Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

redrose85

That was good of Jared I packed everything up and he hauled it all upstairs into storage. We have three extra boxes now (my sister’s christmas things) so the storage area is now stuffed. I can’t believe how many needles that tree sheds. I told Alex that if we’re not home next year, I’m not going to be putting a tree up... just the smaller decorations.

OG- yay for nesty!!

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay! Slowly ironing wedding plans out.

The venue is a steal at $1000. That includes everything but food and drinks. Linens, servers, dishware, audio setup, you name it. Because the venue is so picturesque anyways, we will only really need some candles on the tables. I’m not big on tons of decor, ribbons, bows, etc...

I was just doing research into food, and found that we could do appetizers and finger foods, such as cheese fondue platters, fresh vegetables, fruit skewers, mini sandwiches, etc... and pay just over $1000, as opposed to a typical sit-down meal of salad, one choice of meat, etc... for $29 per plate. Times 80 people, that would be $2320. Terrifying.

I proposed to Alex that we have an evening ceremony, with a smooth transition into the reception, which will be people eating, drinking, dancing, having a great time with the option to nibble throughout the night. We also get the venue until midnight or later, so with the money saved, we’ll be able to provide coffee, tea, cider, hot chocolate, etc... later on in the evening. Dessert will just be cake. My cake and his ice cream cake. He loves the idea!

I’m not sure about having a dj... maybe just an ipod. BUT, I do have a connection to a dj for the time being, so we will see what happens there. My friends daughter is an amazing pianist and I’ve always wanted her to play something at our wedding, so we will see about that too. I know the photographer I’d like and his work is really impressive. To save on photography, we will hire him for only four hours or so-- for ceremony, after photos, and a few reception photos. So many people have digi cams now that I’m sure there would be plenty of photos taken during the party segment of the evening. As far as ceremony times, what do you guys think? Is 5 pm too early, too late? The actual ceremony is what? 30 mins?

Well if you do later, people will want a meal since that's dinner time. What about earlier in the afternoon? Like 3 or 4? That's the only thing I may see that may not fly. If you keep it that way though, just try to do heavy finger foods.

You're right about the photography. Do the artistic shots you want and for people with digital cameras, have cards made to go on each table that say "upload your photos to link removed, username sherryalex password wedding" or something. My sister did that and they got thousands of all kinds of pics. We tried to do that but the cards didn't make it to the tables for some reason.

Was it a religious ceremony? I’m not sure what we’re doing yet... catholic or civil.

5 pm MAY be too late. I’m trying to remember what it’s like here at 5 pm in March... We would have the venue until 1 am if that helps. I wonder if we should actually say in the invites that a light dinner will be served. I could see hungry people being ticked if they’re expecting dinner.

and I just saw that the venue prices are based on the plated meals. Crud. I hope it doesn’t change things too much.

That’s a great idea about photobucket!

Was it a religious ceremony? I’m not sure what we’re doing yet... catholic or civil.

5 pm MAY be too late. I’m trying to remember what it’s like here at 5 pm in March... We would have the venue until 1 am if that helps.

and I just saw that the venue prices are based on the plated meals. Crud. I hope it doesn’t change things too much.

It was non denominational( well my first ceremony was anyway) but they had music and prayers and so on. Civil ones I think are very short. Mine was at 11 AM. People were still at our reception at 2 AM and they had been there since 2 PM.:sleeping:

Oh and our ceremony was 10 mins start to finish. We didn't do a prayer or reading or sand/candle ceremony though so that shortened it. I actually loved everything about our ceremony. That was perfect.

Same here. According to the facebook video of our wedding ceremony, it was about 7-8 minutes. We had no prayer, no candle, no sand.. we DID have my uncle read a poem so I guess our ceremony really did fly by, lol!!!

It really depends on what kind of pictures you want for the wedding. A lot of people if they do a night wedding won't get married til between 5-7 or right before sunset that way a bunch of the bride and groom pictures are done at sunset and all other pictures (like bridal and family) are done somewhere inside the venue. We got married at 11:30 (ceremony actually started about noon I suppose) but I wanted bright and vibrant colors which mid day is perfect for that. we had 4 hours at the venue so one thing you can do (which we did) was while we were doing family and bridal pictures the rest of the guests were upstairs going and ahead getting their food. That way we were the last one to eat (aside from the photographers) and after we ate and did the cake and bouquet toss then L and I did our pictures while my family straightened up for us.

hmmmmm maybe something more like 3 pm would be better. I’m leaning towards a basic religious ceremony. A prayer or two, something to please the older generation, secure ourselves against going to hell since we haven’t been to church in years... On thing I know I want for the ceremony are ice candles, and probably to have it outside OR in front of the fireplace.

link removed

Some people are saying 20 pieces per guest. Ick! Maybe vegetables, but I think that’s quite the overestimate. If we end up needing multiples of platters, it wouldn’t even be worth it to skip a plated meal... it’d end up being pretty much the same price. I just find that so BORING.

Looking around the house, I’m seeing that I’ve been doing a bit of impulse buying. Need to nip that in the bud right now. For instance, a $5 nail dryer that does not work LOL.

Terrible sleep last night. I finally gave up and went to the couch at about 4 am... slept pretty well after that! I am sore today but going to the gym anyways. I was going to just walk to school, but it’s pouring rain. Yeah, no.

$10?! At work our fruit platters are $60 and up. Nice!

For this venue, we have to use their food and liquor. Nothing from the outside.

Don’t gripe at me for buying a parking pass! You never once walked to school. I need my car for the paper deliveries. You drive to the office which is a 10 minute walk away... Plus, why should I have to walk in the pouring rain? Yech. Had to vent.

$10?! At work our fruit platters are $60 and up. Nice!

For this venue, we have to use their food and liquor. Nothing from the outside.

Don’t gripe at me for buying a parking pass! You never once walked to school. I need my car for the paper deliveries. You drive to the office which is a 10 minute walk away... Plus, why should I have to walk in the pouring rain? Yech. Had to vent.

We went to Walmart though, lol. But I knew my family and friends would be comfortable in that type of setting - if I had thrown somethiing fancy at them they would have run for the hills. But only one fruit tray was ate there, the others we had to give away to guests because, well, some people decided to just not show up. $30 down the tube! that's not counting all the other food... we spent $200 on food for the wedding and really only needed maybe $100

I don’t know what to do about this friend anymore. All she cares about is this guy. She’s been crazy about him since last summer, and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. They’re not a couple, they just sleep together, and as far as I can tell, he’s using her. Everything she says is about him, even if it’s completely irrelevant, and frankly, I’m starting to feel embarrassed for her...she's always blurting out random stuff about their latest tryst, in a roomful of people to boot!

Archived