Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

" In a box not a bottle" Asperger's revealed

Seraphim

[video=youtube_share;gBrWVUnFNi8] ]

My son and I had a solid bonding moment over this clip. At the end of the clip where she talks about how much her mother's efforts help her..... He just looked deep into my eyes and took my head and held it against his. Our heads touching side to side and he smiled and reached out and took my arm.

I can't tell you what this means to me.

I saw a video blog by an autistic girl and she said the main reason that Autism speaks isn't good is because they want a cure. You can't cure something that is not a disease. Autism isn't a disease. It's a developmental condition . Something people are born with. That's why they believe there isn't a cure. They don't want to be fixed rather to be understood.

I saw a video blog by an autistic girl and she said the main reason that Autism speaks isn't good is because they want a cure. You can't cure something that is not a disease. Autism isn't a disease. It's a developmental condition . Something people are born with. That's why they believe there isn't a cure. They don't want to be fixed rather to be understood.

Yes. At the same time for some they can't realize full potential, I guess in our terms. But due to comorbid conditions which can be treated a lot don't realize their full potential even though they have full intellectual ability.

And all are so completely different with different abilities and disability, it really is a full full spectrum of abilities and at the same time disability. And some have intellectual disability and some don't.

Some people with Asperger's can have IQs of 70 and some can have IQs of like 200. So intellectual ability is completely full range. Some can be fully independent and some can't. Some have anxiety ,depression and other psychological issues. Some don't have any of those distresses.

It is just very very variable.

As they say when you've met one autistic person you've met one autistic person.

I cant speak for all autistic individuals but I know that both of my siblings want a cure or a way for autism to be eliminated. I do see it as a loss of potential in one way or another. Both of my siblings are aware of their autism and get frustrated with it from time to time, but do their best. However, they do know that their lives are harder as a result.

I do see autism as an unfortunate developmental disorder. I hope it's gone in the future, gone completely. I don't see it as something just "different", like people havng diferent ways of learning or talents or opinions, I see it as unfortunate, something that can be treated to a degree, and you can still maybe have a meaningful life with it, but it's a heckava lot harder.

I've been told that I am an "ableist" for how I feel, but hey, whatever, guess I am. I love my family but autism sucks. I wish they weren't born with it. They wish they didn't have it. I wouldn't wish any of this on anyone. My sister is 22 but acts like she is 8-10 in some ways, including her hobbies and sexual development. It's sad.

I know my siblings have good self esteem, but both get frustrated sometimes. Especially because they see how the other kids are, how it takes them less time to do things, and both suffer from some pretty bad anxiety, and autism doesn't help with that at all.

I really want a way to eliminate autism and I really hope it's gone in the future so no one has to go through what they have.

I think the voice of all autistic people need to be heard. Those who would like to be cured and those who don't. Maybe in time if those who would like to be cured are and those who would like to be left as is could be left alone.

If that could be done, yeah, that would be cool. I wouldn't want to deny people like my sibs a cure because I know they want one but then others don't and if they are happy and fine the way they are, well, let 'em be.

Sent from Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...