College freaking me out/making me depressed. Help!

Rose21

Well I know I'm not going to be modeling much, deffinatly not until school is over with.

I can wake up earlier and go to bed earlier.

Today, I went to my HS To get my mods and they said it should be ready by Mon so that should help out a lot!

I also called the career center I went to during HS and got my classes transfered over to my college which resulted in 6 full credits!!!!

That's great!!! Make sure to keep on top of things and ask career centers questions because you never know what you may be able to do. 6 credits is awesome!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know! I was suprised.

Who knew some classes I took in HS would help me that much??

6 is great, that's the equivilent to 2 FULL college classes, I was thinking at most 3 is what I'd get. Maybe 4.

Tomorrow I am going to talk to the dean because my mom is OUTRAGED and she's right that because I have 504 paperwork and have disabilities/modifications, I am protected by the LAW. And I brought stuff to the access center at my school and they said it wasn't enough when it's illegal to refuse help to a student with those conditions, and that suspension should of never happened and they should let me drop it with out having my other classes dropped.

I have had my rights violated and I wont stand for it!

You need to have a balanced pattern and prioritize some things. You said you're stopping modeling until the summer. That's a first step.

I recommend you do what I did while at University and what my sisters do. Make a weekly Timetable and allocate time to different things in your life. Go to bed at a certain time and wake up at a certain time.

I just found one of my Timetables that I gave as an example to my youngest sister and I'll post it on here so you can do a similar thing. I think it will help you. My timetable changed weekly, sometimes I studied more hours, worked less and other times I substituted free time for study. Many times I studied until 1-2am if I worked on that particular day. You need to figure out what is best for you and make sure you change your timetable every week!

You really need to make your school a priority above anything else.

Good luck.

Well I prob will make a time table of some sort, but I hope everything works out with the dean.

Like this is serious, by refusing and making it so difficult for my mods, they could look at lawsuits etc. I am PROTECTED by law. My mom even wrote a letter to him, it's really powerful and she is a teacher and at her school if a parent said she didn't give mods to a student, she'd be fired in a heart beat.

Therefore, that suspension deal should of never been there, and they need to let me drop the class without my others going. If they hadn't been so damn picky about the mods in the first place,than I wouldn't be in this situation!

Technically, I should be getting my money back for 3 wasted classes too, but I'll just try for the one for THIS semester.

That is a lot of work out/yoga time!

I noticed you didn't have any "friend" time. Did you hang with friends at all??

I will prob transfer after the summer even if it is just one semester left. I have NEVER heard of another college making you take THREE remidial classes until you get the one that gives you credit. Usually, it's just ONE and than take the college credit.

I mean, has anyone heard of that??

And that, because it's "remidial" if you drop it or get dropped it drops your WHOLE schedule even though it has NOTHING to do with math. Unbelievable.

Well I prob will make a time table of some sort, but I hope everything works out with the dean.

That is a lot of work out/yoga time!

I noticed you didn't have any "friend" time. Did you hang with friends at all??

That might be a lot of exercise & Yoga time for you, but for me health was always important. I need to be healthy before anything else. Being fit and mentally/physically healthy has always been something I strive for.

My FREE TIME was my friends or boyfriend/dating time. Lunch was also considered free time because I got to have lunch with my friends/colleague/family who ever I had "booked in" that particular day.

I prioritized my school because it certainly was more important than anything else apart from my health. Any real friends would understand that your study time is mandatory. After all, you need to think about your future, just as your friends & family think about theirs.

Well yeah that's what I mean.

I usually do lunch dates with friends anyways.

Health is very important, and so is staying in shape. Actually, I get a bit obsessed with being skinny, getting skinner etc.

But I don't have the money for a gym membership, although that would be nice, my old house had a free community center.

So I just do work outs at home when I can, usually not more than twice a week because I just don't have time.

I jog when it's not hot, and I live on the lake so I'm always hiking down to it and walking on the trails etc. Take my doggie.

And when it gets warmer, I can use my pool!=)

You don't need to be a gym member to exercise. Absolutely it's always good to have access to certain equipment, but you can buy basic stuff and exercise daily at home.

I never believe people who say they don't have time, because I know time can be made if the person is willing. I would only cut slack to a mother who has 4 kids, no husband, works 10 hrs a day, otherwise, it certainly can be done.

One of my friends has 2 kids and works full time. She always makes sure to exercises every day. Her husband exercises when she is done or they do it after the kids have gone to bed. My brother and sister in law have 3 kids and they too make sure to exercise daily. If they aren't healthy they aren't worth anything to their kids. They also work full time jobs and still manage.

Everyone can find an hour in their day to exercise. Cut out TV/Friend/Internet/Morning sleeping in time and there is your 1 hr for exercise.

I run regardless if it is cold/hot.

Your priority really needs to be health & school.

Hi Rose21. I am a college student also. I will be getting my degree this year, even though the rest of my life sucks. I can tell right off the bat that you took too many classes for your stress level. I work full time, and I can only take 10 units maximum a semester.

I am driven to ask you this: What is more important, your grade average and hurrying up and graduating, or actually educating yourself and enjoying yourself while you are at it? This reminds me of the American Idol people who want the glory of being a famous singer before learning how to sing.

My favorite professor recently told me that what I learn is more important than what grade I get. We ARE paying college for wisdom and knowledge, right? Or do you just want a piece of paper saying you rushed through it, and you didn't really learn anything?

Whoever told you that "I'd be a total loser, worthless and an un-educated bum" is wrong. That is an untruthful, offensive statement. I know quite a few worthless losers who HAVE a degree. Let me guess - it was your parents who fed you that lie. Most of our beliefs and self-punishment is learned from our parents. I know plenty of people who didn't go to college who are not any of those things. However, those thoughts have apparently sabotaged your entire college career.

Take it easy, woman. You are smart, pretty, and young. Relax, take a short break, and take only about 6 units next time. I am so proud of you for getting back up on that horse! This time around, try to enjoy yourself, and prove to your college that you will not hurt yourself the second time around. Good luck !!!

Like this is serious, by refusing and making it so difficult for my mods, they could look at lawsuits etc. I am PROTECTED by law. My mom even wrote a letter to him, it's really powerful and she is a teacher and at her school if a parent said she didn't give mods to a student, she'd be fired in a heart beat.

Just remember, Rose, if you actually didn't bring the correct paperwork in, it might not be their fault. I don't know what the required paperwork is or what you brought in, so I'm not saying you did bring the wrong paperwork in. But the people working at the center have to follow the rules, and the rules are there for a reason. They need to require very specific paperwork so that those who don't need the help don't take advantage of it.

If you brought insufficient paperwork in, they cannot help you, because they, for all they know, could be helping someone who doesn't need it. If they told you that you didn't have sufficient paperwork, it was your responsibility to find out what paperwork was and bring them the right stuff. Then they would have helped you.

College is different than high school... high school is about getting your hand held by teachers so you graduate no matter what. College is taking responsibility to get the things done that need to be done, whether that be homework, studying, or getting the learning disability paperwork in so you can get the help you need.

Technically, I do just need ONE math class. But it is a college level and because I didn't test high enough I have to PAY to take THREE remidial classes that give me no credit before I can take the ONE that I need that does give me credit.

So my major only requires one math. Yet because I'm so bad at it that one math class has turned into 4, plus the amount I have to take each, or any of the ones I need to take over??

How is that fair?!

It's fair because it is you who is not passing the tests. Sorry, but that's life. Everyone has to meet the same requirements; they're not singling you out - you're missing classes and you're failing tests.

My D19 has to take remedial this summer at community college, and test back at her university in August to get to take the required math. She doesn't like it, but she accepts that it's her issue with math that causes it, not the school.

What to do? If I were you, I would go to the counselor and ask them to help you find a tutor. Borrow the money however you can to pay for it, but get that tutor! Five days a week, if you have to, to get a handle on that math, so you can pass.

Sometimes you just have to dig in and give up everything else to get this one thing done. Sounds like this will be you for the next few weeks.

Rose, I'll make the same comment that I've made before, and you can tell me whether or not there's been an update in this area. If you have dyscalculia, and I mean really have it rather than just a lack of aptitude for math, then get diagnosed, and that will open up a whole bunch of new possibilities in regard to lenient treatment on the math requirements. Colleges have a legal obligation to make provision for disabilities, and dyscalculia is a disability. If you're suffering from that and finding your overall progress is being blocked because of it, it's time to do something about it, and getting it certified is the first step.

For any remaining math requirements, I second turnera's suggestion: get a math tutor. You would clearly benefit from this, and many graduate students will do it quite cheaply and effectively.

This doesn't need to become the disaster that you're constantly flirting with, and if you're serious about becoming a criminologist, and even the FBI career that you talk about, then this is a good opportunity to show that you can take the necessary action to remove a roadblock when it's put in front of you.

I am getting my paper work today.

It wasn't OFFICIALLY documented that I have dyscaculia but I AM protected under 504 for my ADHD, which is a disability that affects daily activity/learning.

Plus I underwent evaluation and they said I deffinatly had another LD regarding to math, they specified Dyscaculia.

So in addition to getting mods in HS I also had to take a SPECIAL math class.

I don't know if it was the RIGHT paper work I showed, but it was my whole psych evaulation showing I needed desperate help. Just flunking that many times would prove it.

I've been ADHD ever since I've been able to walk, and always had problems in school.

I don't find it hard to focus, I find it that my math is crippling me,.

First, I suggest that you eliminate all of the names and other sensitive information out of your last post.

Second, I understand that you are entitled to some lenience due to your learning disabilities, but I've read through this entire thread and I'm having a hard time coming up with why it is your college's fault that you are failing this math class. It sounds like you did try to get help, but brought the incorrect paperwork, which is something that you, not they, need to fix. I've read through some of your previous threads on your struggles with college and I agree with a lot of the suggestions that others have given you. You need to stop the modeling, cut your hours back, and certainly cut your number of classes back.

I think it's great that your mom wants to stand up for you, but I would be aware that the chances of a dean reinstating you based on the one attempt that you made for help are very slim. I don't think, based on what I've read in these and your other threads, that you have made nearly enough attempts and invested enough time in order to be made a special case by the dean due to your disabilities. If you are serious about passing these classes, you need to be investing time in studying and finding tutors, either through the school or elsewhere, and you need to get serious about passing.

I understand that you feel your rights were violated and you are focusing your energy on that, but I have not seen the changes you have made (not plan to) to bring your grades up in your other classes.

I am not trying to pick on you, I just dont want you to get caught up with the one issue and then in a week or so when things have died down more find that this week "flew by".

No, of course I am working to bring up my grades in my other classes! I have devoted this whole weekend to studying, also because i have a 5 page paper due Sunday at midnight

But I am just asking for my suspension to be revoked and to be able to drop math to save my GPA and my other classes!

I will actually make a schedule just like this for me. And add lunch slots to a few days with people. If I could not arrange someone for a day I have it scheduled I will go to the library and get some stuff done (printing, finding books etc) and meet the first interesting person I come accross that day if any. Sounds like a plan?

Rose did you make one of these? Why don't you make one and post it?

Because I still don't know if I got the job I applied for yet, and I need to know that because it will change weekly.

I don't stick well with schedules, it would just be a waste. I don't like living on a schedule, I like to be in charge of when I do things and when I don't.

I can however set a specific study time each day depending on what I have planned.

I could make a schedule for THAT, but as far as planning everything else? I'm not that kind of person. I have everything down in my mind.

Because I still don't know if I got the job I applied for yet, and I need to know that because it will change weekly.

I don't stick well with schedules, it would just be a waste. I don't like living on a schedule, I like to be in charge of when I do things and when I don't.

I can however set a specific study time each day depending on what I have planned.

I could make a schedule for THAT, but as far as planning everything else? I'm not that kind of person. I have everything down in my mind.

Well that doesn't seem to be working for you. And when you make your own schedule you still are the only one in charge of doing things when you do. You just have it more thought out. So if anything, you are more in charge when you make one and stick to it.

Okay.

I may have ADHD, but that has nothing to do with focusing in my classes or keeping up with them and multi-tasking.

I can do that just fine and take on multiple projects and work on them all at once.

My problems with ADHD and my LD lie in the MATH area. Pretty much just there.

And anything else that requires math (certain sciences) and technical things, for ex I'm EXCELLENT at English/Reading/Writing, however I am taking Technical Writing where I have to format everything and do things a certain way and I'm having a REALLY hard time with it. When I was in Creative Writing, and English with Reading assignments/Vocab, I blew that out of the water. I also have a knack for learning foreign languages. I could have a vocab test with 20-50 words and look at them just 5-10 minutes prior to the test and make a 100%! I have a photographic memory when it comes to words/pictures. Why can't I have that with math?? I have also been working on 3 books, and have met with editors that said I wrote better than most adult authors when I was just 16, and when it gets to the proper length has high hopes of getting published! My mom is also a published author, and a german/english teacher, and my dad is a Technical Writer. Both of them stink at math, however I'm the one with the LD. My brother however can tutor me and he's 14! lol. My grandpa is a Rocket Scientist, what happened?? If I could give a fraction of my english/writing talent towards math to make me just AVERAGE, even it meant to just PASS, I'd do it in a heart beat!!

A lot of people with dyscaculia have a normal to EXCELLERATED (me) learning ability in english/reading/writing. But have problems with technical things, which while learning to drive for most people was common knowledge, it took FOREVER for me and I got my liscense at 19. Same with telling time on a NON digital clock.

Archived