College freaking me out/making me depressed. Help!

Rose21

I took sleeping pills last night and I nearly slept through my class.

Minor note: that's a really bad idea while you're studying. Leaving aside the issue of sleeping through classes, sleeping pills will have an adverse effect on your memory at a time when you could really do without it.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Minor note: that's a really bad idea while you're studying. Leaving aside the issue of sleeping through classes, sleeping pills will have an adverse effect on your memory at a time when you could really do without it.

Amen.......Ask anyone that knows me. My Ambien use has affected my memory. No bueno

I've noticed this! I took sleeping pills before an exam once and felt like someone took ice cream scoops out of my brain.

If a school requires a 2.25 (or whatever average they choose to announce) minimum average to transfer, that doesn't mean that anyone over 2.25 will automatically be transferred. What it means it that students who applied will be considered on a competitive basis and they will not even be considered if they are below 2.25 regardless of whether they have room or not. So if they have room for 5 students, and 5 students that had GPA's higher than you (which is likely considering your grades) have applied, they get accepted and you don't

My D19 had all kinds of AP classes and a 3.5, and she STILL didn't get into Texas Tech.

UNT isn't a bad school, it's just a little worn around the edges. And they have an AMAZING brand new, block-long gym. That was the main reason D19 was going to go there, until she found UT Tyler, lol.

I think you misunderstood me!

I'm not giving up, OR taking the easy route. I CANT go to Texas Tech, that has nothing to do with the grades (they also accept a 2.25 to transfer) It's because of the money issue.

It's so much money to go there than it is at UNT. It's twice the amount, and I only have a certain amount left in my college plans, and I can't take out loans and be in debt.

I could either do a whole year at UNT, or barely a semester at TTU. I also figured out, that while I do like the school at TTU the WHOLE reason why I wanted to go there was so I could be with my boyfriend and stop the part-time distance between us. I like the campus, but I really don't like the town it is in. And It would be hard for me to find a job in a small town like that with everyone else competing for them, and I NEED a job.

If I go to UNT

It has nothing to do with the easy way out, this was something I decided at the beginning of the semester, back on X-mas break when I realized how much more it was to go there (I thought it was the same price) And that going to a school JUST for a guy, really wouldn't be benificial for me and MY learning. Make sense? I'd prob get distracted and not do very well anyways.

And what "if" we break up? I would of never even choosen to go to Tech if it wasn't for him, than it'd be a waste because I'd be at a school 6 hrs away from my family/home. Plus, I have a year pre-paid of dorm, and if I went to TTU I wouldnt have anywhere to live because my mom needs to dig into my dorm money so we could stay at our current house so we don't have to move since I'm not transfering this fall like I had thought (car troubles=money loss)

I am working to bring up my grades, I'm studying all night tonight.

I slept all day, before and after my interview (before you get on to me about "napping") I should add that I did go to the doctor and they said I have a cold AND Acute Bronchitis and they told me to take it easy, and get plenty of sleep and rest. They said it was originally brought on my over exerting myself and exaustian and since I am already prone to Bronchitis (have been since a baby) It was natural for that to come on.

I mean, I can't even talk! I sound AWFUL. And it was embarrasing going to an interview and asking questions in math like this!

This just goes to show you, not everyone works well under studying very very long periods of time with very little sleep etc. Some people can manage, while I get sick and wear myself out,.

This is what I sound like:

It is A LOT less rigorous if you are transfering WITH an AA degree. The less credits you have, the higher GPA you have to have. ESPEC if you are transfering after HS. My special ed people said I wouldn't have much of a chance in getting into a university UNLESS I got my AA first.

Texas Tech:

(Notice how it says 24 classes and above, 2.25, I will have 60)

UNT

Here, since I have more than 44 credit hrs, it's a 2.0. 2.25 if it was 24 credits and up. After one more semester, I will have around 63 credits.

And that going to a school JUST for a guy, really wouldn't be benificial for me and MY learning
Boy, you got that right! I gave up a scholarship to Texas A&M cos my boyfriend said he wouldn't wait around for me. And then I found out he'd been cheating on me the whole time. In MY car!

Wow that REALLY sucks.

I know he wouldn't cheat on me, but I just think it is smarter to go to a university for YOU. Not just for a guy, boyfriend, fiance, husband etc.

If TTU WAS my first choice than my boyfriend being there too would be an added bonus.

But considering BEFORE I knew my boyfriend I was already deciding to go to UNT, I don't think it would be right to change my plans JUST for a guy, espec since I don't like the town and how far away it is from the other people close to me.

I should go to a school for ME, that is close to the things I WANT.

It would just be another year for the distance anyways not including the breaks inbetween.

So it just doesn't seem worth it, you know what I mean?

Plus, it'd be all the money I'd be wasting just to go there.

If you had a set amount of money to go to a college (the one that was more is your choice only because your bf)

would you rather just barely clear a semester there? Or go for a whole year at the one you originally planned on going to?

It has NOTHING to do with lower gpa, or taking the easy way out.

I wish people would stop jumping on me and actually read my posts ALL the way through before making such accusations.

rose, I do get where you're coming from.

But you have to realize that when you say 'I'm failing' and people give you all kinds of ways to NOT fail, and you just brush off their ideas and say they won't work for you...people will jump on that.

I

It's so much money to go there than it is at UNT. It's twice the amount, and I only have a certain amount left in my college plans, and I can't take out loans and be in debt.

Wait, you have a college fund? If you have a college fund and live at home, why do you need to work almost full time? Perhaps one of your problems is spending money... if someone has set aside a college fund for you, you should respect the gift by working your very hardest to get good grades instead of working full-time.

I'm going to transfer to UNT instead, it's closer and cheaper. Plus, you can transfer with a 2.25 there.

This is all your original post said. The way it's worded makes it sound like UNT does take a 2.25, but the other university doesn't.

All that is irrelevant, though, because you're going to have a tough time anywhere you go because of your inability to accept and acknowledge your issues and change them. Being sick is temporary and from what you've told us, your difficulties in school have been going on for a long time. And what others have recommended to you are not long, dire hours of studying - it's average for a college student who is successful and motivated.

You haven't responded to some others' questions, and one that I'm interested in, too - what is your back-up plan if you don't get into the FBI?

Well see, although I have a college fund (my dad and mom have been putting money in there since I was in 4th grade until my senior year)

It was a Florida plan, so it would of covered me fully if I went to a Florida school, but it does do a lot here. Although I have 2 years left and around $7800 left, so I would have to apply for financial aid for my last year, which I'm sure can be done.

I HAVE to work full time because I DO have bills to pay. I have to pay around $200 a month for my car insurance, medicine, cell phone bill etc, (before working just 10-15 hrs a week would be fine) but now I have to come up with $1100 to pay my mom back and my boyfriend, grandpa. The $350 my grandpa gave me can wait awhile, but that still leaves the rest.

And my mom is a single mom who can barely pay the rent, so she can't exactly pay all this stuff for me.

Plus I have to pay for my gas, and I have EXACTLY $13 to my name to last the rest for gas for the week, without gas=no school.

Also, if I don't pay my boyfriend back the $500 before my b-day in June, he won't get me anything for my b-day. and he charges $20 a month until it is paid off for interest.

which I understand considering he is a college student himself who doesn't have the option to be able to work while he's up there, except when he's here for the summer and x-mas break, and that $500 was over half of his savings. So it makes sense that he would charge interest given that he doesn't have the option to make money.

But still, I have to pay them back.

Also, I have to save for an apartment since I was going to use that year dorm plan, cancel that, and get a private apartment with that money.

But now mom is using that money, and if she wasn't she was going to charge me $300 to live at home plus the additional costs I have to pay a month.

I can't afford NOT to have a job.

I am going to focus really hard in school, and next semester I am really going to bust my butt and turn a new leaf.

I am just feeling discouraged after I keep failing math class after math class. My mom says it's a wonder why I haven't given up all together.

IF I don't get into the FBI, I will do something else with my Criminal justice BA, meaning being a Criminologist for a local police station, or a police officer, than move my way up to detective.

Also, I will have a writing minor.

I really need to say this even though I think it will fall on deaf ears, but I simply can’t just keep it inside because I see so many people here TRYING to help and their advice isn’t even read or responded to and that is a big shame!

OP, Rose, whatever you prefer, you seem to have no idea what you actually want out of life apart from wanting to work for the FBI. Which unfortunately for you will not happen! That is the simple truth, unless you buckle down and get your grades up. I feel that you have been babied through life and given everything into you, I don’t know why, don’t personally even care for the reasons. I will say one thing; you need a big reality check in terms of schooling and life in general. You seem to be all over the place, school, health and money wise. You ask for advice and complain yet you really take nothing of the advice given to you. Your posts many times have nothing to do with the posts written to you, you dismiss advice people give you, don’t answer questions that are asked of you and in general this thread and what you have written is extremely contradicting.

First you complain about your grades, worried about being suspended and how math is holding you back, then you complain about not having enough time to study and then you say how 30 hours a week is too much study and your mother along with boyfriend agreed with this. Every person I know that has studied engineering, definitely had to study more than 30 hours a week. Regardless how “smart” they were. You compare yourself to your family, to your professors and this is something that you shouldn’t’ be doing. You are not they and never will be.

Rose, you mention high school a lot, and I can’t understand why. You’re no longer in high school so there is no need to even mention it.

Health is very important, and so is staying in shape. Actually, I get a bit obsessed with being skinny, getting skinner etc.

From what you have written it really doesn't seem to be important. I think you like telling yourself that health is important, but you don't really do much. Your excuse is "no time". Which is an excuse you seem to use for everything except the picture taking!

It wasn't OFFICIALLY documented that I have dyscaculia

What are you waiting for then? I would also learn how to spell Dyscalculia is I were claiming to have the disability!

I can wake up earlier and go to bed earlier.

Can you? Going by what you wrote here, seems like unless you need to, there be no point.

I don't stick well with schedules, it would just be a waste. I don't like living on a schedule, I like to be in charge of when I do things and when I don't.

I can however set a specific study time each day depending on what I have planned.

I could make a schedule for THAT, but as far as planning everything else? I'm not that kind of person. I have everything down in my mind.

I responded to this already but will say this to you. Your problem is not that you don't stick well with schedules; it's the fact that you don't want to. That is the simple truth. You base your studies around your social life, which is extremely wrong.

Oh I don't think "I can't do it" I even try my hardest in a math, but nothing I do seems to help.

You don't give it your all and don't study enough therefore you can't claim to be doing everything possible.

30 hrs??? I do not have time for that.

I'm thinking on average maybe 5-10 hrs a week, if I'm working real hard maybe 15-20.

30 is waaaay to much. I'll go insane.

You do have time. There are 168 hours in a week. 30 hours of that is PEANUTS! What is it you do? You said you don't have a job right now.

When you did, you could have studied on your lunch breaks. Full time students shouldn't be working full time jobs. That is why they have STUDENT LOANS!

I signed my life away yesterday and left very little time for myself, spent 10 hrs on my research report and when it was supposed to be 5 pages, mine was 10.

But I told myself that if I got it knocked out yesterday I could go out with a friend tonight to get ice cream.

I told my mom and boyfriend about the minimum 30 hrs a week thing for studying, and they said that was absolutly insane.

You signed your life away? Lets be sensible here, your report required only 5 pages not 10. I find this extremely weird that you say how it is signing your life away. Your life should involve school and studies; it should be a part of your life.

What's wrong with going to grab ice cream with a friend? You make it sound like it's a HUGE deal! It's freaking ice cream! plus I deserved it, and spent 10 HOURS on my research report, did you hear me? 10! That isn't slacking by any means. It doesn't mean that by going to get it I'm putting that above school. I don't have to be a shut in and just stay inside all day and study. Doesn't work that way.

I've just been taking it easy today because I think I have a sinus infection, or a cold, either way I feel like CRAP. I've been coughing A LOT which could mean it will develop into Bronchitis because although I've never gotten the flu, mono, strep, pink eye, or even get allergies, whenever I get a cold (maybe twice a year) It usually develops into bronchitis. I've had it ever since I was a baby.

You can't afford to be going out for ice creams. No wonder you don't concentrate, you seem to always be doing something and spending many hours on this forum complaining about having no time. How about you spend less time on the Internet debating people’s advice and actually start taking their advice into consideration.

Accept the generous help these lovely members have given you instead of complaining about the lack of time! Stop complaining about getting sick. Many people have managed to attend classes and exams while sick, so in the comfort of your own bed YOU CAN STUDY. All you need is your books/computer and you're set!

Well obviously, there is going to be MUCH more studying involved.

And ATLEAST an hr of studying a night, even if I don't have anything big or important coming up. When I do, that's lots more hrs.

But I'm making that hr mandatory, and that should help me stay on top.

1 hour is nothing. I read a book for longer than an hour and I consider that leisure time.

Don't even come back arguing how you said minimum 1 hour. I know, but your minimum should be 3 hours not 1hr. I can't even imagine what could be more important than your studies. Like I said before, unless someone is extremely ill on his or her deathbed or has passed away there isn't anything more important! Period!

Well like I said, not everyone works well on that many hrs.

I think I will be fine, because I haven't even been doing that.

Sometimes I do 10, but that was just working on a project. Othertimes, maybe it's 2 etc.

15-20 would help out a WHOLE lot. My boyfriend does 20, is always on the Dean's List and he has Engineering classes. It CAN work.

You haven't even tried to study 30 hours, so don't knock it until you've tried it and remember you are not your boyfriend. I have a twin brother and we are completely different. Study wise and everything else. I can't even begin to tell you how different your boyfriend and you can be and are!

It depends on what time I wake up.

I took sleeping pills last night and I nearly slept through my class.

During that 1.5 hrs before class though it takes like 45-1 hr to get ready, school is a 30 minute drive.

There is this little invention called an alarm clock, we adults use it daily to wake up! I suggest you get one and wake up at a reasonable hour.

The rare times when I took a sleeping pill, next day I felt sluggish, my body ached and in general my concentration wasn't great. I have no idea why you would take sleeping pills knowing you need to concentrate.

As for the time it takes to get to school. One of my ex's traveled every morning for 2 sometimes 2.5 hours just to get to University on time. I didn't see him complaining when every morning he had to get up at 05:00am!

and I go to bed between 12-3am.

That is your problem. You should be in bed by 12 unless you're studying. You also should study during the day and evening, not past 00:00-01:00 am!

I can't take out loans and be in debt.

Majority of students do this. I don't see why you wouldn't/couldn't.

And what "if" we break up? I would of never even choosen to go to Tech if it wasn't for him, than it'd be a waste because I'd be at a school 6 hrs away from my family/home. Plus, I have a year pre-paid of dorm, and if I went to TTU I wouldnt have anywhere to live because my mom needs to dig into my dorm money so we could stay at our current house so we don't have to move since I'm not transfering this fall like I had thought (car troubles=money loss)

I slept all day, before and after my interview (before you get on to me about "napping") I should add that I did go to the doctor and they said I have a cold AND Acute Bronchitis and they told me to take it easy, and get plenty of sleep and rest. They said it was originally brought on my over exerting myself and exaustian and since I am already prone to Bronchitis (have been since a baby) It was natural for that to come on.

I mean, I can't even talk! I sound AWFUL. And it was embarrasing going to an interview and asking questions in math like this!

This just goes to show you, not everyone works well under studying very very long periods of time with very little sleep etc. Some people can manage, while I get sick and wear myself out,.

I don't even know why you would even think about going to a certain school because of a guy. It's beyond me. Really.

Reminds me of Felicity. Lol

Your doctor probably did say to take it easy, which is what a doctor says. If I have cold and go to the doctor they will say, "Take it easy Petite and drink plenty of fluids". It's common practice. This doesn't mean you can't study.

I also think we don't need a youtube video of some girl who couldn't sing because she is sick. You could have no voice for all I care and unless you have a temperature above 98.6F, you can study. Believe me, I know this.

I HAVE to work full time because I DO have bills to pay. I have to pay around $200 a month for my car insurance, medicine, cell phone bill etc, (before working just 10-15 hrs a week would be fine) but now I have to come up with $1100 to pay my mom back and my boyfriend, grandpa. The $350 my grandpa gave me can wait awhile, but that still leaves the rest.

And my mom is a single mom who can barely pay the rent, so she can't exactly pay all this stuff for me.

Plus I have to pay for my gas, and I have EXACTLY $13 to my name to last the rest for gas for the week, without gas=no school.

Also, if I don't pay my boyfriend back the $500 before my b-day in June, he won't get me anything for my b-day. and he charges $20 a month until it is paid off for interest.

which I understand considering he is a college student himself who doesn't have the option to be able to work while he's up there, except when he's here for the summer and x-mas break, and that $500 was over half of his savings. So it makes sense that he would charge interest given that he doesn't have the option to make money.

But still, I have to pay them back.

Also, I have to save for an apartment since I was going to use that year dorm plan, cancel that, and get a private apartment with that money.

But now mom is using that money, and if she wasn't she was going to charge me $300 to live at home plus the additional costs I have to pay a month.

I can't afford NOT to have a job.

Find the cheapest insurance possible, change your cell provider to the cheapest plan possible or get a pre-paid phone.

Ask your family if they were planning on buying you a present, and tell you how much they would have spent on the gift and ask if you can deduct that from the money you owe them.

I don't really understand the whole boyfriend interest thing. He isn't a bank and if you wanted to pay interest well then why didn't you go to a bank. As for the birthday present, read what I wrote above. He doesn't have to buy you a birthday present.

You are an adult and yes your mother doesn't have to support you. However, you have two parents I suggest you speak with them about your finances. If I was a single parent struggling to pay rent and had my 20-year-old living with me, I would rather work 2 jobs than expect my child to work full time. a) Because parents and kids should help each other b) it's would be easier for her to work 2 jobs than you a student (that is your job) working full time. I realize she doesn’t have to, you are old enough to take care of yourself, but we all need help at times.

I am just feeling discouraged after I keep failing math class after math class. My mom says it's a wonder why I haven't given up all together.

IF I don't get into the FBI, I will do something else with my Criminal justice BA, meaning being a Criminologist for a local police station, or a police officer, than move my way up to detective.

Also, I will have a writing minor.

Your mother doesn't seem very encouraging if she says that. Really.

It's not a matter of if you don't, you actually wont unless you do a 180 and make major changes and finish with a fantastic GPA!

Moving on from your FBI dream and saying you could be a police officer than move on to a detective is literally giving up without trying. I'll be honest with you. Unless you make big changes, you wont even get that far. You know why? Being a police officer isn't that hard, school wise, but it requires common knowledge, understanding, dedication, punctuality, thick skin long hours and those are just some of the requirements. Which by your posts, you do not have! You can make these changes now, while you are still young. It’s always harder to train an old dog new tricks rather than a puppy. Before you start getting offended, I wasn’t calling you a puppy or a dog; I was merely using a well-known phrase.

If you take offense to this, it’s your choice, but as I have said it many times I mean you well. I don’t know you in real life, but you’re very readable through your posts. So don’t come back saying, “ You don’t know me or anything about me”. I feel many members here know a lot about you and it is all because you have disclosed the information. There are many people here who can judge characters rather well and I feel I have read you like a book that is why I am giving you this advice. It’s up to you to make the required changes and change your attitude for your own good.

To be real, I am positive many members here could care less if you get a 3.5 or a 1.8 it’s no skin off our noses. You are losing, not us! We’re just generous enough to want to help you, but if you dismiss the help as many times as you have, you will be at a major loss.

I wish people would stop jumping on me and actually read my posts ALL the way through before making such accusations.

People are not jumping at you. Members who have willingly tried to help you and took the time to respond to your thread while you ignore their questions; posts and advice are very frustrated with your whole attitude.

Doc said it rather well. Take your own advice!

Respond to every single person and their questions, quote what they have said to you and actually show that you give a damn. I'll be very frank with you Rose; sooner of later people will stop responding to you. I already see members who have left this thread because they realize you don't even acknowledge what they say. You seem to think you know best, well dear if you know best why do you even have to ask us anything

Many members have realized that responding to you is a complete waste of their time. I know this for a fact. There are many people here looking for advice and while we spend time giving advice to a person who will take not a single thing from the advice given to her, we will give up tying on that same individual.

This is a very common occurrence with your threads. Just remember, the boy who cried wolf.

I think you need tough love and I believe I have just given it to you.

Petite

Not to make this thread any longer...

But I wanted to add that I had many professors in college who would allow you to use either a) your cumulate test average for the whole semester or b) your final exam grade ONLY if it were higher.

Perhaps if you speak with your math professor, and can document all the times you've asked for help with this class, he will go for this. Then you can study like mad for 3 weeks before your math final and pull up your F.

Rose, read petite's response. Done? Read it again. And again. Until it reeeally sinks in. That is the best, most frank advice on this thread and I think if you really cared about bettering yourself and your studies, you would take it all to heart.

You're not a child anymore, you are an adult. Having your mom write notes for your classes is only going to make your profs respect you less. No one cares she's a teacher, just that she's your mom and doing your dirty work for you.

I (and a lot of other people are) am getting very frustrated. I can honestly say I have given you my advice with the best intentions and HAVE thoroughly read your posts on this thread and most of your others. There's going to come a time when people here are just going to stop responding because it seems as though you only hear what you want to hear.

I think you can pass your classes, you have it in you. You just need to make it #1.

This is an interesting thread, so I'll add my two cents. There has been lots of good advice given, it just seems like you have an answer or a reason why you can't do it to everything.

First thing you should change is your attitude. Drop the 'I can't do it' approach. YOU can do it. It seems like you are so in your head and so focused on your learning disabilities that you are letting them hold you back. It might make studying harder, but not impossible. It seems to me that you are using it as an excuse to get poor grades. Instead of focusing on that, focus on what can be done to improve.

Why are you so against student loans? Most people take out student loans nowadays. If your long-term goal is the FBI, then school should be your main priority right now and you should do whatever it takes to get the grades needed to make your dream happen.

I'm not in school at the moment, but I'm going to be starting grad school in the fall. I'll be working full time (40 hours a week) and then taking 3 nighttime classes (6pm - 9pm) three days a week. That's 49 hours of my week already taken up by work and classes. I expect another 20 hours at minimum to be spent on studying/homework. The days I'm not in class will be spent studying as well as the weekends.

I know you said you don't do well with a schedule, but if you spend at least four hours every day on homework/studying, that's 28 hours a week. That is reasonable. On the days when you feel like you can do less, do less. The four hours don't need to be all at one. Do an hour in the morning, an hour in the afternoon, a couple of hours in the evening. Work around your schedule, but try to get in the studying everyday.

It pays off to have some sort of schedule, because this way you are not panicking/cramming everything in at the end of the semester. This way you can keep up with the classwork and if you identify difficulty with some subject matter you can get the help earlier. Seek a tutor or go to office hours. It will also minimize cramming because you will be staying on top of all the reading/work.

It might seem like a lot now, but it's all just baby steps and readjusting your attitude a little. You can do it! You just need to believe that you can do it!

As for your boyfriend only needing to study 20 hours a week, that very well may be. But everyone studies differently, requires different amounts of time to absorb/learn the material. Someone else in his program might take 40 hours a week to learn the material. It is all about finding what works for you. Don't use the 'he only studies' 20 hours a week and makes the deans list excuse. Clearly, you studying 15 hours a week is not working. Or, you are just not using your time efficiently.

How do you actually study? When you say you do 10-15 hours of work a week? What are you doing during those hours? Ideally, you should be keeping up on reading assignments, try and read before class so that the material being presented is not new, but merely a refresher.

Hopefully all this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
First question-- If you are failing remedial courses, you would be completely floundering in the college level course. They make you take the remedial courses so you can learn what you didn't learn in high school so you can succeed in the college course you do have to take.

Second question-- No, you wouldn't be a failure. But you would need to come back and do really well to prove yourself to any four-year college you plan on transferring to. If you do end up sitting out a semester, I would suggest a) working and saving money so you don't have to work so much during the school year and b) getting some tutoring on study skills/learning techniques/math/anything else you may need.

I have to somewhat disagree with you on this one. Math does not translate to doing bad or good in other courses. And you're an English major grad, right? I bet if college made you take even general chemistry......Or worse, organic chemistry....and you'd do horribly at it (most non-science people suck at science, math, etc) and then you're trying to tell me that you sucking at Organic chem would mean you'd suck in the rest of your classes?

Come on. Stop giving this girl discouraging news.

It's so not true. Perhaps she has well developed language abilities. Math does not define the rest of her life.

Wait, you have a college fund? If you have a college fund and live at home, why do you need to work almost full time? Perhaps one of your problems is spending money... if someone has set aside a college fund for you, you should respect the gift by working your very hardest to get good grades instead of working full-time.

Good grades are important. But they do not decide your future. I have seen plenty of successful, 100k earning people ....who got Cs in college. Grades and exams are subjective. Just because Rose is struggling in Math....does not mean she cannot excel in her future career, classes, etc.

This girl needs to calm down and start studying little by little each day.

Good grades are important. But they do not decide your future. I have seen plenty of successful, 100k earning people ....who got Cs in college. Grades and exams are subjective. Just because Rose is struggling in Math....does not mean she cannot excel in her future career, classes, etc.

I think there's a difference between giving it your all and making Cs, but still getting far in your career because you have a lot of drive and ambition, and making Cs because you don't want to put in the time to study and just want to float through school. Unfortunately, the OP seems to be on the latter path. You can possibly succeed with mediocre grades, but it's really tough to succeed in anything - school or career - without putting in time, effort, and energy.

I have to somewhat disagree with you on this one. Math does not translate to doing bad or good in other courses. And you're an English major grad, right? I bet if college made you take even general chemistry......Or worse, organic chemistry....and you'd do horribly at it (most non-science people suck at science, math, etc) and then you're trying to tell me that you sucking at Organic chem would mean you'd suck in the rest of your classes?

Come on. Stop giving this girl discouraging news.

It's so not true. Perhaps she has well developed language abilities. Math does not define the rest of her life.

I can sort of see how my post came accross that way, but that's not what I meant at all. Rose was complaining about having to take remedial math courses before being able to take the college level math course. I was simply saying that if she couldn't pass the remedial math course, she would be floundering in a college level math course. I didn't mean to imply that having trouble with math means she will have trouble in the rest of her non-related courses.

But Cs don't get people into the FBI which is Rose's dream job.

Archived