35 years old. Never married. No kids. Feeling so out of faith and alone

I really think that is how our future will turn out, women freezing their eggs or perhaps guys doing the same with their sperms and have children whenever they are ready. Or no, even that probably wouldn't be needed, as they are creating artificial sperms and eggs from stem cells. This way even two men can have a baby of their own or two women. Pretty cool if you ask me.

OP: In your situation there are a few things that you can do regardless of the age. First you have to be positive and avoid negative thought patterns as it is very easy to get addicted to them! Just try to stop yourself every time a negative saddening thought rushes to your head. Be open to all different kind of opportunities an put yourself out there. Do lots of community/volunteer work that can help you meet new people. If you have to, move to a bigger city where being single in thirties is not an strange thing, you can meet lots of people like yourself that way. Don't be afraid to initiate relationships or connections, this is very important IMO. some of my friends who are successful in dating are always asking people to set them up or constantly make friends with men or women. These are what you can do and you have to leave the rest to luck or whatever you want to name it. However, with being active and putting yourself out there, you diminish the role of luck to a good degree.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You may not have any problems but your kid probably will, especially during puberty, then his/her 20s, which are at risk for being spent wandering/wasting. I haven't read your other posts here so I don't know what your political bent is, but what's the real difference between what you wrote here (that Strangeman is just looking for a breeding partner) and looking at your kid's father as just a sperm donor? It seems you don't need a man, but your kid does, even if you think the opposite is true. Unless of course you grew up without a father and thought it to be no problem.

The real difference here is that I was never looking for a breeder per se and I've never based someone's value on their breeding capabilities. The fact that you would assume otherwise is telling to say the least.

It is apparent that you hate feminism and that is all fine and good. I'm not a huge proponent of it myself for to promote one sex over the other goes against the core concepts of equality and that is what I personally stand for, pollitical affliliations aside. But your posts reek of disdain for the opposite sex; the fact that you yourself have never married nor bred at your age perhaps reveals an overly conservative approach to the most basic of instincts and underlying distrust of women in general.

Right or wrong, I feel that most of what you've written is merely a projection of your own inner fears and your need for control based on a personal history that you failed to report. Do realize that when it comes to control, the person that relinquishes it to you still retains 99% of it. Obviously, you can't give up something that you never had in the first place.

Men and women are equally important in child rearing however I believe that well balanced and well adjusted adults can raise children own their own, alone. Yes, men can be fit single parents as well. No gender holds the monopoly on better parenting.

Batya, I'm not dismissing. I'm also not agreeing (yet). As I've said many times, I support you having the freedom to find success, and I'm glad when an outlier does that successfully. Freeze your eggs all day long, with my blessing.

But do you expect men to glorify your situation as something young women should aspire toward? If so, why?

Also, do you have a husband? If not, it's probably not accurate to say there's no emotional baggage happening. If you don't have it, the kid will, especially if the mother thinks having a man around is utterly redundant.

LOL -I didn't freeze my eggs- my husband and I started trying to conceive when I was almost 41 (we were planning on getting married, started trying before getting married), I got pregnant naturally at age 41 and we've been married almost 2 great years. I wouldn't have had a child on my own because of my moral problem with that. I have written many many times that I don't think my situation was the ideal way to go - not something to aspire to -but on the other hand deciding the clock has run out at age 35 or 40 is simply untrue.

Oh - I mean women shouldn't wait until 41 if they can help it (I waited until I found the right guy and relationship)- but aspire to the situation of a happily married mother who had a long successful career(and hopes to work outside the home again someday) --well, um, sure why not (just start a bit earlier if possible to decrease the emotional stress of pregnancy at age 41)

Oh - I mean women shouldn't wait until 41 if they can help it

With the advances in technology that we have, I don't see what the problem is. It is becoming eaiser and easier for women to conceive and have healthy, normal pregancies well into their 40s. I was just talking with my physician about this last week. She is 47 and her youngest is 3 years old, her oldest is 7.

I'd like to have children, but like Batya I'd like to have them with the right person and in a healthy relationship (I'm 38).

During my 20s and early 30s I never wanted children. They just weren't something I was even remotely interested in. I wasn't out partying constantly, I just had other priorities (travelling, career, hobbies) and I just did not want children.

Now I feel differently. Sure, it may be too late for me to have children and I may not meet someone who wants them in my time frame. But if I'd had children in my late 20s (when I was in a stable relationship with someone who wanted them) - they wouldn't have had a loving upbringing, because I didn't want them.

I think your relationship with yourself, and then your relationship with your partner are the most important things and then children should be a result of that.

With the advances in technology that we have, I don't see what the problem is. It is becoming eaiser and easier for women to conceive and have healthy, normal pregancies well into their 40s. I was just talking with my physician about this last week. She is 47 and her youngest is 3 years old, her oldest is 7.

Well, no, the chances of birth defects are the same as they always have been but if you're willing to have an amnio/CVS (invasive so we did not do this)and willing to abort if there is a problem, those advances hep. Also the non-invasive procedures are far more sophisticated and accurate-blood tests on the mother and non-invasive ultrasounds to figure out whether the chances of a birth defect are less than the typical chances for a woman of that age.The other differences are that it is easier with IVF (or freezing embryos or both) to conceive at a later age.

The real difference here is that I was never looking for a breeder per se and I've never based someone's value on their breeding capabilities. The fact that you would assume otherwise is telling to say the least.

Well, sure, and that's a fair enough observation. Also, you are a woman, and I am a man. That's the other real difference. Men can't bear children and that's also why women can't have it all. Women need men, and shouldn't forget that, no matter how tempting it is to take all these modern reproductive technologies (invented almost entirely by men, btw) and then use them to render men obsolete... even if this is a likely outcome.

Though it might surprise you, I'm not here to present myself as some sort of perfect man, who's here to lecture all you ladies as to what you must do with your lives. I have passion, yes, and skill with words, but that's not worth so much really. It's just a convenient form for me to take here on these boards. Those of you who have spoken up are generally older, have already made your choices, and are living with the consequences. It seems the young women I'm trying to reach are just lurking, reading quietly, and studying what you have to say in response.

As for me, my 20s were confused, wandering, and in some ways wasted and that's why in my 30s I have this burning desire to figure things out and move forward before my 40s. I am humbled by life and I'm glad the Internet is here so I can engage in dialogue with all of you.

Again, I'm not saying a woman's value is solely as a breeding machine. I'm just saying that in order to marry a woman, and commit to her for life, I'm like most men in that I want a family. Otherwise, why marry under the feminist divorce laws? Women are far too capricious to be trusted with that sort of power unless they are properly incentivized and motivated; this requires a lot out of a man and so why should be invest unless he gets something tangible in return? Sex and companionship are not enough, as I can get plenty of both without getting married; after all, there are so many bad or/and unworthy men out there by comparison. And plenty of empowered, enabled women.

Which, of course, helps explain why I don't want my wife to already be middle aged when its time to get started, because of the increased health risks, lower energy levels, and more radical damage to her body with less elasticity available to "snap back" afterwards. There's a lot of life to live after bearing kids, and I'm not one of those people who thinks that the year a woman spends pregnant, in labor, and recovering from labor, entitles her to spend the rest of her life gaining weight and generally making excuses because she's a mom and therefore on a pedestal forever. The older a person is, the harder it will be to not let herself/himself go after childbirth. I must stay in shape too, by the way, and please don't say it's easy for men to do this. We're getting older too, we also have to work hard in this life, etc.

It is apparent that you hate feminism and that is all fine and good. I'm not a huge proponent of it myself for to promote one sex over the other goes against the core concepts of equality and that is what I personally stand for, pollitical affliliations aside. But your posts reek of disdain for the opposite sex; the fact that you yourself have never married nor bred at your age perhaps reveals an overly conservative approach to the most basic of instincts and underlying distrust of women in general.

Hate is never fine and good. Hate is a side effect of unfortunate circumstances; let's get that clear. Feminism was necessary because women could not escape bad men in the old order. I've said this over and over, but those of you impelled to respond keep missing what I will keep repeating. The lurkers, however, who feel like reading carefully - probably because they share my passion for understanding these issues - will see that I have in fact been quite fair and reasonable. And will continue to be.

I do not disdain women. I disdain the choices some women make, in particular, if they make them with the understanding that there is no opportunity cost. Or, to put a finer point on it, if they feel that the damage done to their children in the process, as well as to their men, is perfectly acceptable. Or because they just don't see the big picture and are in effect just being selfish or even sociopathic.

Right or wrong, I feel that most of what you've written is merely a projection of your own inner fears and your need for control based on a personal history that you failed to report. Do realize that when it comes to control, the person that relinquishes it to you still retains 99% of it. Obviously, you can't give up something that you never had in the first place.

What's that little wink about? Are you amused at the thought of the pain I've suffered in my life? Do you take pleasure in hurting others? Is that why you resent what I have to say, about the importance of a positive masculine presence in a child's life? If you have a sincere interest in my personal background, then ask me some thoughtful questions. You might be surprised how forthcoming I can be.

I assure you, I'm not happy to think of what you've suffered. And I agree with what you said. Once you let someone be a permanent fixture in your life, that partner has enormous influence and, yes, control over you. As long as I choose wisely, that's "all fine and good," as you might put it. Hence the importance that she have enough eggs remaining, such that it's all worthwhile as a function of my hopefully-wise choice. (The consequences thereof I must bear, good or ill, because with freedom comes responsibility and opportunity cost.)

Men and women are equally important in child rearing however I believe that well balanced and well adjusted adults can raise children own their own, alone. Yes, men can be fit single parents as well. No gender holds the monopoly on better parenting.

Agreed. It can be done, and under those circumstances it must be done. But neither scenario is optimal for the child, and in fact, either one will be hurtful. We tell ourselves otherwise because it helps us get through the day, but the fact is - all other things equal - a kid needs two parents, one of each gender, in order to have the greatest stability, hope for the future, and positive outcome in general.

She will be approaching 60 while trying to raise multiple teenagers, on top of the extremely busy lifestyle of an MD! I'm not saying it can't be done, but, really - you see no problem here? Are these latch-key kids, or growing up with a nanny? Who's going to make sure they aren't constantly having sex and doing drugs, which is what the TV and their peers indicate is so cool and mature? And what of the men involved? Did she just hit up the sperm bank? This is scary stuff if we try to take it from the realm of the outliers and recast as the new normal...

This seems like the Cult of Moms taking over. Womyns' whyms running wyld. According to some of what I read on these forums, all that matters is the pregnancy, because then the woman achieves her goal. She gains a baby, the ultimate status symbol. There isn't much to be concerned with after that apparently, because now she has what she wants. Why bother submitting to a man in any way? After all, that is nothing but insulting to womyn and fortunately Big Government is here to pay for whatever programs might be desired, again in lieu of a man doing what is most in keeping with his biological imperative.

I again declare this to be sub-optimal, and even hurtful, under the not-so-uncommon circumstances that happen during the trials of life. Meanwhile, 1 out of every 100 babies is placed somewhere on the Autistic spectrum...

Scary stuff! And yet we have women here who just don't see any problem indulging themselves to the fullest. Wow!

I didn't freeze my eggs- my husband and I started trying to conceive when I was almost 41 (we were planning on getting married, started trying before getting married), I got pregnant naturally at age 41 and we've been married almost 2 great years. I wouldn't have had a child on my own because of my moral problem with that. I have written many many times that I don't think my situation was the ideal way to go - not something to aspire to -but on the other hand deciding the clock has run out at age 35 or 40 is simply untrue.

I am sincerely happy for you. And you are right, the clock doesn't run out at 35, or at 40. I'd say the clock is hitting 10pm at 35, and at 40, it is 11:15pm. At midnight she turns into a pumpkin, with certain outliers getting an even later curfew thanks to their especially-robust fertility.

Oh - I mean women shouldn't wait until 41 if they can help it (I waited until I found the right guy and relationship)- but aspire to the situation of a happily married mother who had a long successful career(and hopes to work outside the home again someday) --well, um, sure why not (just start a bit earlier if possible to decrease the emotional stress of pregnancy at age 41)

Well, hmm... I re-read this paragraph several times and conclude you are walking a very fine line. You seem to suggest that women should aspire to have it all. Which is the exact opposite of what is natural, good, and in true partnership with men. Basically, relying on the numbers game to find a man outside the mainstream who will accept these radical approaches to family.

I'm not saying there's no man who would sign up with enthusiasm to marry a woman of 40 and have her first child (especially if he's in his 50s), but I *am* saying that I would urge all men to avoid this scenario and instead either marry a woman in her 20s, or at least get into a serious relationship with her while she's still in her 20s.

I believe that if a young woman wants a "long and successful" career, that should be secondary to actually giving birth. Giving birth is her biological purpose and it should not be subverted by all this modernity and its corrosive, deceptive conveniences. Her adult life should be planned around having kids earlier, not later, and after the kids are born she should feel free to go out into the working world and chase after money and the corner office. I suspect women realize that once they have children, they'll want to spend lots of time with them due to that biological bond between mother and child (which, by the way, men can never obtain or truly appreciate). Hence the desire to have it both ways, have her cake and eat it to; to have it all.

Women who insist on having it all are being selfish. They are not sharing with their men, and they are taking away from their childrens' reserve of balance and essential well-adjustment. Such women won't always be there to tell them how awful men are, how perfect their child is in every way, etc. Children need what only their father can give them, and that means the woman must *choose* to submit to her man in SOME ways. In particular, whatever it is that allows her to have children earlier rather than later, in full partnership with her man.

Rather than pumping their kids full of the same empty self-esteem that has made the younger generation today so deeply useless, confused, and susceptible to the advertising/marketing war machine.

Actually, no, I waited until I found the right guy and the right relationship for me and for the best interests of future children we might have or adopt Along the way I completed graduate school and fulfilled my career related dream but that wasn't why I waited - I would have been thrilled to get married and have a family earlier and I believe I gave it more than my best shot. But to imagine it having turned out differently (i.e. different husband or family) is in hindsight unacceptable- I'm happy and fulfilled so it would be silly to have regrets now, and I don't. I also plan to return to working outside the home. So, sure, if a woman finds the right match earlier than I did and wants to try to have a child earlier, more power to her- good for her!

Your comments on my post were such a twisting of what I wrote that I can only assume you have some self-created agenda to fulfil here-but please don't twist my words beyond recognition to do so. Thanks.

Ugh, what a depressing thread this turned into. So strangeman has again confirmed for me and all women that YOUTH and BEAUTY and NUBILITY is what men value in women, which means all of us single gals over 25 are relegated to only date men 10-40 years older than us. So I'm a young looking 49 - I guess my age range for prospective male partners is 60-85? Look out all you octogenerians, here I come!

Based on my last relationship and I hope not all men are like this, I have to admit that strangeman is correct, good looking guys my age (like my ex) mostly want younger women, and think they are entitled to younger women. My ex lies about his age on internet sites to meet women 7-15 years younger, and oh, by the way he doesn't want children.

You are welcome and my every post already conforms with your request. Your posts are short and not detailed, so you leave much room for interpretation. You need to develop your thoughts more completely if you'd rather I not fill the many holes you leave outstanding.

Meanwhile, my agenda is clear. If you read to understand, rather than to generate ever-more ammunition in your battle against male stereotypes, you'd know what my agenda is because I've repeated it over and over. For all who still have the chance to read - and heed.

That said, once again, I am happy for you. I wish you, your husband, and your children all the best.

I can find nothing to disagree with here. You recognize that your priorities were different and as a result, any children you'd have had when you were younger would have suffered. All I can add is that your story is most properly seen as a cautionary one for young women everywhere. I'd urge young women who cannot fathom starting a family to enter therapy and learn to understand why this is well before age 30.

Ladies, there are always exceptions....love and a contented life can occur at any age.

My sister just got married at 58, to a man who is 54. She at 58, is in much better physical shape than he is. He has been married 3 times, has grown children and is actually a grandfather. She is divorced but never had children.

She did not really want to get married, he was the one pushing for it (apparently he likes to get married). I think this is it for both of them, they seem truly in love after 12 years and very well matched.

After reading your posts in this tread, here are my thoughts:

You wasted away your 20s as you have stated at least twice and now you are in your 30s and you are feeling the pain. There is some resentment towards career women in general as a result of your mother, and that is understandable. But now that you realize as you are getting older that you want children, you are feeling your regrets. Lets face it, it is not as easy as you think it is to marry a young woman these days and turn her into a baby making machine just because you are closer to ready now. You are less desireable to the majority of women that you would like to date and marry because those women are not interested in dating and marrying you right now because they are having too much fun with life as they should be.

Beyond that, you are waaaaaaaaaaay overthinking and over analysing all of this. The majority of NORMAL men and women do not think like you do, they meet someone, fall in love and work out the details later. You've obviously never been in love, you know the kind that is not based on kinds of crazy conditions?

Anyway as I stated, you are projecting. The world is not as you think it is, men are valued and are not becoming obsolute and women are not evil men haters whose one goal in life is to concieve a child at any cost. You are much to defensive to begin with. No one is amused at your pain or anything such as that. And why you are here posting all of this on a forum dedicated to people helping peope heal from breakups is way beyond me. I figured it was the opening line, 35 and no kids, where you saw an easy target...

You have a huge chip on your shoulder, HUGE strangeman. My apologies to the OP. I hope that you have the support that you need.

To give hope to you ladies here, every woman in my family who didn't care about protection got pregnant and had healthy children in their late thirties and early forties. If you are an older women and want a child, it is also helpful to conceive with a younger man/man around your age since it's a lot harder to do with older ones.

Ugh, what a depressing thread this turned into. So strangeman has again confirmed for me and all women that YOUTH and BEAUTY and NUBILITY is what men value in women, which means all of us single gals over 25 are relegated to only date men 10-40 years older than us. So I'm a young looking 49 - I guess my age range for prospective male partners is 60-85? Look out all you octogenerians, here I come!

Based on my last relationship and I hope not all men are like this, I have to admit that strangeman is correct, good looking guys my age (like my ex) mostly want younger women, and think they are entitled to younger women. My ex lies about his age on internet sites to meet women 7-15 years younger, and oh, by the way he doesn't want children.

Strangeman is not correct. All he is has confirmed is that youth, beauty, and nubility is what HE values. Sure there are a lot of men like him but guess what? I gift to them the golddigging, cold and heartless prostitutes of the world...

My ex told me specifically that he was not interested in dating any woman that is not close to his own age. My current BF is five years older than me but he also was not interested in dating anyone that was much younger. It's about having something in common.

Let's say you look 45, are reasonably thin / or have a pretty face / or large breasts / two out of three. Then you can attract men in the 50-65 range. If you have all three? Then you have a better chance of getting a man in his 40s. I.e. based on what I consider to be fairly mainstream reasoning given the male stereotype.

But, an 80 year old grandpa? No way, that's twice your age and past the average life expectancy! That's far too extreme an interpretation of my view, and your situation can't be that bad. No way. Are you looking to get married, or are you mainly wanting to have fun and enjoy life?

I'd say that if a woman really wants a man her age or younger, she has the best chance if she is under 25 herself. The older she is past 25, then the men who will desire her most will be increasingly older than her. Subject to certain limits and modifiers, whatever those may be, which are unique to the individuals involved. And therefore not the sort of thing that can be considered a general rule which women can bank upon.

Anyway, let me try and explain your ex's behavior from the point of view of a male stereotype. Men know they are aging, and they are afraid to some degree. A younger woman makes them feel younger, regardless if he doesn't want kids. Maybe at his age he's already had them, which certainly takes the pressure off. At this point his ideal woman doesn't want kids because they'd just be an additional burden to him given the child support + alimony he's already paying.

Another important factor is social status. Just like a baby is a crucial status symbol for women, a younger woman says a lot about a man. It says there is something pretty darn special about him, because he's able to attract and presumably keep her around. Now what could that be? Maybe it's money. Maybe he's got a big johnson. He may be a genius, or at least, relatively speaking. Perhaps even all of the above. That's the magical thing about male status, and it's a matter of male psychology that should be understood by women. Men want other men to wonder what makes him so special; women, on the other hand, realize instinctively that he *is* special, and that if he were suddenly available to them they would probably be interested because the presence of this younger woman has pre-qualified him in their eyes. Such women may not even understand why they suddenly find him more desirable in this context.

So; to recap, if two women have an equally pretty face and in-shape body, the younger woman is generally hotter because she is younger and more nubile. That's why she raises his alpha-male status by being on his arm. Which gives men a serious thrill, and since men are simple creatures, women should really try to understand why this is so important to men. If he's not out to start a family with you, and he is willing to be seen with you in public, then you are raising his social status by being with him.

Strangeman is not correct. All he is has confirmed is that youth, beauty, and nubility is what HE values. Sure there are a lot of men like him but guess what? I gift to them the golddigging, cold and heartless prostitutes of the world...

My ex told me specifically that he was not interested in dating any woman that is not close to his own age. My current BF is five years older than me but he also was not interested in dating anyone that was much younger. It's about having something in common.

Your BF and I have a lot in common, it seems. You are five years younger than him! Mine is seven years younger. Not so different.

OK, strangeman - got it. MY ex is just one guy, a VERY good looking guy so HE despite being 51, is going to try to date women in their 30's for the exact reasons that you mention. It's about his EGO. The thing is, maybe I'm different, but when I was in my 30's I wanted to date guys in their 30's. I had NO interest in guys over 50, even if they were good looking. They were just too darn old. I mean really, women can do the math....what do women get out of being with a much older man? Unless she is a gold digger or needs a daddy figure? She doesn't get much. On average, women live 6-7 years longer than men....

So I'm 49....can pass for 40....45 on really bad days....I guess I still have to look for a hot 60 year old, right?

Can't wait for uncomfynumb to weigh in on this one!

Bottom line, life isn't fair and let's face it, there's a reason for the saying "it's a man's world". Until they get a bunch of aging actors to go on Oprah and talk about how hard it is to age in this culture, it will continue to be. We won't see that though, because men are allowed to age naturally and women are not. Men are allowed to enjoy their full humanity, their natural life span and women are not.

It's really, really sad that women are made to feel badly about themselves and to be made to feel that after their peak fertility is over, that their worth is pretty much done. A culture where women are valued for their youth and beauty and made to feel like rubbish when that youth and beauty fades, as it always does if we are lucky and don't die when we are 35. And it's not getting better, it is getting worse. Thus the explosion of plastic surgery, Botox, all kinds of procedures, anti-aging this and that.

So all you gals in your 30's, enjoy your youth as it will go away and someday you'll be looking at 50. Trust me, it doesn't get any easier as the culture constantly tells you how awful you look, no man will want you, you can't dress this way, you have to dress that way, don't do your hair like that, etc....use this $200 wrinkle cream....one has to look within for validation as you certainly will not get it from the anti-aging culture of 2010.

Your BF and I have a lot in common, it seems. You are five years younger than him! Mine is seven years younger. Not so different.

5 to 7 years is not a huge age gap and the older you get, the less significant it seems. Futhermore, the only children we want are grandchildren. My BF is not so shallow and if he read this thread and he might, he would think your ideas and general attitude absurd.

Archived