Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

" In a box not a bottle" Asperger's revealed

Seraphim

So I emailed an autism activist who used to know my son.

Dear Sir,

You knew my son, (name) when he was at ( school and location). You were his case manager and his resource teacher for grade 7. I am not sure if you remember my son. ()has since been diagnosed with ASD. ()is now leaving high school and graduating in June! We have moved to (location) If possible ()needs your assistance once again. We are trying to get the disability tax credit to help be able to support ()in his life. We are having trouble getting through to the CRA that he actually does need the support. If you could contact me at my email address()or my phone number ()that would be great.

Thank you so much in advance,

""

I'm so, so sorry Vic. I imagine you're going to fight it, right? Can you find a psychiatrist to vouch for your son, saying that he needs it? I don't know how the process works over there....

That's the thing Fudgie, I've had a psychologist fill out the government form , a medical doctor fill out the government form. Both of them put on the form that he is significantly disabled 90% of the time. They don't care. Now I can go to an appeals process which I can pay for myself and they cut the benefit in half. Or I can find another medical professional to fill out the same form ,pay the medical professional send it back to the government and have them refuse me again. I was so frustrated I told my husband that my life insurance money would help cover whatever my son needed. He said don't be ridiculous your son needs you more than he needs money. And I realize that's drastic and I mean 99.9% I probably would never do it but I am so frustrated.

I just don't understand why this happened. I'm really angry on behalf of you! And yes of course, your son needs you and your love 10fold over any sort of money. I just don't understand. What's the point of going through that process and having DOCTORS FILL OUT FORMS TESTIFYING THAT HE IS DISABLED only to reject it? Based on what grounds? Utter crap. It makes me so mad. I see people here with a LOT less than your son, that some would argue aren't even disabled just freaking lazy and exaggerating their problems, and they get hundreds of $$ a month. I hate that. Then the people who REALLY need help don't get it.

I just don't understand why this happened. I'm really angry on behalf of you! And yes of course, your son needs you and your love 10fold over any sort of money. I just don't understand. What's the point of going through that process and having DOCTORS FILL OUT FORMS TESTIFYING THAT HE IS DISABLED only to reject it? Based on what grounds? Utter crap. It makes me so mad. I see people here with a LOT less than your son, that some would argue aren't even disabled just freaking lazy and exaggerating their problems, and they get hundreds of $$ a month. I hate that. Then the people who REALLY need help don't get it.

I just really don't understand what they don't get. Because he can graduate high school??? Sure ,intellectually he's mostly okay. Socially, no ,he's not. His social ability is below par,very below. His common sense and life skills are probably on par with that of a 10-year-old. The doctors have stated significant lifelong disability.

Did the doctors specifically say that he won't be able to hold down a job in the future?

The psychologist stated the only time he would probably actually work a job is if it's in his own special niche interest. Other than that he doesn't see him being successful. Because he needs his special interest to motivate him. Money won't be enough to motivate him to work.

ugh, i'm sorry to hear this. i don't have much to add. i hope he enjoys his college classes and that he finds something that he is passionate about and can make a living wage off of.

Me too Annie , me too.

I start the provincial fight next week. When I start his ODSP. Which is the Ontario disability pension. The other situation I've been talking about is the federal portion. At least with the provincial pension there is a caseworker that will actually meet with him.

Aww that's awesome, Vic! Congrats.

Now it is just getting him to agree. Not very easy. If it's change and other people he flat out refuses to co operate . So the person I'm going to have to feel them out very well for how they would handle him when he becomes belligerent because of anxiety.