Relationship statuses on facebook

Blondiegirl

I always wondered this does anyone besides me think relationship statuses on facebook are kinda childish? I am not bitter or anything like that but I thought what is the point of letting everyone know hey I am in a relationship with so and so. I mean unless you are bragging majority of your close friends already know you are in a relationship so what is the point of letting everyone and their mum know you are in a relationship. Is it bragging rights? Is it hey I have a BF/GF you don't ha,ha? Anyone care to share some insight?

I always wondered this does anyone besides me think relationship statuses on facebook are kinda childish? I am not bitter or anything like that but I thought what is the point of letting everyone know hey I am in a relationship with so and so. I mean unless you are bragging majority of your close friends already know you are in a relationship so what is the point of letting everyone and their mum know you are in a relationship. Is it bragging rights? Is it hey I have a BF/GF you don't ha,ha? Anyone care to share some insight?

Most people have many FB friends, but only communicate actively with a small number of them. Posting your status is a way for all of your friends to see what is going on in your life. Besides, most people are very happy when they are in a relationship, and want to share it with everyone.

Most people have many FB friends, but only communicate actively with a small number of them. Posting your status is a way for all of your friends to see what is going on in your life. Besides, most people are very happy when they are in a relationship, and want to share it with everyone.

Pretty much this. I don't put that I'm married to make others feels jealous or to make them feel anything.. I'm proud to be married to that man, why wouldn't I put it on there?

I normally like to have my relationship status on facebook, but then me and my friends use it to keep upto date with eachother as we are all spread out. also not having relationship status on fb but knowing the person is/was in a relationship and asking about it can make things awkward haha.

I think for me, most of my relationships have been long distance so putting that on fb means even if people dont see us together physically, they still know not to hit on one or the other of us. haha..

Then again, I'm weird and put my relationship status as married/engaged/in relationship/its complicated with friends of mine haha xD

I love facebook (its a great revision tool when you use it properly)

Every circle of friends and family must be different. I am musician and have a large circle of Facebook friends. We get into stimulating conversations, see each other in person often, and have a really great time. For some people it is obviously different, but for us it is a great way to communicate with friends and family on our own time schedules. For example, I love seeing videos and pictures of my grandson's soccer game seconds after they actually happen.

I added my status (married) after I got hit on by a rude stranger. I don't remember if I had "in a relationship" or "engaged" as my status -I probably did. In addition, being married is an important part of who I am and my lifestyle, and since I am also a full time mother (and indicate that too) it makes sense for me to also list that I am married. Some of my FB friends are old friends/former colleagues who might not have known that I got married or had a baby. It's an easy way to share this important information.

What I do find to be bragging are the people who post close ups of their engagement rings when they have hundreds of friends or posts -whether about SOs or any other topic that seem to be a desire to brag. But just a status -nope. I do like to know what people are doing socially/personally if they wish to share.

Archived