What are some sweet ways to take care of sick SO?

Seymore

My girlfriend has the flu and is really, really sick. Yesterday I took an extra long lunch from work to bring her some soup, some flu pills and a movie I rented for her that I know she likes. I call her every few hours to check up on her and let her know that if she needs anything to call me, because I will take a long lunch again today to get her whatever she needs.

I was going to visit her after work yesterday, but her best friend/roommate who she hasn't seen in a week was home and I figured I'd let them either talk or let her rest.

I feel like I'm not doing enough. What else can I do? She says she's ok, and will let me know if she needs something.

My girlfriend has the flu and is really, really sick. Yesterday I took an extra long lunch from work to bring her some soup, some flu pills and a movie I rented for her that I know she likes. I call her every few hours to check up on her and let her know that if she needs anything to call me, because I will take a long lunch again today to get her whatever she needs.

I was going to visit her after work yesterday, but her best friend/roommate who she hasn't seen in a week was home and I figured I'd let them either talk or let her rest.

I feel like I'm not doing enough. What else can I do? She says she's ok, and will let me know if she needs something.

Shes sick with the flu. Its normal. Make sure you dont overdo it or else it may become annoying.

You will not be able to be there for her everytime she is sick. Be sure not to set that boundary to loose.

hahaha, stop waking her up every few hours depends on what she likes, i know when i am sick, i just kind of like to be left alone. one phone call or one visit with the essentials (DVD + takeout + medicine) is good, but i don't like much more than that.

i think you are doing more than enough, considering it is also just a flu, and not something worse.

Yeah, I would probably lay off. It is just the flu after all - it sucks but it's not the end of the world.

When I am that sick, I really, really want to be left alone to sleep and rest. And, it's different if I have been with someone a while but I am not keen on someone I am newly dating seeing me throw up and not having showered for three days

I just appreciate it if my boyfriend picks up some cold/flu meds & brings me some H20 or puts the kettle on so I can have some tea. When he is sick, he can be a bit more "needy"...I am off buying him soup (and making multiple trips to store as he remembers something else he wants when I get back!), giving him meds, renting him movies, getting him juice everytime he asks....lol. Anyway, I am just saying she does not need necessarily what you feel YOU would in that situation....

I got seriously ill a few months after I started dating my boyfriend. He had to take me to ER twice, hold a puke bucket for me, pour fluids down my throat - he worked from home at the time and it was great he was there or I probably would of died of dehydration and kidney failure (seriously, I had a kidney infection that was approaching kidney failure)....I was like that for a week but I HATED him seeing me like that..only reason he did was I had NO energy to even complain (it took all I had to muster myself of couch to go to ER).

Sounds like you`re doing a lot already!

Some people are wired differently. Some people when they`re sick just want to be alone and hide in a hole until they are better. Other people like attention and comforting. Do you know which your SO is?

I had no problem asking my SO how they would like me to take care of them. Turned out the both of us like rest, cuddles and a bit of "mothering" (drinks, movie, dry toast, whatever).

My SO is on both ends. When she wants attention, she asks for it. When she doesn't, she doesn't let on very well. I have to learn to read her.

This morning, for instance. I talked to her before work. She's sounding terrible, and I didn't want her to keep talking due to her sore throat, so I let her know that I'd take another long lunch to come by if she needed me. I think she got tired of me always asking "do you need anything".

After a long day at work, I get home and crash for a bit. After a half-hour, she calls saying she misses me and wants me to come by. So I did. Brought some Vaporub over, made her soup, we watched another movie, I took her trash out, fed the cat, gave her a foot and back rub, rubbed some Vaporub on her chest and held her until she fell asleep, then it was back home to do some more work. I'm freaking exhausted. I won't lie - she looked like she got hit by a bus, and looked like she needed someone to care for her.

But I guess when she wants it, she asks for it. And renting a movie and picking up medicine isn't high-maintenance, IMO - I love her. It's not like she asked for me to pick up the movie or anything, it was just something I knew would cheer her up.

Archived