Failing a driving test

Selkinor

I'm feeling a little down right now, partly for failing a driving test, and partly because I feel like I was attacked on a personal level. Not only did I put it off until way after my eighteenth birthday, I managed to blow it within seconds of starting the test. Basically, I made a wide turn coming out of the DMV driveway and there was an oncoming car. The instructor slammed on the breaks and told me to slow down. But that was that, she was already writing out an essay and failing me. The test only lasted about two more minutes as I circled around the block and went back into the parking lot. I get it, almost hitting a car warrants a fail. Now, what irks me is she started telling me how I'm really stiff and nervous and I didn't seem respondent to her when she first greeted me. I mean, it was a little uncalled for. It's just my personality, I have a very nervous disposition (my foot started shaking uncontrollable the whole test after the whole almost-hit-a-car incident), and pretty bad social phobia. It took all I could muster to look her in the eye and smile when she said hello instead of duck behind the steering wheel or something. I also have very, very poor motor skills. I'm not sure what it is, but honestly I walk into walls sometimes. I feel like I shouldn't be driving, and if it was up to me I wouldn't be, but I can't be driven around everywhere forever. I'm dreading going back to take the test again next week, at the same DMV. I really don't feel confident even though several driving instructors have told me I can drive (not drive well, but not drive awful, either).

Ooh!

On one of my (many, I'm not telling you how many!) driving tests, I managed to hit the car in front whilst pulling away from the test centre. On another one, I had a head-on collision on the way TO the test centre (not my fault, head-on collision on our side of the road), but would anyone believe that? At the time, I was in pieces, and it did take a little while to see the funny side of it. I used to shake like a leaf when doing driving tests, and the one I finally passed felt from start to finish like an out-of-body experience.

If you know you CAN drive, and not many learner drivers drive well (that comes after you pass your test!) then it sounds as though it was nerves, pure and simple. Would you be able to get someone to prescribe you beta-blockers? I wish I'd known about these whilst putting myself through the ordeal which felt like a kamikaze mission every time! They will control much of the anxiety and all the physical symptoms like the foot shaking, but without losing any concentration or mental faculties. I know how excruciating it is, trying to control a clutch while your foot's doing a dance all on its own!

I deeply sympathise with the dread of going back to the test centre, I really do. But the sooner you get it over and done with, the easier it will be. And once you get the hang of driving on your own, it honestly is a lot less stressful than trying to do it with someone scrutinising your every move.

(((HUGS))) and good luck!

Sorry to hear what happened. Just focus on the prize at the end of the road which is not to be driven. Please shake tester's hand make them your friend for a few mins. I would recommend pratice this weekend but do this. Go to different DMV which is less crowded for the test and pratice over the weekend at that DMV location so you can be familiar to the area. That's what most people do here since LA is crowded. Good luck to you.

I failed my driving test the first time about 5 minutes in. Rolled through a stop sign which had its line placed a few metres back from the T junction where you couldn't see anything. Just through nerves or whatever I rolled through it and stopped were the actual sign was. Instant fail! Stupid mistake on my behalf but I suppose the instructor chose that specific stop sign because apparently it was a common place to fail. I didn't attempt my driving test again for 6 months because was so distraught. I take failure badly.

The second time I passed and after the test was over the driving instructor got out, slammed the car door hard and walked off without saying anything. When I got back to the licensing centre he was acting like a real jerk to me and making out like I was lucky to pass. It kinda made me angry that would should of been a happy occasion, passing my driving test and gaining independance, turned into this horrible event.

Lots of people fail their tests. A friend of mine failed her test 6 times. My sisters ex boyfriend failed because he didn't shut the door properly.

Don't worry about her comment, she can't fail you on being nervous or stiff. Dust yourself off and try again. You can do it! Your instructors said so.

Oh man ... My driving test experience was horrible also! I admit, it only took one try for me but I barely (and I mean BARELY) passed.

After the test was over and I had parked back at the DMV lot, the instructor lectured me for about five minutes (raised his voice at me, too!) about how I was being a "danger" to other drivers. Well I couldn't help that he had me back up along a curb into oncoming traffic!! I kept my composure while he was going on, but as soon as he walked away, I burst into tears. I was happy I'd gotten my license, but the guy was seriously a monster. Sitting alone in a car with a 16 year-old girl and yelling at her for five minutes? Not cool.

So anyway, don't be too hard on yourself. But I would advise that you make SURE you are comfortable with driving before you try again. If you truly feel you shouldn't drive after you give it some more practice, then just don't.

Have you ever heard the term, "You are your own worst enemy." I think it applies here. Most people are a bundle of nerves when they take the driving test because they are thinking about how much rides on passing it. I agree with the earlier poster who said to try a different DMV and then practice driving around that neighborhood. It will build your confidence. Good luck to you....

I've never failed a driving test and am a very good driver (perfect driving record for over 30 years) so I can't really relate to any of these stories, but remember, DRIVING IS FUN!!! Just relax and ace that test the next time. Smiling isn't that hard, even if you are shy, fake it. If the test instructor doesn't like you, you're doomed. Just smile next time and give the a big "HI!" Works wonders. Just don't be nervous, please. I'm sure you're a great driver when you are not nervous. Trying a different DMV is also a good idea. If you got that same instructor it would be horrible!!!

Everyone is quite clumsy and nervous the first time. I remember this one guy didn't check the mirror before pulling out, and there was an incoming car. He was failed within 10 seconds. And me, well I remember going on the wrong side of the road. Everyone make silly mistakes. I do agree you should properly greet your tester, it actually calm you down. I just say, "Hello, wow, I'm so nervous, this is my second time, I hope I make it."

I feel like I shouldn't be driving, and if it was up to me I wouldn't be,

I really don't feel confident

^^ I think this says it all. Clearly, if you yourself are not confident and even feel that you shouldn't be driving, then it would probably be best to have a lot more lessons to become fully confident, and THEN take another driving test. If you feel that you shouldn't be driving in the first place, then I don't think it will be easy to pass the driving test. Also, you could become a hazzard to others on the road and obviously your own safety is a huge factor too. I suggest a lot more practice/driving lessons before taking on another test.

^^ I think this says it all. Clearly, if you yourself are not confident and even feel that you shouldn't be driving, then it would probably be best to have a lot more lessons to become fully confident, and THEN take another driving test. If you feel that you shouldn't be driving in the first place, then I don't think it will be easy to pass the driving test. Also, you could become a hazzard to others on the road and obviously your own safety is a huge factor too. I suggest a lot more practice/driving lessons before taking on another test.

I totally agree with this and also going to another DMV. I went to another testing centre in another city than mine because ours had a notoriously bad rep with really RUDE testers. Plus here you pay every time like $75 and you have a longer waiting period between tests. I think they fail people just to make another $75 for the province. I went to a better centre and had no troubles.

Archived