College freaking me out/making me depressed. Help!

Rose21

A lot of times when I did have my old job I went to school 10-11, went to work like 2-10. How much time does that really leave me to study?

It really just depends, and work REALLY cuts into my time.

But the semester has 3 weeks left, and I NEED a job, I have bills and I owe $1100.

NAP? TV? Relax? during the day? What is this a nursing home schedule during the day? You're a student not nonna!

If you are serious about having a career I suggest you pull your weight and stop playing around. A manager will not give you NAP, TV and relaxing time! You can't afford to nap watch TV or relax between 08:00-19:00!

Rose, it really seems everyone's advice on this forum has gone to deaf ears! You don't take any advice people give you, you make excuses or everything and I really can't understand what is it you spend your time on.

That example of your work day 14:00-22:00 is ridiculous. You should be home by 18:00 in order to have dinner and study!

It is really infuriating that you complain, complain, complain, people give advice, want to help you, yet it's pointless. We're just wasting our time.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow.......when I went to university in one semester I had 9 classes and 3 jobs...I slept 2 hours a day for 6 months. If I was not working I was studying or in class. TV, friends, and almost my fiance did not exist. If you want to succeed you have to put the time in. If you can work and get good grades then you can not work and you can not model if it takes time away from your school work. That is just the way it goes. Some people can work and do school at the same time and some can not. If you can not, you can not.

Wow.......when I went to university in one semester I had 9 classes and 3 jobs...I slept 2 hours a day for 6 months. If I was not working I was studying or in class. TV, friends, and almost my fiance did not exist. If you want to succeed you have to put the time in. If you can work and get good grades then you can not work and you can not model if it takes time away from your school work. That is just the way it goes. Some people can work and do school at the same time and some can not. If you can not, you can not.

This just shows you how much is possible with determination and good time management, Rose. You don't have to work three jobs, of course, and getting 2 hours of sleep isn't healthy... but if this can be done, getting good grades with a near full-time job is also possible.

This just shows you how much is possible with determination and good time management, Rose. You don't have to work three jobs, of course, and getting 2 hours of sleep isn't healthy... but if this can be done, getting good grades with a near full-time job is also possible.

To add to that I was also in an honours degree and was on the Deans List.

Rose if you are serious about working for the FBI you really need to up your game and study hard and pass WELL. There's going to be a lot of competition and they're not going to be taking on people who have mediore grades and don't show dedication to work, and they will judge your dedication to work on your performance at college.

You are spending far too much time on work and lesiure activities to have the time you need to study and pass well and need to really rework your schedule. Otherwise you will fail your degree, or barely pass and will not be considered for the job you want. Harsh reality.

Rose if you are serious about working for the FBI you really need to up your game and study hard and pass WELL. There's going to be a lot of competition and they're not going to be taking on people who have mediocre grades and don't show dedication to work, and they will judge your dedication to work on your performance at college.

You are spending far too much time on work and leisure activities to have the time you need to study and pass well and need to really rework your schedule. Otherwise you will fail your degree, or barely pass and will not be considered for the job you want. Harsh reality.

This is true, also for everywhere NO ONE wants mediocre. The days of mediocre I will work where my daddy worked days are over. You have to be competitive and you have to do well. Rose, my son is learning disabled as well and while he may be in grade school his lowest grade is a 68. I do not let him get away with mediocre even though he is learning disabled. He does not see himself as learning disabled and he does not want people to treat him as disabled. He works his very hardest no matter what. I have always told him "I do not care how much a dunderhead a teacher is, they passed the course already, you have not. This is about YOU. YOU need to pass, not me, not the teacher, YOU.Do not whine to me, do not be lazy and always try your best. If you have given your best and you still need help I will ALWAYS support and help you." I think you have had a very comfy going so far Rose, I do not know if excuses were made for you or not, but it did you no favours. Being disabled is not an excuse it means you have to work harder and smarter and find more ways to cope.

You said your son's lowest grade was a 68. That's a D.

That's pretty much how it is for me now.

Didn't you say you were failing a class?

There is a lot of truth to what Pinnsvini said. The FBI will be a tough job to get. Poor grades, at the community college level, no less, will not get you a job there. If you really care about working for the FBI, you will put school as a priority, even if that means taking out loans, cutting out friend time, lowering your expenses, etc.

You said your son's lowest grade was a 68. That's a D.

That's pretty much how it is for me now.

is that really all you got out of what she just wrote...are you really taking in what people are saying to you or just selecting what you want to see....the grade is not the pt....the pt is her son gives it his very best every time 110 percent...he is 12...he doesnt use excuses..in college if you give 110 percent, then you move on to a tutor who can help you pull your grade up a little..thats the pt of a tutor...like i said before...take advantage of your free help from school...its there...i needed help...i used it...before you use anothe excuse you need to ask yourself if you really have done everything possible to fix the situation..i feel like im repeating myself over and over

is that really all you got out of what she just wrote...are you really taking in what people are saying to you or just selecting what you want to see....the grade is not the pt....the pt is her son gives it his very best every time 110 percent...he is 12...he doesnt use excuses..in college if you give 110 percent, then you move on to a tutor who can help you pull your grade up a little..thats the pt of a tutor...like i said before...take advantage of your free help from school...its there...i needed help...i used it...before you use anothe excuse you need to ask yourself if you really have done everything possible to fix the situation..i feel like im repeating myself over and over

Thank goodness someone understood me........lol

Oh okay. Yeah I'm failing math.

Victoria, when I was in Elementry and middle school it was still the same scale for grades.

I am really pushing my butt to get the grades though.

I signed my life away yesterday and left very little time for myself, spent 10 hrs on my research report and when it was supposed to be 5 pages, mine was 10.

But I told myself that if I got it knocked out yesterday I could go out with a friend tonight to get ice cream.

I told my mom and boyfriend about the minimum 30 hrs a week thing for studying, and they said that was absolutly insane.

My boyfriend goes to Texas Tech as an ENGENEERiNG MaJOR and his classes are extremly hard, especially for a university level. And he's taking 5 classes, with no job, and he puts in 20 hrs and manages to stay on the Dean's List EVERY semester.

He doesn't fool around, and I admire his dedication, and he never puts in 30 hrs a week.

Some people just don't work well under that many hrs of studying.

I get down to it when I know I need to. I can't just set a study time every day and set the clock and say "2 hrs...Go!" I would get nothing done, some people just arn't like that.

When I leave things to the last minute and procrastinate, that is actually when I get the best grades sometimes.

oh yeah by the way..being a criminal Justice and Law major,and taken some police tests as well as tested for state troopers..you think school is hard lol wait til you test for these jobs...its crazy and they love hearing excuses..gives them many reasons not to hire you...

they do all kinds of tests on you...just letting you know this doesnt not get easier one bit..it getting harder..alot harder

And that is why I am re-taking this math class in the summer.

I told myself I would NEVER take a summer course, but you know what? I'm going to stuck it up and do it because I need to pass and get this over with.

My boyfriend is going to be here all summer, and he is an EXCELLENT tutor, although helping over the phone doesn't help a whole lot.

So it's one semester for 5 weeks and I'm taking one on campus math class and Govt online.

And he is going to be there everyday helping me through it to make SURE I pass, I know summer is his time to work and he will work a lot, because he doesn't work while he is there, but I told him I'd even pay him a little, but I NEED his help and I'm GOING to pass this class.

Victoria, are you talking about my school?

For my school, high school, middle school, and elementry, it was always:

59 and below=F.

60-69=D.

70-79=C

80-89-B

90-100-A

And in my math class ANYTHING below a 70, is F.

NAP? TV? Relax? during the day? What is this a nursing home schedule during the day? You're a student not nonna!

If you are serious about having a career I suggest you pull your weight and stop playing around. A manager will not give you NAP, TV and relaxing time! You can't afford to nap watch TV or relax between 08:00-19:00!

Rose, it really seems everyone's advice on this forum has gone to deaf ears! You don't take any advice people give you, you make excuses or everything and I really can't understand what is it you spend your time on.

That example of your work day 14:00-22:00 is ridiculous. You should be home by 18:00 in order to have dinner and study!

It is really infuriating that you complain, complain, complain, people give advice, want to help you, yet it's pointless. We're just wasting our time.

I agree with this post. It's incredibly frustrating when someone starts threads, asking advice, receives aLOT of really good advice where many people have taken a lot of time and effort, and it ALL falls on deaf ears. None of the advice is ever taken - in fact it seems as if you hardly read anything and enjoy keeping the thread running by coming up with more excuses just to get more replies. It's almost a case of attention seeking, rather than a genuine problem.

Soon, there will be less people replying in this threads because, like petite says, we are all wasting our time.

rose, there are people who say "I can't" or "I don't work that way" or "No one else (mom and bf) think you're right so I'm not going to listen to you." Do they graduate? Maybe? Are they the first pick in the one job they want? Unlikely.

Then there are people who say "Really? I need to study that much? I need to ditch the nap? I need to only watch 1 hour of tv a day? I need to see friends only twice a week because I'm studying?...Well, ok, I guess I'll FIND A WAY."

THOSE people graduate. THOSE people are the first ones called for the interview. Employers really DO look at your GPA and courses taken.

It may sound like 3 more years of torture, but honestly, you've got another 40-50 years of working life ahead of you. You can either bust your butt now and get your dream job and be happy the rest of your life...or you can make sure you have nap time and tv time and ice cream time, and settle for the slow track in life...cos that's what you'll end up getting.

I realize you have learning issues. But so did Einstein.

Deal with it.

2 more years left.

My boyfriend is half way through, and my mom got her BA with great grades and got her first choice job.

I have already established I am going to work harder.

I'm just trying to say that everyone has different learning styles.

2 more years left.

My boyfriend is half way through, and my mom got her BA with great grades and got her first choice job.

That's great that you're going to work harder. What are some specifics that you have decided on that will help you to get better grades? Have you decided how many hours a week you will study and how that will fit in with working? Are you going to try to work a little less? Schedule your time more specifically?

I think that nailing down the specifics will really help you carry out your plan to work harder, not just for three more weeks or for the summer but for the rest of you time at college.

How are you going to work harder? Are you going to spend less time napping and watching TV and eating ice cream in order to study and get more than just a C in your classes? Are you going to have a schedule which prioritises college work and studying?

Your mom did well, but that doesn't mean you will; people aren't the same. With sub-par grades and little dedication employers aren't going to choose you over a clearly more dedicated candidate. The FBI, even doing paperwork isn't going to be easy to get into. They will be wanting top-notch people and that needs to reflect in your grades.

I agree with previous posters who have said you totally seem to ignore advice and continue on a thread, perhaps because you enjoy the drama of it? I honestly don't know. If your mum and boyfriend's advice and ways are best, why even ask us? If recommended study hours are 'insane' then why make a thread asking for advice if you're just going to disagree?

I do hope for your sake you do step it up a bit, I don't think you realise how serious college is as far as your future goes and your 'dream job'. It really needs to be a higher priority than icecream with friends.

2 more years left.

Yes and as a result, some have to study smarter, longer, and harder.

The schedule that you mentioned killed me. A two hour nap in the afternoon?

I worked full time and went to school part time for four years to get a two year degree.

My days looked like this

Monday: Up at 7:30 to be at school by 9am. Class until 10. Then I had a 20 minute drive to work and I had to be there at noon. I used this time to eat and study or run errands. I did not get out of work until 10 and then I had almost an hour's drive home, which meant home by 11. If I could not study before work, or during my lunch, this would be the first time of the day I could study. I usually spent 15-20 minutes relaxing and chatting with Mom, and then I would buckle down to homework until 2 and try and be in bed by at least 3 or 4 if there was a lot to do. Plus I had to plan and prepare meals and snacks for the next day because with being out of the house for so many hours I could not afford to eat out all the time.

Tuesday: Classes started later and during the last semester my first class was at noon. I used this time to study. I would sleep in until 8:30 and be up and studying and getting ready for the day. I was usually out of the house by 11 and on to class at noon. If I had more homework than usual, I would leave the house by nine and be at the school and studying by 10. Then it was on to work straight after class, no breaks, and I would work until 10 pm. Then it was home to do more homework and try and be in bed by 3.

Wednesday: Repeat Monday

Thursday: Repeat Tuesday

Friday: This was my day off from work. I would be up by 7:30 to be in class by 9, then after class was out I would be at the school doing homework until at least noon. Then it was home for lunch and to run any necessary errands.

Friday nights once a month, sometimes not, I would have symphony tickets. If no tickets, then it was dinner and studying and resting and later in the semester after I met my bf talking with him.

Saturdays: I would sleep in until 9ish if there wasnt a lot to do, up earlier if there was, and be at school by the latest at 11:00am and then work until at 4 when the labs closed. Then it was home, supper, and then I spent Saturday nights getting ready for the week ahead with laundry and meal planning for the week ahead. I would also spend time talking with the bf

Sundays: Sunday morning I would be up 8-9 and spend some time with Mom and be on the road to work by noon and work until 10. When I got home I would do whatever studying needed to be done and try and be in bed by 2.

This schedule varied for a long time, but for the most part I had 14 and 17 hour days for 4 years. Using my time wisely, I made only one B and had straight A's otherwise.

As you can see there was very little time for friends or for "having a life". Going by this schedule I spent 25 or so hours studying. That is not including the time I spent studying during my hour dinner breaks at work, and not when there was extreme studying.

If you want to be successful, you have to put your education first. I cant tell you how many vacations I did not go on. I spent EVERY summer in summer school, and all but one taking a full load. Family came second a lot. Unless there was a death, school was it. I did take breaks when I studied, but they werent long ones. Time with the bf was very limited to start as we are in an LDR, but if I had homework, that had to come first. There was no choice. Friends fell a distant third.

The good part of that schedule is that it is not for forever. I believe you said you were postponing modeling. If you decide that you are going to it this summer and you are planning on taking summer courses, you had better think about that. Summer classes are harder because you have to cram more in. There will be zero time for modeling if you want to do well. I am not trying to be mean, but that is the truth. If you think a regular semster is hard, summer is a lot harder. Plus you said you were taking an online course. You have to be really disciplined with those. My last summer in school, I took one online course. I had planned to help an aunt move to TX that summer and we were down there for quite a few days. While I was on that vacation, there were nights I was up until 1 and 4 am trying to get my school work done so that I didnt have to do it during the day. Was it fun? Heck no. Plus I was battling bronchitis and taking meds and was in general just really ill during that time. But it was what I had to do to get a good grade.

If this is really what you want to do, you will make it work. You wanted to model so you found time for it, if the FBI is really what you want, then you need to find time to make the schedule to be successful in school. This is only community college, if you do not get good habits established here, when you get to more advanced courses, it will only get harder.

Archived