Blue Collar and White Collar

Kalika

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was an experiment done here on our multicultural TV channel some years ago. They put 20 or so random people in a house for a week and at the end of it each person was asked who in the house they felt they could most likely have a relationship with. During the week in the house they were unable to disclose anything about themselves but for their first names.

They lined up all the theorists to predict who was likely to get with who. In the end what happened in that particular show was that the pairings were completely random and demographic, education, job, location etc etc had no correlation with who could see themselves with who.

Sometimes, miscellaneous information can put blinkers on us that we don't realise are there.

Well you know this whole blue collar vs white collar discussion is very scrambled. For one thing, many blue collar workers have degrees....many of my own friends who work is blue collar jobs are very well educated people, that becomes increasingly the case the older you get.

I agree. I have a degree, and I worked a blue collar job for years after college. And I also know a lot of people who did the same.

Now, my brother, who never went to college and works a "blue collar" job, makes almost twice what I make at my "white collar" job.

There was an experiment done here on our multicultural TV channel some years ago. They put 20 or so random people in a house for a week and at the end of it each person was asked who in the house they felt they could most likely have a relationship with. During the week in the house they were unable to disclose anything about themselves but for their first names.

They lined up all the theorists to predict who was likely to get with who. In the end what happened in that particular show was that the pairings were completely random and demographic, education, job, location etc etc had no correlation with who could see themselves with who.

Sometimes, miscellaneous information can put blinkers on us that we don't realise are there.

That is very true.

My point is that not everyone who attends university and gets a degree is necessarily more intelligent, better educated and ambitious than someone who didn't.

The interesting thing about people who don't have, or never had, blue-collar jobs is that many of them are are quite astoundingly ignorant at the amount of knowledge, study and ambition someone has to have to be a successful plumber or electrician. The stereotypes are silly but someone like Mike Holmes, whom I gave a link to above, has a great range of knowledge, is very intelligent and is as knowledgeable and arguably more practical in his field, than, say, a professor of Ancient History.

I suspect that very often people who look down of people who did not attend University are not applying the skills they were supposed to learn in their University classes.

Bill Gates doesn't have a degree. And Dave THomas who founded Wendy's only had an 8th grade (?) education.

Yes, those who don't get what I (and others) mean by "values" trot out the rich and successful people who didn't have degrees. That is irrelevant to me because for me it's not about money or success (although where I am from, it does increase your chances of marketability/financial stability). In fact, I never preferred to marry a very wealthy man because I am not sure I'd be comfortable with the typical wealthy lifestyle.

I am sure there are wonderful, and wonderfully brilliant, and wonderfully rich, people who did not go to college and I have no issue with being friends with people who chose not to pursue a higher degree all else being equal. But when it came to choosing someone to marry for me the value of higher education (both for himself and for any children we might have) was a top priority. He also had to be intelligent and ambitious - both of which can equally be traits of someone who did not go to college and chose to pursue a blue collar job.

My point is that not everyone who attends university and gets a degree is necessarily more intelligent, better educated and ambitious than someone who didn't.

The interesting thing about people who don't have, or never had, blue-collar jobs is that many of them are are quite astoundingly ignorant at the amount of knowledge, study and ambition someone has to have to be a successful plumber or electrician. The stereotypes are silly but someone like Mike Holmes, whom I gave a link to above, has a great range of knowledge, is very intelligent and is as knowledgeable and arguably more practical in his field, than, say, a professor of Ancient History.

I suspect that very often people who look down of people who did not attend University are not applying the skills they were supposed to learn in their University classes.

Agreed!

Until I have been in their shoes, I have no idea what it takes to become a trades person... or any jobs I have not done for that matter.

I don't think that anyone with a degree should look down on those who don't have one... but also, I don't think that those who do NOT have a degree can say that a university degree is just a 'piece of paper.

I also value higher University education in a partner because I want someone who is on the same wavelength as me. Similar to the idea that many lawyers marry lawyers, many actors and actresses link up etc. It has to do with a common bond. You spend a good chunk of your life working and for me, sharing that love of the job with someone who can relate to it is very important. Does that mean I look down on blue collar workers..absolutely not...I certainly know that it takes training and skill to do what they do..and they have certainly put their fair share of time in trade schools.

I'm curious to hear from other degree holders who say that someone with a degree is on the same wavelength as them. I find that part odd.

I have a degree, but have never seen it as a deciding factor in whether i'm going to be on the same wavelength as someone.

I find it more important that he is loyal and kind, we have chemistry and we laugh at the same jokes

I don't think that those who do NOT have a degree can say that a university degree is just a 'piece of paper.
If it is said dismissively I agree. But sometimes it can have a particular meaning. A friend of my daughters got a placement when in Grade 12 with a film editing company. They were so impressed they hired him once he graduated high school (a very rare occurrence).

After some time he though that he should perhaps attend college and get some qualifications so he attended an ope house. One of the professors took him and a few others on a tour and showed them the latest and recently acquired film editing equipment. He said that he would be learning how to use it over the summer so he could teach it next semester. So my daughter's friend sat down and showed him how to use it.

The professor advised him not to attend the college because by the time the people on the tour graduated he would already have more experience - and in that industry experience on a resume counted for much more than 'a piece of paper'. He obviously wasn't sneering at the course, after all, he taught it. But he recognised the reality of the industry.

Yes I think that is a far more reasonable and understandable statement than anything to do with money, ambition, values or intelligence.

I have met many highly educated people who know their specific area but are not at all knowledgeable in anything else. They are very boring people to be around. Ambition..well, I have met people in professional jobs who lack ambition and drive and do not take pride in their work...and many blue collar workers who are ambitious, take pride in their work and make sure they do the best job they can. It is not the job that makes the man(or woman)...it is the man (or woman) who makes the job.

I'm curious to hear from other degree holders who say that someone with a degree is on the same wavelength as them. I find that part odd.

I have a degree, but have never seen it as a deciding factor in whether i'm going to be on the same wavelength as someone.

I find it more important that he is loyal and kind, we have chemistry and we laugh at the same jokes

It's not a deciding factor but it is a factor for me when it comes to a serious relationship and it doesn't hurt in close friendships either. In part it's because I was raised to value higher education so highly, I valued my experiences very highly, and for all the reasons COD wrote. I definitely would not be on the same wavelength with someone who looked down on those people who do not have a higher education.

It is not about the degree, it is about a chosen way of life...the higher education and what it entails. It is about being able to share what you do without someone getting all glassy-eyed and bored. I am passionate about the work I do and it is something I like to talk about with someone who would be able to share that interest.

It is not about the degree, it is about a chosen way of life...the higher education and what it entails. It is about being able to share what you do without someone getting all glassy-eyed and bored. I am passionate about the work I do and it is something I like to talk about with someone who would be able to share that interest.

I think it's sad that someone wouldn't be interested in your passion, or find it boring Regardless of whether they have a degree or not. Isn't that what relationships are also supposed to be about? Learning from your boyfriend/ girlfriend? Even if you have no idea about their hobby/ passion/ interest.

You have a PhD right? I've dated a couple of guys with PhDs and although I do not, I've always found what they are studying to be fascinating and admired them for their hard work. I love to hear what they are studying about, although obviously I can't understand what they are talking about to their capacity.

I guess that's what I mean about the same wavelength.. the best thing about dating people is that you get to learn about what they are interested in, whether it be what they're studying or their passion for sailboats! People love talking about what they are passionate about, and who better to share it with than the one you love.

If I'm going to be dating someone, and their passion is migration patterns of sub-arctic wolves or any other field of study

Yes I totally agree with that as well and I love learning about things like that. But knowing that my partner valued higher education and his chosen profession enough to pursue college and grad degrees gives us a bond that wouldn't be there unless I had had a similar experience.

I am not trying to be "right" - to the contrary, I am just sharing my personal view and how it related to my choosing a life partner. I can relate to people who wouldn't find it important at all to share education related values.

haha.. nice one. I always wondered how Bush managed that!

well put my friend, look at all the quotes sir winston churchill could spin out

bush didnt even know where london was!!!!!!!!! how insular is that!!!

so much for uni!

jahur

"never under estimate a minority"

sir winston churchill

The fact that I have a degree and he doesn't, doesn't matter in the least. It's not something we would bond over anyway. We're working in two different fields, so even if he did have a degree in his field, I don't see how things would change between us because suddenly we both have the same piece of paper. He's super intelligent, he satisfies my need for a man with brains, he's knowledgeable on everything and anything.

To me, what matters are his goals. His drive, his passion, his ambition. What does he want out of life. We share those same things. Paper or not, blue collar or white collar, it doesn't matter to me. We have the same goal in mind for life.

I know many people who have a degree, it doesn't exactly make us 'buddies'. It's a piece of paper. Personally, in the big picture..its the last thing I'll be worrying about.

cmon whats your take on it kalika?

Well I was looking more for relationship stories rather than a "would you date a blue collar person" scenario .. but the responses are definitely very interesting!

I think it doesn't make much of a difference as long as you respect the other person, and I think respect is really key.

I wouldn't date someone - or be close friends with someone most likely - who saw a college or any higher education degree as just a piece of paper (to be clear, in any kind of trivializing way) especially if that person did not have a higher degree. The bonding is not over a piece of paper.

Archived