Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

Yesterday was amazing! Went to the march- that was my first one! There were sooo many people there- and not just women. I saw my father in law and my nephew. Whole families were marching !

There were babies in backpacks and strollers. One baby had a,sign with "Babies Against Bigotry" attached to the pack. Another toddler was holding up a sign adorned with colorful scribbles -adorable.

I was amazed at the clever signs people had made: "Science is Greater than ignorance", "Love, not hate, makes America great", "Unity in diversity", "Keep your tiny hands off my health care", "The Trump Has No clothes", "Thought shalt not mess with reproductive rights. Fallopians 42:3", "Respect Existence or Expect resistence", "I'm teaching my daughter to knock down those walls".

So many more - and very clever signs.

All the things I care about too. I'm truly amazed at all the protesting and think it is good. Have Americans ever seen anything like this before? Maybe protesting to withdraw from Vietnam?

The number of people in Washington DC was largest or close to largest march in DC, ever. DC handled it well.

I went to a memorial service today with my son- one of his friend's dad died a few weeks ago. The church was so packed that they ran out of parking spots and we had to park on a neighboring street across a busy 4 lane highway.

I grabbed some dress shoes that I had not worn for a while and my feet hurt so much by the end! Guess those shoes are going into the donation bin...

This was a scout dad that passed away, so the scouts did a flag ceremony at the beginning. They had us say the Pledge of Allegiance, and all I could think of was the president's crazy order and how our country no longer stands for freedom or democracy, at least for now.

The memorial service itself was very touchING and at the end a scout played taps on his bugle. This guy was only 55 and too young to die!

So sad Lum. I recently joined my old primary school alumni and found our about a really popular and well known student who had passed away. It seems unfair. There are photos up of other students who passed who I don't remember and even grown up kids looking for photos and info on their parents who they say have passed.

Okay, so what happened is that our "president" signed some order on Friday blocking entry of non citizens from several (primarily Muslim) countries. Once the order was signed, then people that were en route on flights, were denied entry once they got to the US.

All of these people had valid visas. Many have valid green cards (allowing them to work legally in the US), and some are students from MIT and Harvard on a student visa. Some are children! As far as I can tell, some are still being detained at airports. And some were sent right back.

Some were able to contact family members who arranged for legal representation. A federal attorney placed a "stay " on the order, so at least some were not sent back. I think the airport in Boston is honoring the stay and has let people in with valid visas. But other airports have people still detained - and- they are not allowing legal counsel to talk directly with them.

These poor people- one was a refugee family that had finally been granted refugee status and valid visas. They sold all of their stuff to come here, only to be turned away. Another had been an interpreter to help US military and he was promised, as a thank you, a visa to immigrate here.

One is a doctor from the Cleveland Clinic (where Dr Oz used to work). She went home to visit her elderly mother and was on her way back, when she was sent back and her Visa was taken away.

It just makes no sense - little babies, young children, elderly - they were detained in order to prevent terrorists in our country.

So inhumane. So wrong.

Okay, so what happened is that our "president" signed some order on Friday blocking entry of non citizens from several (primarily Muslim) countries. Once the order was signed, then people that were en route on flights, were denied entry once they got to the US.

All of these people had valid visas. Many have valid green cards (allowing them to work legally in the US), and some are students from MIT and Harvard on a student visa. Some are children! As far as I can tell, some are still being detained at airports. And some were sent right back.

Some were able to contact family members who arranged for legal representation. A federal attorney placed a "stay " on the order, so at least some were not sent back. I think the airport in Boston is honoring the stay and has let people in with valid visas. But other airports have people still detained - and- they are not allowing legal counsel to talk directly with them.

These poor people- one was a refugee family that had finally been granted refugee status and valid visas. They sold all of their stuff to come here, only to be turned away. Another had been an interpreter to help US military and he was promised, as a thank you, a visa to immigrate here.

One is a doctor from the Cleveland Clinic (where Dr Oz used to work). She went home to visit her elderly mother and was on her way back, when she was sent back and her Visa was taken away.

It just makes no sense - little babies, young children, elderly - they were detained in order to prevent terrorists in our country.

So inhumane. So wrong.

Thank goodness people have spoken out - the Governor of Washington state, Senator McCain, the universities of Michigan and Northeastern. I have anxiety over it; have to bury my head so I can sleep.

Thank goodness people have spoken out - the Governor of Washington state, Senator McCain, the universities of Michigan and Northeastern. I have anxiety over it; have to bury my head so I can sleep.

I know. I was so thankful for the Washington State Governor! He was livid, and rightfully so.

I had let my Reiki meditation practices go this year. Time to get back into spiritual practices, to center myself.

Thanks for visiting my journal, ITIC. It is usually much more mundane these days (as my life tends to be).

And who am I to be careful from, ITIC? Do you mean subject matter on my journal or watch out for govt for speaking out against?

I guess it does feel weird, but it is on my mind and in my heart. I need so desperately to process it all.

Church was so helpful today, but my heart was also with the protesters. Some members of our church went to the protest. I stayed for our annual meeting, and our congregation voted to take a stand against the Doctrine of Discovery, after having studied it for a few months.

After I got home I filled my son in on the crazy legal stuff that happened this weekend. He had a date last night, and before that we had gone to the memorial service. So I didn't think he was aware of what is going on in the nation. And I was correct. Had a thoughtful discussion with him.

Forgot to say that at our staff meeting our middle school teachers were giving us a heads up that the parent of a student that died in a car accident last summer wants to come to our school to celebrate her deceased son's birthday this week with his former classmates.

That poor mom is grieving so much- and it makes her feel closer when she hangs out with her son's friends. Boy, our whole staff was in tears (including the men) just remembering that student. I guess we are going to make origami butterflies for the mom.