Letter of Complaint to Best Buy - Job Related

I know how retail works I worked their. But when I worked their I always helped out everyone who needed it. Either by phone or in person. I'm not saying its not possible that they are not interested. The way they are treating the situation, is like they are not. I know formal turn-downs don't really happen in this world. But when ones calls to inquire if he or she got the job then the right /professional thing to do is to be a man or woman about it and go to the phone and just say it. "Thank you for calling, (company name), it was nice interviewing you and meeting you however we have found someone who is more qualified for the job, if we do come accross another position avaliable we will consider you, thank you and have a good day/afternoon/night"

Formal turndowns such as you were looking for are not required. They are "nice to haves", but not requirements, and since you worked *there* you should know that the employees get weeded out very easily.

You said you always helped eveyrone who needed it...I assume that means customers. Customers come first in retail. Interviewees are also customers, but they must establish a hierarchy on this sort of thing.

I guess it is safe to say that given your responses, if you were looking for positive feedback on your letter and reaction the majority feels it was not a good thing to do.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dako's letter is good

why didn't you catch her name - you could have called her and asked about the status of your interview, even if it was not her decision to make, she might have still known the outcome.

As for the gentleman vs. girl, it definitely sounds like you feel like women are inconsequential and the men are the ones who matter. sorry, that's just how I read your letter. that plus the fact that you never contacted the woman who interviewed you.

I agree with Dako's letter. I was planning on writing something similar but I dunno what happened and I didn't. Why I didn't catch her name? I don't know, either she said it to me while we were walking and I didn't catch it OR she didn't tell me her name. As for the gentleman vs. girl, I know it sounds like I feel that women are inconsequential and the men are the ones who matters. But I didn't plan on it coming out that way. I never contacted the woman who interviewed me because (1) She told me that the guy would review the interview that she is just doing it since he is not their (2) I dont know who she was.

Glegend,

You aren't alone.

I've been cranking out apps and resumes and got just one callback, from a job that wants me to work graveyard shift out of my car driving all over town. I'm trying resist calling them back.

Job hunting is a pain.

Welcome to job search in the 21st century. The economy is booming, electronics stores, indeed all food and retail, are making money hand over fist. Consumer demand is racing.

Retail management has discovered that customers don't mind waiting for line for service, they don't worry about the customer going somewhere else - they know that the competition's line ups are just as bad. Sometimes they even own the competition so they don't care one bit. Store security devices ensure that things don't get stolen so who really need store clerks.

Low level employees are part time, poorly paid and have lower or non existing benefits. In other words it's all about the money.

The Money!!!!

I bet they didn't even take time to read your complaint letter. Find a job somewhere else and don't even stop to think about this bad experience. I mean do you _really_ want to work retail???? It sucks!!

Glegend,

You aren't alone.

I've been cranking out apps and resumes and got just one callback, from a job that wants me to work graveyard shift out of my car driving all over town. I'm trying resist calling them back.

Job hunting is a pain.

Dako, you gotta emigrate to western Canada. 4.1% unemployment. We are desparate for trades people. Serious labour shortage out here. You know, one can easily stand in line for 45 minutes at Tim Hortons. Why? everyone who used to work at Tim Hortons is making big bucks somewhere else.

Tradesmen with experience name their price here.

In all honestly, electronics companies are not making money hand over fist like they used to and are in a very competitive industry where margins are getting lower and lower and they are all busy trying to find their niche in the marketplace to stand out above and beyond their competitors.

Stores like Best Buy are competing with guys like Walmart who are not even CE Retailers.

But I digress really. Retail is a tough market because many margins are becoming lower and lower. But the people who work in retail, as in front lines, the stores, really have far more competing priorities than calling an interviewee back within a few hours.

I have not worked in the trenches of front line retail in many years and man, hope I don't have to again. It can be rough.

Glegend,

You aren't alone.

Job hunting is a pain.

I know what its like. It a pain in the @$$. I've sent out quite a bit or resumes and no return calls. I was happy that my old manager considered me, and honestly I was hoping that I could get back into Best Buy. Doing my old job and you know everything be like before. But I guess it did not work out that way. I would take the graveyard shift.

I know what its like. It a pain in the @$$. I've sent out quite a bit or resumes and no return calls. I was happy that my old manager considered me, and honestly I was hoping that I could get back into Best Buy. Doing my old job and you know everything be like before. But I guess it did not work out that way. I would take the graveyard shift.

Did you contact your old manager when you interviewed, to let him or her know, so that they could have gotten in touch with the person who interviewed you to make sure you got a better "seat"?

That is what you should have done. If he really wanted you back he (or she) would have contacted the people interviewing you to put in the good word.

Word of mouth is always a very strong ace in the pocket when interviewing.

good point JS - calling up the former manager who wanted you back would have been a good move. then the manager could call up the interview guy and say, "hey - glegend is great, let's process his paperwork fast so he can get back to work."

Yes, this is always the best route to take if you know someone there who liked your work.

My daughter was recently back in the workforce and interviewed at a place where I used to work. She didn't hear anything and was getting the run around and she called me...i put in one call to the right person asking how everything was progressing and she was called in the same day for her second interview, and hired the day after that.

I agree with Dako and Annie24 and do not be surprised if your letter is sent around to other corporate offices in the retail industry and other industries. A lot of H.R. people know each other and this could easily get circulated on e-mail.

That does happen a lot, but the OP is 17. I doubt the level of position he/she is interviewing for is going to generate the interest level from corporate to circulate around and blacklist him/her to other retailers.

I know when I was in retail HR, we would not look out for any other retailers that way. LOL

Dako, you gotta emigrate to western Canada. 4.1% unemployment. We are desparate for trades people. Serious labour shortage out here. You know, one can easily stand in line for 45 minutes at Tim Hortons. Why? everyone who used to work at Tim Hortons is making big bucks somewhere else.

Tradesmen with experience name their price here.

In Alberta your looking easy 17/hour at Mc D's and for general labor 80-90 an hour

Did you contact your old manager when you interviewed, to let him or her know, so that they could have gotten in touch with the person who interviewed you to make sure you got a better "seat"?

That is what you should have done. If he really wanted you back he (or she) would have contacted the people interviewing you to put in the good word.

Word of mouth is always a very strong ace in the pocket when interviewing.

The guy I was supposed to see was my old manager. He's the guy I had a hard time reaching.

That does happen a lot, but the OP is 17. I doubt the level of position he/she is interviewing for is going to generate the interest level from corporate to circulate around and blacklist him/her to other retailers.

I know when I was in retail HR, we would not look out for any other retailers that way. LOL

I doubt I would get black listed for a small complaint like this from every retailer. I know a guy who complained to them about his laptop computer and their extended warranty package he bought. Basically they would claim they fixed it and wouldn't and when he was supposed to pick up the laptop, it was missing and after 60 days they are supposed to replace it and the wouldn't. If anyone wants more detail I can provide them with it. He email corporate and got everything straightened out. They were playing even more games with him,telling him they never say the laptop.

Not to seem like everyone is ganging up on you, but I hope you didn't send the letter.

I, honestly, didn't even read the letter in it's entirty. I skimmed and jumped from place to place. The letter is far too long.

It does seem that everyone is kinda ganging up on me. I did send the letter, corporate told me to send it so I did. I know its kinda long, but that is what happened. It saves me the time to write the rest, if they ask for it.

Suggestion: shell out some money and get a pro to look at your resume and cover letter. Maybe there's some problem there and some tweaking could be done.

I'm not going to dish out money to get someone to rewrite my resume and cover-letter. I did it once and it looked like a photo-copy it was poorly written, the format was horrible and the content was as much as a first grader could write. I don't believe there is anything wrong with my resume, I always tweak it to make it different for every position I apply for cause you know you have to highlight stuff that have significance to the job.

I'm not going to pay someone to find me a job and have them garnish my wages every week.

glegend, sweetie...you're much too young to have such a big chip on your shoulder! My goodness, you do sound like you get easily peeved. I think you should work on that, it's not going to serve you well in any way at all, and will turn you into an old man before your time.

It was only a little over a week after your interview, too. Your level of irritation seems way out of proportion with that. The next time you feel yourself getting really angry and tempted to act on that emotion, I suggest you take a long run or hike instead to work it off. Then, when you have a cooler head, you'll probably have a different perspective and more patience.

How do I know this? Because I tend to be a bit on the impatient side myself. But I always end up doing something I regret as a result, so now I revert to physical exercise of some sort to get it out of my system.

Last interview I had, I waited 5 weeks and still no word. I called back and the woman that I had the interview with told me she did not recall the situation. What did I do in that 5 weeks, nothing but wait hoping they would call. Bottom line is I don't want to find another job and start working and then have them call me backing saying your hired.

All I want to know is if they have decided to take me on board again. I don't see why it is so difficult for them to just say to no. Do you think that is so hard?

Archived