I turn my phone off sometimes when we're arguing just because he will BLOW my phone up if I don't. I know it's kind of immature but it's the only way I can take a deep breath, gather my feelings and prepare to discuss our problem.

My suggestion would be to blatantly ignore him like he is doing you. Have you tried having a serious discussion with him regarding this..or will he just not listen? Ignoring him will get the point accross.

What he is doing to you sounds extremely manipulative - he knows exactly how to push your buttons, so he does.

I think that is exactly what he wants.... for you to care and get worried and wonder where he is/ what he is doing.

I will tun my phone on silent or off when I get in a big fight with the bf, but I will always tell him before hand that I am going to do so. This keeps me from saying things I don't mean or breaking up with him in the heat of the moment. I think this situation is different though, like grey said it sounds like he is just being manipulative. And the fact that you told him this bothers you, yet he continues to do it is not good. I think you should just go out and have fun and not worry about this guy. He doesn't sound like he's worth your time.

Blue, my boyfriend is the EXACT same way when it comes to arguments and stuff....and it pisses me off. I totally understand what you're going through because I am the same way. I'm always the one that initiates contact after an argument and tries to fix things but now I see if I don't put a stop to it now, he will always think he can do this!!!! I totally understand where you are coming from and you don't deserve that, no one does.

I was once in this sort of position and the relationship wasn't viable, not to say that your's isn't or anything. It took me a very long time, but I finally figured out that the distance had nothing to do with it. He would have ignored me at close range too.

Blue, you always give such excellent, spot-on advice. I think this ^^^^is an interesting perspective to consider; doesn't seem like this is much of a positive relationship overall..

You know, I do the same thing when I'm fighting with the boyfriend. I will turn off the phone so I don't have to deal with him at that moment. It's my way of just having a few moments of peace because otherwise he will blow my phone up.

This always is so illogical..you solve problems by communicating!

How long do you usually "turn him off"?

BTW this is a great topic....cause it usually come off as being so unfair to the stonewalled individual.

This is a pattern with your boyfriend though Blue. It's more than just not communicating. It's manipulation and passive-aggressive behavior.

He accuses you of something ridiculous

You argue a little

He ignores you

You get upset and frantic and try to contact him relentlessly

He now has the upper hand having made you believe that you are in the wrong

He resumes discussions on his own terms

I worry about you Blue. I really do. What this guy is doing is really, really bad for your self-esteem. This behavior can make you feel just horrible about yourself and isn't that really the opposite of what a relationship should make you feel like? I understand he can be sweet, loving, and attentive when he so chooses. But thats where the damage is done. Now he's got you convinced he's some sweet, loving guy with just a few issues or two and if you'd only adjust to fit his demands everything would be perfect. It is a setup for failure with you taking the blame for it.

It's wrong, wrong, wrong. Please do not continue to fall into this guys trap.

He emailed me today saying it was because of a problem with his phone (hmm yep ok?!) Which I've heard before.

I know you worry Avman. But maybe Im a sucker because I think he is a good guy, he treats me better than i've been treated before (not saying much I guess)And he is lovely sometimes. I dont know, part of me just WONT give up

I dont know, part of me just WONT give up

Ok one more post and then I'll leave this alone. Please don't see this as giving up. What I'm saying is take a stand and refuse to allow yourself to be treated like crap. The burden is then on his shoulders not to treat you this way and if he doesn't, the one giving up is him. You are merely setting a standard for what you will tolerate and what you won't.

And having this guy treat you just slightly better than the abusive guy just isn't good enough for me. (I'm starting to feel like I'm your father for some reason You deserve to be treated a lot better.

This always is so illogical..you solve problems by communicating!

How long do you usually "turn him off"?

BTW this is a great topic....cause it usually come off as being so unfair to the stonewalled individual.

Some people just need to cool off before they can handle things calmly. I've had to say to my ex, "I need some space right now before I regret something I say or do."

It is normal. It becomes a problem when the person does it just to emotionally manipulate someone.

Some people just need to cool off before they can handle things calmly. I've had to say to my ex, "I need some space right now before I regret something I say or do."

It is normal. It becomes a problem when the person does it just to emotionally manipulate someone.

I agree and I think when the time span to "cool off" is exagerated like this, when you know you're hurting someone... is manipulative or just mean.

Blue, just remember that just b/c he's treated you better then any other guy he isn't perfect. I had this happen with an ex of mine who was a so called nice guy, and most of the time he was aside from those OTHER time when he was a jerk...

But when you think about it... if you're comparing his nice behaviour to your ex's then that's not setting the bar very high.

Still try and have another last talk with him about this whole "phone issue". He could have called from anywhere else.

I really don't buy any of his excuses. Not considering his history... And I totally agree with avman and all the others that are telling you that this guy is not worth you time.

I can understand that feeling of being unable to give up on someone. But when that someone is totally wrong for you, sometimes you have to overrule your heart and do what's best for you.

Can you imagine what this is doing to your self-esteem and your confidence?? Every moment sitting there feeling guilty for something you didn't do, waiting for him to call, is one more notch cut into the foundations of your confidence and your self-worth. I've been there, so desperate to hold onto something that I knew was tearing me apart, and it never gets better.

You need to get rid of him and move on with your life. You deserve better than this.

something my friend said to me that finally made me change my mind about that relationship: "Do you really want to be with someone who isn't excited by you?"

Archived