing home. Right now I am in contact with a facility that is verrry close to me, within walking distance - That is still in construction, set to be up and running by May of this coming year. The community college program I chose is one of the agencies/colleges they would select in the case of paying for CNA training/testing and an agreement to work for them. I am already enrolled so it's a little different in this case, but it is possible I may work for them and they will reimburse me. I don't know yet if I want to do this for sure. I mean shoot, I should. I can get there in less than 10 minutes by foot. And I'd have a guaranteed position. But I want to get a better feel for the management as it evolves before I commit to that.

Thanks for the tips, Fudgie. The hill to die on thing is my big issue with social work. I truly would go crazy in that profession.

I don't have it in me to work in social work either. I don't know how they do it. I have an old childhood friend who is in social work and it's rough - they are usually under-staffed too. I think it would be difficult because you have to hear about ALL of the awful details of their living situations, family dynamics, psychiatric problems, etc. In addition, you're trying to navigate a difficult system for them. Many times, there is failure - either on the patient end due to non-compliance/other issues (frustrating) or because the system fails (REALLY frustrating). I can't imagine.

How long would you have to work there to get reimbursed for your education? Even if it's not a truly good fit/feel, if it's not too long, it may be worth it to you, so you can get reimbursed.

I think it's really great, I do. So much help is needed and the demand is only going to increase more over time.

One year, Fudgie. I mean, I am already paying for it myself anyhow. I don't really have anything to lose. If I leave before then, I simply would not be reimbursed. If I were going through them and letting them place me in the program, I'd be stuck there because they'd pay up front - And I'd have to reimburse THEM. So I have a big advantage here, already being enrolled in one of their approved programs independently.

This is going to sound a bit stupid - But I probably could stick it out for the year because I wouldn't know any better. I wouldn't know if what I am dealing with it standard, if it's a good fit etc., being that it would be my first opportunity/experience. So you're right. And I have nothing to lose financially, only to gain in the position I am in if I stay there for the year.

Just my personal opinion but if it's 6 months - 1 year commitment and they reimburse you, heck, I'd go for it. Any longer than that and I'd say "uhmmm..." unless you knew what you were getting into. Good thing about CNA is that it's flexible in terms of scheduling. If you really can't stand the staff who tend to work on x shift, then you can switch to another one. It's not like you are stuck in an office every day with the same people and no way out. It's hard to be right out of school without any experience so even if you only stayed there for a year and not a day over that, it's still going to look good for you, going into the future and looking at other healthcare jobs.

And you can always visit other places or volunteer per diem to get a REAL feel for other facilities/nursing homes. coworkers can be a great resource - I know many of mine have worked at 3-4+ different hospitals and facilities and they have their own experiences and opinions and boy, they love to share.

I don't understand people who do or say things deliberately to rile you up (and admit doing so), but when you get riled up they get upset and demand that you calm down and stop being riled up! Well, if you didn't deliberately say and/or do something to yank my chain I wouldn't get riled up!

I was doing fine minding my own business just sitting at home calmly and then someone had to send me text after text taunting me because my favorite football team lost. Then when I finally bit back (after multiple taunting texts!), I was ordered to calm down and was told it was "all in good fun"!

Can someone please explain why people who claim to love you would deliberately attempt to upset or anger you??!! It's not my idea of "fun"!

People who step into a dark road at night wearing dark clothes, looking away from me with their dark head cover. You may have seen me but because of the bright oncoming headlights I can't see you until you are fully in my low beams and I have to hit the brakes hard. It get's dark too early; people are still walking home at 5 pm and crosswalks are not lit.

Walmart holey jeans gym guy is on the prowl. He bugged me again last time I was there. Found out yesterday it's not just me. He got in the sauna with some woman and told her he gives great massages. She almost decked him. AND, he tried to hug the manager the first day he met her. I told him to eff off the last time he talked to me. Put his foot on the treadmill to block me from even exercising so I can sit there and listen to his creepiness.

They've warned him. I fully believe he's cognitively typical and just a nasty man on the prowl who refuses to hear no. We have protocol now. They gave me a buzzer that dings the upstairs to use in case he bothers me. There are cameras down there but he corners me in the one area that the camera doesn't reach.

I hate this guy. I hope he gets banned.

Walmart holey jeans gym guy is on the prowl. He bugged me again last time I was there. Found out yesterday it's not just me. He got in the sauna with some woman and told her he gives great massages. She almost decked him. AND, he tried to hug the manager the first day he met her. I told him to eff off the last time he talked to me. Put his foot on the treadmill to block me from even exercising so I can sit there and listen to his creepiness.

They've warned him. I fully believe he's cognitively typical and just a nasty man on the prowl who refuses to hear no. We have protocol now. They gave me a buzzer that dings the upstairs to use in case he bothers me. There are cameras down there but he corners me in the one area that the camera doesn't reach.

That alone would cause me to demand his removal. That's unsafe, no matter how cognitive you are.

I initially thought perhaps he may have been disabled and had difficulties reading people. But after constants 'no' from numerous people and on more than one occasion, I don't think that is the case.

If he's down there, I move to the cycle room or I use the 2 treadmills that are off to the left, because I know with certainty that the camera has focus on that area completely(the ladies have shown me the surveillance workup). He could only know this if he had seen the same thing himself, which I know he hasn't because they'd never let him in the office area. So either he's really tech savvy and somehow knows how the cameras down there work, or it's coincidental.

I initially thought he was harmless but a bit strange. Now I think he's some kind of perv. The director would have to be the one to ban him. They're putting in another camera by the woman's bathroom area because it doesn't survey the entire area, only a part of it. So evidently he is aware, but I'm guessing because he hasn't actually physically assaulted someone or something, or because he hasn't said stuff that is..how to put it...Blatantly harassing, that they're just going to keep warning him and doing this other crap.

At my gym. One of the bodybuilder would of picked him up twirled him around and throw him out.

Harassment has no place at any gym.. Giving you a buzzer is nonsense.

Contact corporate and get him removed.

It's not a chain gym, I'd have to speak to the director personally about that. Which I will do tonight, since I know he will be there.

I agree it is non sense. A lot of times I have the gym to myself, so any time he has bugged me it's only been him and I in there. I've changed the times I go but it is random, when he is there...And also stupid. I shouldn't have to do that.

This: Not the part about gift cards, but the scolding tone and "do it right" attitude toward gift giving. (She writes: "I hadn't even fully unwrapped the present before I blurted out, 'We're going to nip this in the bud.'") Some people are great at gift giving. Some are more spontaneous. Some are confused.

(About shopping earlier in the year: this tends to backfire for me. If the recipient really wants it, they buy it for themselves sometime between when I buy it and December. And then, the window for returning it has sometimes expired. Or, sometime during the year their tastes have changed, as does their "wish list". Or, if I buy too early I loose track of where I hid it.