Is a manager in the rights to call an employee a nickname?

yeawutever

Though this was ages ago (in my very first job position.. I was then 19/20), I made a mistake in thinking about something that was funny and laughed to myself. Little did I know, my then manager Nelly saw it and it was too late when I noticed her.

Ever since then, once in a while she would at times say ''Loca'' (meaning crazy girl in Spanish; I'm trilingual) but in a jokingly manner. However, there was a time I was kind of stressed out and really didn't appreciate it but said nothing since she was of higher order.

If it were happening now that I'm older and more likely to speak for myself, I would tell him/her to please refer to me by my name. I really hate it that someone would think of you as weird or crazy just because they caught you laughing at something by yourself. Other than that, no one else thought I was weird. Everyone else referred to me by my name.

Nope, they aren't. And it wasn't really a nickname, more of a bit of a jab at you. The manager was an a$$. Onward and upward.

P.S. I laugh to myself all the time about jokes or funny movies or things my friends or family said. I've also been known to curse out loud at what appears to be nothing when waling into spider webs. Your manager would probably have been terrified of me. LOL

Ever since then, once in a while she would at times say ''Loca'' (meaning crazy girl in Spanish; I'm trilingual) but in a jokingly manner.
I think she was just joking with you. Probably if you had of told her you didn't think it was funny (and said it in a joking manner) she wouldn't do something like that again.

Did you laugh back when she said it or did you look unaffected on the outside but were upset on the inside?

I think I would have just laughed back with her and kept myself from getting to angst out about it since she did say it jokingly.

I receive training frequently on how to provide a good work environment and one of the newest things is to not call a younger person "kid" Like "Take the kid with you" "Hey kid how was your weekend"

Seems a bit over the top but I can see how someone might be bothered by it.

Bosses are people too and make mistakes just like everyone else so I hope if I screw up they would come to me and talk to me about it. Standing up for yourself is a good trait to have.

You shouldn't be made to feel bad at work, you should feel supported and appreciated.

So the answer is no manager has the right to label you with nickname.

Lost

The manager is using the nickname affectionately.

If you don't like it, talk to the manager whenever you get a minute alone and say, "Hey, I know you don't mean anything by it, but I just prefer being called by my real name at work."

Personally, I'd try to grow a thicker skin, but if you really can't take it then assert yourself.

Thank you all

I think it was said in an affectionate manner and not being malicious. That said, this was almost ten years ago and long in the past. Why is this still an issue? was Reading a topic regarding work related ethics somewhere else and just wanted to share this.

Bayna33, my name is only 5 letters. My co-workers would referred to me by my name. There is no shorter version.

I think she was just joking with you. Probably if you had of told her you didn't think it was funny (and said it in a joking manner) she wouldn't do something like that again.

Did you laugh back when she said it or did you look unaffected on the outside but were upset on the inside?

I think I would have just laughed back with her and kept myself from getting to angst out about it since she did say it jokingly.

At first I would kind of blush and then just say nothing.

I work in an environment that's prolly a whole lot different than yall do. 10 guys living and working together for 28 days at a time., if we couldn't joke around, call each other nicknames it would really suck. They call me the Leprechaun (5'7" beard, long hair) we have one we call Crackdaddy bc he's so skinny, have one guy from Honduras we call the Mexican.

My point is she was prolly just pickin at you

Archived