Please Need Help With Being Able to Eat

I have not been able to eat normally since the BU. I try, but can't. My doctor prescribed antidepressants which I'm taking and sleeping tablets which I stopped taking as I was too tired for work. My weight is not at a dangerous level yet, but I've lost around a stone I think. I've now started having heart burn and reflux and started taking antacid for it which is helping. My mouth is feeling gross. I just hate food now. My ex used to buy me lots of chocolates and the thought of eating it makes me sick now. I don't ever want to eat it again in my life.

One of my friends suggested that I buy that Sanitarium Brekky Drink which I have started. Am having a bit of gastro now, also have been having palpitations which I haven't had for many years.

Oh but hey, I will get to fit into a favourite dress I have held onto, As I said, am not dangerously underweight or anything, but now have to be doing things to help myself.

Anyone else had this problem.

Sanitarium Up N Go?

I don't think that's good enough for breakfast.

I had a period a while ago when I just didn't feel like eating anything. I didn't eat lunch AT ALL during this period. (And very little breakfast)

The way I got back to eating again was even if I didn'tfeel hungry, I just bought myself something and ATE. And eventually, you'll develop the habit of eating.

I have spoken with you before, I had some big issues with alcohol. I drank and drank myself into oblivison for a month and all I can say to you is that it is a reaction to the situation. However impossible the situation is, you need to remember the important people in your life and those that truly care for you - and you them. You are not alone missy, you wont ever be alone - dont let this complete a22hole ruin you... You are stronger than what he has done and how he has behaved. Fight through this and it WILL get better, it WILL get easier. You know I speak from experience on this subject. Dont stop coming to this board, there are many people here suffering who rely upon you and me and others to help them through just as we do... Keep fighting. There is a better time ahead. Small steps.

The first month or so after my BU I was so nauseous all time I hardly ate. If I did eat a meal I felt sick afterward. It was like that for a month or two for me as well as extreme anxiety attacks, panic attacks, insomnia, heart palpitations- all of it- so I know how your feeling. I literally felt my heart beating out of my chest so badly at times that I thought I was having a heart attack and nearly called 911. These feelings just left my stomach all messed up. I had NO desire to eat for a long time. You have to force yourself to eat. I know food seems gross to you, just the thought of it is not appealing. Small steps. Try small things. A hard boiled egg in the morning, or a yogurt. Or even those meal replacement shakes. It took me a while to be able to eat real meals (And I was always a big eater, struggled with weight for years and used to have a tendency to over eat, and for the first time in my life the thought of food disgusted me. It was very powerful for me)

You have to force it, as much as you can get down. If you want to talk feel free to PM me

I think you need to go to the root of your problems, which is you need to rediscover life, the taste of life the joy for living... Don t take pills, don t force yourself to eat, but just try to discover every day something nice, something you do it with pleasure, you need to come back to life!!! It is hard, I know, but you have to do this... I don t know, just go out to a restaurant, I always love to see how pleasurable some people find eating, cook for your friends a nice dinner and try to just celebrate that you are alive, that you still can do things you still got things and the rest will come along... After a BU it s hard to heal, it s hard to go on its even harder to really enjoy again everything, but all starts with a decision you make, you decide that it s time to listen and even to sing a new song, it s time to take a walk, it s time to wear a new perfume, it s time to taste something you have never tasted before... But you have to WANT this, you have to want to feel alive again...

I've totally lost my appetite every time I've had a breakup, with a lot of weight loss and the other symptoms you describe - I think a lot of people do. It's difficult to eat when everything tastes like sawdust and it's hard to swallow! Let yourself know that this is just a grief reaction, part of the process of letting go, and will resolve itself in its own time.

Meanwhile, just eat what you can. Plain boiled rice and fruit I've always found good, being light and unlikely to overload you. You're wise to maintain your intake of vitamins and minerals - deficiencies in these will cause their own problems in time - even if you need to take them in supplement or liquid form.

I'd also guess that the palpitations are part of the stress and grieving and will resolve in time, too, but if you're concerned about them, or you have ongoing heart problems you should see a doctor. Even if its only to reassure yourself.

Let yourself know that this is a temporary thing. Also, if you can bear to and it's actually feasible - come off the antidepressants and let yourself grieve properly; that really is the most effective way of letting go of excruciatingly painful experiences. I recall, after the end of an eight year relationship, phoning up a friend to tell her that I'd be spending all day in bed bawling my eyes out and howling - and would it be OK to phone her later!

I understand what you're going through. Lots of people on here will, too. Please come back for support when you need it.

(((HUGS)))

Hey EVERYONE THANKS AND HUGS. I've read and re-reading your posts and will try. Thanks for the offers to post and mail and thanks especially Kev. So far just got those shakes down and the antacid, and it has helped, and hopefully go better tomorrow. Am in bed now.

Do you have any favorite 'comfort' foods you ate when young and didn't feel well? Those can be very reassuring when you are having difficulty eating. One of my favorites is macaroni and cheese which is very soothing to the stomach for stomach acid because it is milk, noodles, and cheese which go easy on the stomach.

How about grilled cheese sandwiches? Also has high calories and easy on the stomach.

Other really good food might be milkshakes or fruit smoothies... easy to drink/digest. Or a nice cream pie like banana cream, coconut cream, lemon meringue or even a creamy pumpkin pie, since pumpkin is soothing and has properties that make it excellent for intestinal distress

Try to go for things with a smooth creamy texture and you can get them down easier.

Dont worry, you are NOT alone here, excuse the bad forum pun. When people go through bad things, anything can happen, some people drink alot, some eat less, some eat more, or eat bad bad things like the terrible inhumanity of chocolate! lol.

Just remember that you will be fine, dont stress yourself out about this. Here in the UK we have this drink called a "neutrashake" im sure there is an equivalent, alot of people drink them, they are like smoothies, but with added bulk nutrition, might be worth going to a health food store and see if u can get something like that, as you have not said that your liquid intake has gone down.

Also try and remember that sometimes these things are linked to our subconcious minds as well, for example, a man leaves his g/f and she subconsiously thinks its because she isnt sexy, so this sort of thing happens because her subconcious is saying that she needs to be slimmer.

Whatever you do dont pressure yourself, but go see a doc if it starts to seriously affect you!

I hope you feel better, and i hope my attempt to say something intellegent was a success lol!

Hey thanks. My stomach feels a little better, but I woke through the night with a headache and still there this morning so took something for it. I seem to have developed a tremor. Going to eat today and do those things. Have to take my dog for a clip and see friend so I will eat when I am out and get some of that drink.

Archived