Brain Tumor

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much, everyone. I could honestly not even continue my life if it weren't for the support I feel from you guys, even though that sounds dramatic.

I doubt the tumor would be cancerous, and it's likely more of a serious inconvenience than a life-risk. It just made me think about people in really bad situations. When I saw "Sicko" by Michael Moore, it just tore me up. Now it's kind of in my face. I can't stand the idea that some people have to choose between bills and death.

I have had a TON of health problems; PCOS, another currently pending cancer scare. As a result, I don't really feel sad or anything. I just feel hopeless. Like if this tumor is no big deal, then something else will get me. UGH I hate that feeling!

Credit cards? I already have debt.. I am a college student.

I am insured, but I only have a $1000 deductible and I'm only like half way there. I am going to do a lot of legwork to see what can be done. My doctor said I will have to get "creative".

I don't know much about the price of MRI's or what kind of offers I would have available.

There's a lot of denial, too. I will admit. I just kept saying "no, the 5 months of headaches, hair loss, and vision degradation/mood swings are from my pill!!!"

Check this out:

link removed

I don't know Michigan laws, but I think most state ER's cannot refuse care to you if you are uninsured.

You could perhaps get your MRI there. The states I have been to do not refuse care to patients in the ER only.

I am so sorry you are going through this news and distress.

Hugs, Rose

Check this out too:

link removed

While they can't refuse service to those with emergencies. Follow up care that she would need (MRI's, etc) would be through a different place, usually a private center that can choose whether to treat or not without insurance.

While they can't refuse service to those with emergencies. Follow up care that she would need (MRI's, etc) would be through a different place, usually a private center that can choose whether to treat or not without insurance.

ER's typically use CT scanners because they are faster and cheaper than MRI machines.

The CT scan thing... she set me up with a script for an MRI and seemed pretty adamant. I will call them and ask about a CT scan.

It's your health. There are very few things that are more important than that. Could you have a party to try and raise the money? When I was in college I had a party to get my dog neutered.

God, I can totally relate. I have PCOS also as well as a currently pending cancer scare!!! It just never ends, does it?

I don't really know how the deductible stuff works, but would SOME of it be covered?

Just do what it takes to take care of YOU.

Omg I wouldn't wish PCOS and the cancer drama on anyone, especially not you. Btw, I drove to Lansing today for work and I passed a Grand Rapids exit sign and was like "AWWW!"

Insurance is incredibly confusing. I asked my mom to help sort it out but she's kind of whatever about the whole thing.

If it's a thousand or so, I can swing payments... but the thing is this: I lose my job in April, and after April I also lose my health insurance because school is done.

I have so much to figure out.

hey, sweetie. i am so sorry. i know how you feel, i haven't had health insurance in MONTHS!

but on the bright side.... i got an MRI of my brain done a few months ago, and it only cost about 1000$ with no insurance. contact different technicians for the cheapest price. it IS possible!!

*hugs*

The scariest part of this is that I have no motivation whatsoever to get the MRI. I don't want the debt, and I don't want to know.

I cannot even explain the feeling, I know it sounds beyond ridiculous.

Ok so you loose your job in April then look for a job now. April is so far away and if you get hooked up with a good headhunter you will have a job in no time.

Omg I wouldn't wish PCOS and the cancer drama on anyone, especially not you. Btw, I drove to Lansing today for work and I passed a Grand Rapids exit sign and was like "AWWW!"

Insurance is incredibly confusing. I asked my mom to help sort it out but she's kind of whatever about the whole thing.

aww

Ugh, and I know what you mean--the PCOS is the biggest pain in the asssss. do you take glucophage or anything? (glucophage made me SO sick)

That's weird your mom won't help you much about it. I know NOTHING about it and rely on my dad to sort everything out Can you call your insurance company and see if they can help you out at all?

I am a bit confused... you say you have health insurance? Most health insurance will cover an MRI if the doctor calls for one (of course minus any deductibles you have to pay). You may have to make some co-payment, but it might be on the order of a couple hundred dollars rather than $1000.

If your insurance is only good thru April, then sooner is better than later. The treatment for these types of tumors is usually either medication or surgery, but you could be done with the whole thing before your insurance runs out in April.

It makes no sense whatsoever to delay this if you have health insurance now... Take advantage of it. And universities frequently have lots of resources to help you find other govt. or state programs that can help pay for your treatment. As a student, you may be eligible for lots of programs, so start investigating them.

IPhi, I hope everything turns out to be ok, thinking of you.

I am so glad I live in a country with free medical care, it really should be like that in all developed countries, thats why we pay taxes.

we pay crazy taxes and still don't get that.

sorry to hear that OP.

You're right but nothing I am doing really makes sense anymore, to be truthful. More than an MRI or medications, I need a psychiatrist.

I have been suicidal, so in my mind I think "how can I force myself to do the legwork required to save a life I had contemplated taking for years now?" And "how can I worry about some benign tumor when I am rapidly moving towards cervical cancer". I feel overwhelmed and that = total shutdown.

Nothing makes sense. I always let things go until it all comes crashing down. I just have to find motivation. The blockage is me. I don't ask for help and I don't help myself.

aww

Ugh, and I know what you mean--the PCOS is the biggest pain in the asssss. do you take glucophage or anything? (glucophage made me SO sick)

QUOTE]

I do take glucophage- they want to up that dosage so I am going for a fasting bloodwork some time soon. (More $$$$.)

It used to make me sick too. Not so much now.

Do you ever get that fuzzy, pop rocks sound in your head when your blood sugar is low? It's so crazy to explain to people, but I get this sound like pop rocks going off in my head. lol!

Archived