Guys: Would this upset you

NO, NO, NO! I HATE it when guys do that. My work is serious business and I don't want him there, ever. And if anyone shows up at my house without calling first I don't answer the door. I think that kind of thing is very rude. If they call, no problem.

Depending on the type of job, I think it's sweet to stop in once in a rare while just to say hi. However, I've seen it happen where the bf/gf or wife/husband was a distraction for a good period of time. It's one thing to say hi, it's another to have a visiting hour while on the clock.

My mom once broke up with a guy cause he called her at work after she strictly told him not to.

Although that is extreme, I wouldn't put up with random pop ins at work. Once or twice to be sweet and bring me lunch or something is cute, however, if they pop up and wanna hang out or they do it too much, I'd get annoyed. It seems so clingy.

If we had been dating for a long time, random pop ins at home are nice. However, we'd have to be dating for about a year for this to be acceptable.

^ what she said. Some of you make it sound like you work at some sweat shop that you will get fired if you even look away from your area for more than a few seconds during the whole day.

No, not at all. It is just that work is work and there are too many things to do during the course of the day at work that having your boyfriend or girlfriend pop in unannounced while you are in the middle of your work day is a distraction. They have no idea what they could be interrupting...maybe the boss just called you in for an impromptu meeting and you are getting your stuff together for this meeting when suddenly lover boy comes marching in to surprise you...yep, you go all red in the face get all gooey-eyed and hearts flutter in your eyes distracting you from getting yourself together for the meeting with the boss to go over a very important project. Work is work and unless you have a pre-arranged meeting with the partner, they should not be showing up unannounced.

As for at home, I agree with a previous poster that I would not like surprise visits...not because I would have anything to hide, but because I think it is rude to pop in on someone unannounced when you don't know what they are in the middle of doing...maybe they are busy cleaning, are a sweaty mess with Comet smeared down the front of their shirt (yeah, I always do that when cleaning the bathtub!). I would not appreciate a "romantic surprise visit" when I have Comet smeared over my shirt and I look like a mess.

If your girlfriend "pops up" at your job or home unannounced, would this upset you? Why does it upset you?

If it upsets them it's an issue they have...

There are some instances at work that might be awkward... but at home? I think it would be unreasonable to be upset about a g/f showing up unannounced.

If it upsets them it's an issue they have...

There are some instances at work that might be awkward... but at home? I think it would be unreasonable to be upset about a g/f showing up unannounced.

I don't think it is unreasonable at all...everyone is entitled to their space and not have it invaded. Just because the person is a girlfriend doesn't mean they don't have to respect their partner's space. It is not a free for all...if they don't live there they should not be popping in whenever they please. But then again, it seems that these days boyfriends/girlfriends feel they have a right to check their partner's text messages, emails etc so it is somehow not surprising that they feel they have a right to pop over to their partner's place unannounced.

Depends on the type of work the person does, and the reason you're popping in.

Many work environments don't encourage that thing, and people have badges and secure access to the building. Also, if he's in meetings or other work situations, someone popping in can be awkward and stressful.

If he works at a Starbucks and you swing by for a cup of coffee, that is fine.

But most of the times i've seen people's boyfriends/girlfriends pop by work, it is almost a possessive gesture. They're checking up on the person, and checking out the co-workers for competition, and it's very obvious. That's definitely not cool.

I don't think I would like it if a SO popped in at work. I try to keep my work life separate from my personal life and I would worry that people would gossip about me. Stuff like that. My ex, on the other hand, always liked it when I would stop by the store he worked at. I was on good terms with his store manager and if my ex was busy, I'd talk to her. I didn't stop by all that often though.

As for popping in unannounced, I don't usually mind. I find that kind of caring and romantic.

Work: depends. I know of plenty of people who work in a type of job where it's acceptable for a girlfriend to pop in and say hi, then go on her merry way. For some jobs, especially demanding ones, having a girlfriend pop in would be very inconvenient. As for home, I don't think that there's anything wrong with that, unless it's done so often that the guy doesn't end up with any time for himself.

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." - Confucius

I enjoy my job too much, it doesn't really seem like the totally different environment "work" like everyone else here is describing their jobs as.. my work is just an extension of my life, not a totally different world. Do the people who find visits upsetting get upset easily at other small things too? I'm wondering if how easy going/laid back somebody is has an affect on this.

I think my boss would be more upset than I would, but I wouldn't be happy not getting my work done. Plus, I don't want to seem unprofessional in front of co-workers.

If she showed up during lunch to go out and eat, that would be A-ok with me.

Archived