Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

video game lounge, Part 2

happyfrank

Please don't even talk about PS5 right now. Not looking forward to shelling out another few hundred dollars. However, I do agree on the backward compatibility part. Would have loved it if PS4 could do PS3.
Yep. I had a backwards compatible PS3 that ran PS1 and PS2 games. It finally croaked for good a few months back. One of the biggest tragedies of my life.

Honestly, I'd drop a couple hundred extra bucks on a PS5 running reliable hardware that covered its preceeding generations.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep. I had a backwards compatible PS3 that ran PS1 and PS2 games. It finally croaked for good a few months back. One of the biggest tragedies of my life.

Honestly, I'd drop a couple hundred extra bucks on a PS5 running reliable hardware that covered its preceeding generations.

I'm sorry to hear that. That's one of the rumors that it will cover proceeding generations.

Here is the full article.

https://www.techradar.com/news/ps5-could-be-backwards-compatible-with-ps4-ps3-ps2-and-original-playstation

Playing assassin's creed odyssey. Since they made AC more RPG in origins.. They perfected AC more by making it more like the witcher 3 in regards to path choices and combat. I'm about 20 hours in and only about 15% complete. Huge fun game that will keep you busy with all the quest within the game.

The Div 2. It's awesome like Div 1 but they put in new features like end game raids of 6 players.. It's currently the only social game I play. Game feature answer the call allows you help players in need. Since players help me. I do the same.

MK 11 is fun online action and the story mode was great.

Only played about 20 mins of RDR 2. The game was included with ps4 pro purchase. I want to finish odyssey first.

Between horizon zero dawn and god of war. I think God of war was the best game in it's ps4 cycle.

Yeah I love the AC games, even the less than stellar ones. Origins really kicked things up a notch - I'm waiting until I have a nice big block of time to dig into Odyssey.

Currently playing Final Fantasy Adventure from the newly released Collection of Mana on the switch. SO NOSTALGIA! Looking forward to the replay of Secret of Mana and then the third game in the series which wasn't released in the US before this collection. Been waiting 20 years!

Yeah I love the AC games, even the less than stellar ones. Origins really kicked things up a notch - I'm waiting until I have a nice big block of time to dig into Odyssey.

Currently playing Final Fantasy Adventure from the newly released Collection of Mana on the switch. SO NOSTALGIA! Looking forward to the replay of Secret of Mana and then the third game in the series which wasn't released in the US before this collection. Been waiting 20 years!

That's very cool. Did you play octopath traveler on the switch?

I love Bloodborne! Difficult to get into Rage 2 so far. Lot of driving around and not much to see in the early stages. Finding it difficult to find supplies and it’s been annoying me.

I'm high school friends with one of the producers of Rage 1, not sure if he assisted on Rage 2.

We've progressed a bit further in Div II and we are suspecting that the end is just going to pit our characters against each other. BF and I are playing together, he's a rogue and I'm a caster (I went aerotheurge and necromancer, but have some hydrosophist and polymorph throw in also). No spoilers, please! I dislike that, as I much prefer PvE games, but it's still been a really good game up til now. We just rescued Seheila from Roost. That whole battle was hard, but the one with the outside guards and Mummy Dearest was the most difficult fight we've come across (that we didn't run from, lol).

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Lately I’ve been playing a lot of retro games. Mostly Genesis, Super NES, and MAME. Nice breath of fresh air from the current games that are so involved.

My boyfriend likes to do this. He focuses mainly on PlayStation and computer games. For example, a couple years ago he went through the whole Final Fantasy series, starting with the original Final Fantasy. He ended up getting a PS Vita for FF3, 4, & 5.

He's now playing through the Dragon Age series. He really enjoys the progression of the video games in a series, especially story lines and improvements to the organization of the games in general.

He thinks that the older games are a lot more challenging than the new games. I can attest for this myself, having recently started playing Diablo III after 20 years of video-game-free living. The "normal" game setting on III was a joke as compared to I and II. I practically sleepwalked through it on my first go-around. Now I have the level set to "Hard," but it's still really easy.

Back around the time that I played Diablo I and II, I actually found (and purchased) an Atari joystick online that came preprogrammed with all of the old classics. It's tough to use, though. Not as flexible as the original joysticks. I still have it somewhere...

I looked into a new NES Classic system a couple years ago. I think it would be fun to play Zelda and Super Mario Brothers again. I still (weirdly) get a little thrill of excitement when I look at those old crappy graphics. I know that if I say the word to my boyfriend, he will make on magically appear. So, I've been trying to hold off lol.

My boyfriend likes to do this. He focuses mainly on PlayStation and computer games. For example, a couple years ago he went through the whole Final Fantasy series, starting with the original Final Fantasy. He ended up getting a PS Vita for FF3, 4, & 5.

He's now playing through the Dragon Age series. He really enjoys the progression of the video games in a series, especially story lines and improvements to the organization of the games in general.

He thinks that the older games are a lot more challenging than the new games. I can attest for this myself, having recently started playing Diablo III after 20 years of video-game-free living. The "normal" game setting on III was a joke as compared to I and II. I practically sleepwalked through it on my first go-around. Now I have the level set to "Hard," but it's still really easy.

Back around the time that I played Diablo I and II, I actually found (and purchased) an Atari joystick online that came preprogrammed with all of the old classics. It's tough to use, though. Not as flexible as the original joysticks. I still have it somewhere...

I looked into a new NES Classic system a couple years ago. I think it would be fun to play Zelda and Super Mario Brothers again. I still (weirdly) get a little thrill of excitement when I look at those old crappy graphics. I know that if I say the word to my boyfriend, he will make on magically appear. So, I've been trying to hold off lol.

Wow that’s dedication in how you described him going through FF and Dragon Age! I tried playing one of the FF ones but could not get into it. From what you’re telling me Diablo sounds like a cakewalk. Especially after having not played any games for 20 years.

I’ve been playing a lot of side scrolling beat em ups like Final Fight, Streets of Rage, and Punisher. Along with puzzle games like Columns, Puzzle Bobble, and Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo.

The original controllers will always be the best and have that special feel you remember. What were you playing before you took the 20 year sabbatical from gaming?

Wow that’s dedication in how you described him going through FF and Dragon Age! I tried playing one of the FF ones but could not get into it.

Actually, I just talked to him about it and it seems that he stopped after FF5 because there was a remake of FF6 and his momentum petered out when he reached the FF6 crossroads: play the original or play the remake. That was the question, and he hasn't made a decision in three years lol.

He explained that FF7 was the first one in 3D. At some point later on, they remade FF6 in 3D. So, I think what he will eventually do is play FF6 top-down, then FF7, then FF6 3D, then continue through the rest of the series.

He undertook the whole Final Fantasy effort because FF15 had recently come out. He had only ever played FF7 and wanted to experience the whole 'journey.' That's very typical of his approach to gaming. And to comics, and puzzles, etc.

I seem to have piqued his interest about Final Fantasy again with my questions, so maybe he will resume his quest in the near future.

Yeah, he does have dedication. It helps that he loves the progression of game formats, interfaces, and 'delivery' technology as well as the story telling aspects. He believes that (at least some) video games are as (or even more) enriching than any other type of art.

Other games that he really enjoys are the Assasin's Creed series, The Last of Us, Fall Out, Elder Scrolls (he will be working his way back trough them, imminently).

He's pretty clever because he finances this hobby through intermittent auctioning and resale of video games, as well as Game Stop and Best Buy credits. So, it's almost self-sustaining, although he does put forth some money here and there. For example, when The Last of Us 2 comes out, he will probably pay full price for it.

From what you’re telling me Diablo sounds like a cakewalk. Especially after having not played any games for 20 years.

So far, it's not very difficult. We beat it pretty fast on "Normal" mode, so this time around (with new characters) we're on "Hard" mode. That was a little more challenging in the beginning, but it's gotten more easy.

There are quite a lot of difficulty settings, though. We've just scratched the surface, so it's possible we'll meet our match when we get up to like Torment Level or whatever.

I just seem to remember Diablo I and II to be a lot less forgiving from the get-go. I remember having to think a little more about my inventory and wealth management, etc.

I’ve been playing a lot of side scrolling beat em ups like Final Fight, Streets of Rage, and Punisher. Along with puzzle games like Columns, Puzzle Bobble, and Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo.

My boyfriend recommends Dead Cells if you like side-scrollers. It's not a beat-em up so much, but it's an excellent throwback game. He doesn't want to give too much away about the format, but there's a cool twist.

What were you playing before you took the 20 year sabbatical from gaming?

I took the 'sabbatical' because I found myself playing Diablo from almost the moment I got home from work to the time that I went to sleep at night. In my early 20s, that was pretty late--hours upon hours per night. Alarm bells went off in my head and I quit cold turkey!

It took years for my boyfriend to get me to play again. He actually tried to entice me a few years ago by re-buying me Diablo I and II for Christmas. We did play Diablo II for a little while, but then I had to start studying for my licensing exams so I begged off.

I'm really only playing Diablo III right now because we've both been laid off as a result of COVID. But I'm glad I started. The mindlessly gratifying button-mashing has helped me to relax a lot.

In college, I played only sporadically. I didn't have my own gaming system. I played games on other people's consoles here and there. Some Sonic, whatever Mario Brothers, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat....

Was it Mortal Kombat that had that little "toasty" guy pop up intermittently?

Do you know that if you hit the right buttons when that happened, it said, "Get ready for a blast from the past" and that blast from the past was Pong??? I thought that was so funny.

I played video games a lot more when I was 10 - 14. We didn't really get a lot of games in my house. We owned the basics, like Duck Hunt, Mario Bros, Zelda. I conquered Zelda like a million times.

Before that, we had Atari. I think we only had Pac Man. And then we got Snoopy and the Red Baron.... I had to go to my cousins' house to enjoy other games.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you've both played some great ones over the years! I checked out Dead Cells which I would be playing on PS4. Looks pretty good, however, I can't be dropping that kind of money on games right now. Especially with the fact that I have LOTS of other ones I haven't finished yet. I even have a few still in the plastic wrapping. LOL!

Archived