Tired of seeing sexy images of women everywhere I look!

Treese

I get pretty annoyed by this to, mainly because of my low self esteem.

I try to remind myself that with a good photo editing kit, lots of airbrushing too I could look just as good.. anyone could. Its fake though.

Its the naturally beautiful ones I'm threatened by more so.

See, you are healthy enough to realize it is your own self esteem and not really these women that are the problem.

Pretty women around me doesn't bother me. And the models and such...that seems so silly to me to get upset over it because i know that their bodies and looks are their career. We all want to shine in our professions and that is all they are doing.

I don't feel competitive with women who i will never likely even meet in real life and who my SO will never come face to face with either.

I am far from a model that is for sure but i like myself enough not to get angred by this stuff. Ironically it is the younger women who have not even begun to age yet who get the most upset about it. I did too in my early 20s and i was by far more attractive then as i didn't have a single gray hair or a wrinkle but ironically now, twenty yeras later, it bothers me so much less. I am fairly appearance conscious in that I do take care of myself, i like dressing nice and i like to do my hair and makeup...but i dont obsess over it. I look the best that i possibly can and have no bitterness to any woman who might look better. there are always going to be less and more attractive women than ourselves eveyrwhere we go. Some of the more bitter gals (not you Grrr, you dont sound bitter at all) need to ask yourselves...what if all of the nudity, models, billboards, etc were removed? Your insecurity is still there and i wilL GUARANTEE you that you will find a new gripe and that will be any attractive woman you meet in life who might wear a halter top and miniskirt. Fix the insecurity and you will help fix the bitterness you experience over this stuff. It is a miserable existence ....

The natural aging and maturity process helps build humility and reason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel sad for the models and stars out there everyday who are being told that they aren't good enough to look like they do naturally. They go to any extent including starving themselves to look like what some guy says they need to look like for his camera. It also has to make them feel pretty lousy when they are 'photoshopping' the heck out of their pictures. We all see what they really look like in the media. We all look the same in the mornings and throughout the day...we just get to eat pizza and not have to worry about someone airbrushing our bony arms. The bottom line is people need to make a living and if it includes going under an anesthetic to have bigger firmer water filled breasts inserted under their skin to do this for a camera.....they are going to do it. Some guys are putting their health at risk with Steroids everyday trying to look bigger muscular than the next guy in the media and so forth. It's rediculous and sad but true. Natural is beautiful. I just feel bad for them because imagine what they must have gone through self esteem-wise to get to this point.

Blackbear I agree. There is no use envying them because they have a pretty high pressured stress filled life I am sure. Sure they have their moments that are wonderful being so highly adored but keeping up that pressure and being terrified of aging or being caught on camera during a bad moment is a stressor i surely do not envy.

There certainly is a double standard when it comes to looks. I remember hearing something recently about how Hillary looked at some event. Would anyone even think about this for the male candidates?

I think there is a factor when it comes to influencing young girls. They see very thin models all the time so some of that has to make them think that is ideal.

There certainly is a double standard when it comes to looks. I remember hearing something recently about how Hillary looked at some event. Would anyone even think about this for the male candidates?

I think there is a factor when it comes to influencing young girls. They see very thin models all the time so some of that has to make them think that is ideal.

RIght. I am no Hilary fan but i don't recall hearing anyone talking about how old McCain looks or discussing his choice of trousers.

Is it just me or is other women really sick of having "sexy" fake women plastered all over the media in movies, magazines, videos etc? It seems like there can't even be a simple advertisement without having sexed up women selling the product, and it's only getting worse as time goes by.
Advertisers have long ago discovered that advertising only works if it is seen, and design their ad's accordingly. Criteria include the product, the target consumer and the media that the target consumer is likely to prefer. The image of "sexy" women is used to sell products to both men and women.

We women do our best to look good for our men,
As I imagine most men do as well.

but what good does it do when there is always "perfect" computer generated images of anorexic, embellished and made up models at every turn we make constantly reminding of us what society wants us to look like? I get so jealous I could spit fire sometimes.

Whle anorexia and other eating disorders are serious problems, the source of these problems is not typically due to advertising images.

Society doesn't want women to look like anything particular.

In my opinion, the absolute worst imagery, is used in the fashion industry; products sold to women, but you have to admit there is some progress even on that front.

Why are you jealous of something that is obviously "fake"?

It's no wonder women and young girls are walking around as emotional wrecks anymore.
As for eating disorders, the causes of emotional problems extend way beyond advertising imagery. It's even probable that some women find it easier to blame their problems on things outside themselves when, in fact, the problem lies within them.

Sometimes it actually causes me to want to be distant from my boyfriend because I know he sees the "eye candy", and there's nothing I can do. He doesn't ogle or make comments in front of me, but it consumes anyway. One example was when we went to see a movie that we both looked forward to seeing. The movie ended up with having many scenes which included scantilly clad women or cleavage at times.

Frankly this makes no sense.

You now want to distance yourself from your boyfriend because you know he sees (but doesn't ogle or make comments) "eye candy". He'd have to be blindfolded not to see it. Women's fashion advertising is everywhere; bill boards, bus stop kiosks. You could pick different movies I guess.

How can I get over this? I'm starting to hate who I am and what I look like, when I used to be proud. What do others do to get past it?

You do need to get over this, especially since it seems your self esteem is falling and is having an effect on your ability to relate to men (even though your bf doesn't seem to do anything negative)

Body image, like most self images we have tend to begin at home. I havae 3 daughters, none of whom has a body image problem, eating disorder or are consumed by the concerns you have expressed; but the notion of an idealized body type was not part of their upbringing.

You can't take the advertising industry and celebrities seriously. They are selling fantasy not reality. If a guy expects his partner to look like women in advertisements or Hollywood then he is living in a fantasyland and maybe not the best choice of a partner...because you would want someone who lives in the real world. I have seen pictures of those celebrities going about their regular life when they are not all sexed up for the camera...and many of them look simply average...no different than most women. It is the carefully orchestrated poses, pounds of makeup and photo touchups which make them all look like bombshells....if you notice they all actually look quite similar...like they all came from the same cookie cutter. Beyond the phony images, these women have the same angst that other women go through...loss of love, looking awful when they have a cold or the flu, morning breath, disheveled hair in the morning etc. I am not crazy about the fact that sexy images of women are forced upon us all the time...it get ridiculous...but to feel jealous and like they are a threat to your relationship is not a healthy attitude.

I have seen pictures of those celebrities going about their regular life when they are not all sexed up for the camera...and many of them look simply average...no different than most women.

Some look downright awful without the expensive make-up job and strategically placed tape.

• 2 weeks later...
You can't take the advertising industry and celebrities seriously. They are selling fantasy not reality. I have seen pictures of those celebrities going about their regular life when they are not all sexed up for the camera...and many of them look simply average...no different than most women. It is the carefully orchestrated poses, pounds of makeup and photo touchups which make them all look like bombshells...

I completely agree, Crazyaboutdogs, it's all fantasy based. If you look at Miss Monroe in my avatar and profile, she certainly appears to be a stunning beauty. But here are a few secrets.

Norma Jean knew she was actually quite plain looking and would spend one to three hours orchestrating her make-up. When she wasn't on set or in the public eye, she would slather olive oil on her face and was meticulous with skin care - not exactly very glamorous. Some sources claim she'd even wash her face up to 15 times a day in fear of a breakout on her glowing ivory complexion.

Anyone who saw Marilyn without makeup agreed she was a rather plain looking woman. But she knew how to accentuate and work with what she had to create the illusion (or fantasy) of Marilyn Monroe, via makeup and lighting. When her make-up was complete, even female co-stars were in awe of the transformation.

If you had three hours to construct your make-up with a professional, wouldn't you look more lovely too? Would you want to run around scrubbing your face every few minutes, terrified of a flaw appearing? Building that type of fantasy requires meticulous sacrifice. I don't envy these girls because anyone can achieve a certain level of improvement with enough sacrifice. The question is, is it worth it? Because sometimes it's better to find your unique type of lovely and relax to enjoy life.

Some sources claim she'd even wash her face up to 15 times a day in fear of a breakout on her glowing ivory complexion.

Which is odd as over washing the face irritiates it and can CAUSE break outs.

As for her playing up her assets and making herself look gorgeous, I don't diss her there. I think that she was smart enough to know how to play up what she had that was nice and it could detract from those things she didn't like.

Many women do that, even non celebs. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I have seen pics of marilyn without the make up and she was still very pretty.Its not like she was some dog who transformed into a sex goddess. She was still pretty even wtihout the platinum hair and cleavage showing. It was just a different kind of pretty, and there are all kinds and women should embrace that in other women vs envying it.

I suppose I don't have a problem per se, because I look at women more than my boyfriend does. I've come close to thinking I'm totally homosexual sometimes.

I can tell you that even women who look at women in the lustful sense...it doesn't mean anything. If you look whilst out with your partner, or go on about how X hit on you at work/whilst out last week, well yes you deserve a slap. But thinking *whooa I'd do that, in a DIFFERENT situation*, is entirely natural and (well, IMHO) not preventable. It's going to happen whether the media exists or not unless you live in a very rural area. Then it'd be sheep.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I totally understand what you mean, but I don't give it much thought, because I think no matter who you are there are always going to be issues with anyone.

Hon do you think these women are flawless and without baggage and problems...for goodness sakes...I think their lives are much harder, because they have to be in the public eye and compete with those other so-called gorgeous women for parts in movies, photo shoots etc....not to mention if they get the slightest bit overweight or some cellulite it will be on every magazine tabloid in America.

Also really what is the point in the big fake boobs...does that make a girl smarter, will she never die, or get divorced??? Even women in the magazines, tv, etc...there husbands/bf are looking at other girls too....there is alot of cheating, lying, divorcing going on in Hollywood that it makes our country look bad.

You must always be happy with who you are and never ever compare yourself to others.

Take me for instance I get alot of teasing because I am Hispanic (Puerto Rican) and I am slim in the waist, but my rump has been the topic of conversation since I was 8...Jennifer Lopez is not the only Puerto Rican girl who is bootylicious. My coworkers always harass me over it (in a good way).

There is beauty of different types...true beauty comes from the heart....I have known girls who are pretty, but their attitude is so ugly it stinks.

So don't worry so much over this...You are beautiful in your own way.

Thank you so much for your input. Women like you are the real deal, and your man hopefully appreciates you. My heart goes out to you and all the other women (and men) who are struggling with what is happening with the human race today. It's pathetic and scary to see what we're all doing to ourselves, and what's really sad is that women FALL right into it... complying and conforming. They continue to take off their clothes, get those surgeries, and spend hours on tan/makeup to try and emulate those ideal images of fake models. I appreciate your thoughts.

The most important aspects in life are not looks...if you are looking good with six months to live and never fulfilled your dreams...what are looks then?

Being healthy is most important because without health you have nothing.

I work in the medical field and people who tan or even those who don't get basal cell carcinoma, melenomas...10 tanning booth sessions can give you pre-cancer of the skin. It's very very risky to have breast implants and if you are thinking about it you had better find yourself a very reputable surgeon and even then there is no guarantee of things going right.

I am Native American, Puerto Rican, and Irish so I have a very unique look, but that is nothing because what men have always loved about me since grade school was my dynamic personality.

Even to this day I do things that men tend to love...I do martial arts, archery, target practice (guns), certified rock climber, have my own monster truck...even had an offer to write for 4-wheel magazine, even purchased a Chilton manual to fix my own car or at least have some idea what may be the problem. I am creative I know how to use tools and yes more than a screw driver...such as power tools...I am creative, studious, funny, energetic, wild in spirit, adventurous, brave, loyal, and honest.

But my greatest gift is my love for putting my own life at risk to save someone else.

Look beyond the physical because as you age the beauty on the outside will fade...big fake boobs and the rest is wrinkled and sagging...

I prefer just to enhance what I already have, not change or add to it...if you are a chunky then watch what you eat and liftweights/cardio, you don't like your hair cut it/grow it longer and find a new style...there are things one can do to look and feel better...nothing is impossible.

Just be happy.....laugh, sing, dance, climb the highest mountain...enjoy your life with no regrets...life is way to short.

Take this for instance...have you ever seen what Tibetians look like?? They are not glamorous, stunning looking people...they are very rugged looking with leathered skin from the harsh climate of the Himalayias, but they are smiling and happy and live very healthy long lives. Why do you think that is??? Because they know the true meaning of life...they understand that the physical body will soon fade away, but it's the spirit inside that will remain...it's the spirit, your soul that is beautiful. Fancy houses and car...no they don't have that either...they live day to day with the bare necessities to survive.

Good luck and take care

• 3 weeks later...

I AGREE COMPLETELY. Its absolutely unfair, sad and pathetic. It makes me very angry too. The world is unfair to women. Overall women get the bad end of the stick, what ever it may be. Its just all about money! Women arent as ****** as men in that way, so thats why there's hardly any men shown this way and no where near as bad. Only real men like real women. Simple crap for simple minds. Just laugh! haha

Oh wow I thought I was the only crazy person who had these same feelings I get so sick and tired of feeling so inferior to other women I can't control my jealousy and anger....really I've been working on it for 4 years, I can pinpoint when the process happens and what happens in my head but yeah its hard you kinda have to ignore it...at least your bf doesn't comment on these women mine does all the time saying how much better looking they are and how they are so well maintenanced and I just have to bite back with "at least im not as high maintenance like they are but if that's what you prefer good luck with your massive debts"

• 2 weeks later...

"at least your bf doesn't comment on these women mine does all the time saying how much better looking they are and how they are so well maintenanced and I just have to bite back with "at least im not as high maintenance like they are but if that's what you prefer good luck with your massive debts."

You deserve much better than that! Hopefully someday you might see this, and have the courage to make good changes for yourself. : )

Archived