Are abortions painful?

cupcake22

Just curious.

Now to finally answer your question. I've never had an abortion so I wouldn't know, but I've had other gynecological procedures done and I imagine they would inject you with numbing agent like lidocaine. The injection hurts, it is a needle after all. But when the painkiller kicks in, you don't feel anything where the numbing agent has taken affect. I imagine you would be numbed and wouldn't feel anything at all. Then maybe cramping after the procedure is done and the painkiller has warn off.

I don't know for sure though. Like I said, I've never had one so I don't know if they give you a painkiller or not. I'd look it up but I don't want my husband to see "abortion procedure" in my browser history & get the wrong idea. But in either case I imagine you would have some cramping for a few days which is definitely not comfortable.

Lets not turn this into pro life vs pro choice

The basics are it can hurt but there are painkillers

Every womans experience and reaction will be different

I agree, no need to get into a debate & it detracts from the OP's question anyway. The point of my previous post with the guttmacher link was to address the possible "mental pain" of an abortion, as another poster asked if the OP meant mental, physical, or both.

I've had many "scares" and always have thought about what I would do. I am not in a situation to raise a baby, but I don't think I could go through the actual procedure because it seems to be very physically painful and unnatural.

Cupcake, darl'n. There should be no more scares in your life. There is birth control, there is the morning after pill, there is condoms until you are with a man that will support you in your decision(s). Educate yourself and stop having "many scares" Be responsible.

I've had many "scares" and always have thought about what I would do. I am not in a situation to raise a baby,

There's a saying that goes: "If you can't raise a child then you shouldn't be having unprotected sex". WHY aren't you being responsible and taking some form of birth control? There are so many ways of birth control these days, so no excuse to "accidentally" fall pregnant. I would strongly advise you educate yourself on all forms of birth control and go to Planned Parenthood. Stay away from sex until you are well covered with the Pill (or something else). It's a far better way to go than having an abortion.

As for is abortion painful - I can imagine every single woman who has had one, has had a different experience. There's no yes or no answer for this question.

Cupcake, darl'n. There should be no more scares in your life. There is birth control, there is the morning after pill, there is condoms until you are with a man that will support you in your decision(s). Educate yourself and stop having "many scares" Be responsible.

I'm sure you didn't mean to be condescending, but I am responsible. Being scared doesn't automatically mean unsafe sex.

I have been on the pill for years, but I have missed periods before due to stress...and that's scary.

Missed periods sometimes happen. I know that can be scary. If you're on the pill don't necessarily assume that it's pregnancy. I know that's what we first assume though. Is it that you don't really trust the pill? If you don't trust it maybe double up on the birth control?

I'm sure you didn't mean to be condescending, but I am responsible. Being scared doesn't automatically mean unsafe sex.

Not being condenscending in the least. You posted that you've had many scares. I was simply responding on that statement which implies that you have not been being responsible. How does one miss a period when they are on a drug that regulates one's menses? Not being snarky, just asking.

When I was on the pill, it was determined that I was on one that was too strong for me as it was literally taking my period away. What does your doctor say? I'd ask about doubling up too before doing it without his/her councel.

Not being condenscending in the least. You posted that you've had many scares. I was simply responding on that statement which implies that you have not been being responsible. How does one miss a period when they are on a drug that regulates one's menses? Not being snarky, just asking.

When I was on the pill, it was determined that I was on one that was too strong for me as it was literally taking my period away. What does your doctor say? I'd ask about doubling up too before doing it without his/her councel.

Depends on the pill. I am on one that has no estrogen in it at all (the pills with estrogen increased my migraines), which means instead of the 21 days of pills with 7 "sugar pills", I am taking 28 days of straight pills...this makes my period all sorts of wacky. I can get it twice in a month, then not at all for 6 months. It is entirely random and I have had many "scares" as well because of it, even though I am taking the birth control properly.

I have never had an abortion, but I cannot imagine having to make that decision. I think it would be very painful no matter what I decided.

Didn't read through all these posts because it seems like it got very off topic but I thought I'd share my personal experiences with abortions. I've had two, both with my ex boyfriend. The first one I was a mess about I was so nervous and thought it was going to be very painful but I was also 18 and knew this was the only thing I could do about the situation. I was put under anesthia and I woke up and didn't feel any sort of discomfort. I went back to my guys house watched a couple movies and ate some soup, woke up early the next morning and went to work, and that was that. Almost two years later I found myself pregnant again, I wasn't being smart with my birth control and had forgotten some days anyways this time we went to a different clinic and I wasn't put under but they gave me a Xanax (thought this was a little strange) so I was completely awake during the procedure. It hurt a bit but it was just more uncomfortable than anything just knowing what was going on but emotionally it was fine the only part I struggled with was when they do the ultra sound. For the most part the physical pain was very minimal and for me I didn't have too much emotional connection towards the situation because I was confident this was the best option for me. With my second one though for about three weeks after the procedure I bled constantly and you aren't allowed to wear tampons up until I think two weeks so for those first two it was very difficult and I was afraid something had gone wrong but I kept calling the clinic and they assured me it was normal.

Obviously it's different for everyone but that was my personal experience.

Archived