Letter of Complaint to Best Buy - Job Related

Last interview I had, I waited 5 weeks and still no word. I called back and the woman that I had the interview with told me she did not recall the situation. What did I do in that 5 weeks, nothing but wait hoping they would call. Bottom line is I don't want to find another job and start working and then have them call me backing saying your hired.

All I want to know is if they have decided to take me on board again. I don't see why it is so difficult for them to just say to no. Do you think that is so hard?

A company should call you between a week or two if you are hired. If, after and interview you hear "we're interviewing a bunch more people, but should get back to you in a few weeks."; I interpret that as a passive aggressive way of saying we're not going to hire you.

It is not polite and it demonstrates poor business etiquette when a place doesn't follow-up and let you know you're application is being passed on. But it happens, there are oodles of people who are rude in this way.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't feel that it is wrong calling back to follow up so you can see what is going on. I personally don't like doing it, because it seem to me that it shows I am begging for a job . But it does work, and it has worked for people that I know.

I don't really feel that I have done anything wrong by emailing the head office, because of the poor service I was given. The main thing in retain is Customer Service. So if they were like that to me just calling to find out what is going on with the job, then what are they going to do when someone is calling to inquire about a product or to get a product put on hold.

Do you guys feel that it was wrong calling them to find out what is going on?

So if they were like that to me just calling to find out what is going on with the job, then what are they going to do when someone is calling to inquire about a product or to get a product put on hold.

They want to and feel like they have to keep their customers so they would do everything they can to help...

But they don't have to hire you. They don't care if you never come to their store again.

If you worked retail before, you should know this.

It might make you feel better to vent but you're going to burn many bridges this way.

Yes, exactly. So, the next time you feel like venting, ask yourself, "Is the way I will feel for a few minutes while I vent worth the likely consequences?"

If you find yourself repeatedly choosing the former, you may have to realize you have some issues with self-control that need to be worked on. (We all have issues to work on, of course...but the younger you are when you recognize them, the faster you can address them and the less they will impact your life for the negative.)

I was going to say two things that I see Scout and Batya have said. I'll reinforce it for you....

It is the WAY you wrote that letter and handled it, and two, YES, when you are angry and write an email or letter, WAIT 24 hours before sending it.

After that period of time one will have cooled their heels enough to reconsider some of the content.

One thing that I have noticed that seems to be more of a Generation X and Y thing moreso than their older counterparts is this sense of entitlement and this "I want it NOW"" mentality. Somethings you have to wait for, and employment is never owed to you. You have to wait until the employer gets back to you, and while it is good etiquette that every candidate get a return phonecall or turndown letter, reality is that businesses are busy and this does not always occur.

What do you guys mean its how I did it?

I called back to talk to the store and see what is going on. Theres nothing wrong with that. Employers like that.

So what happened I called and the guy was not there. I was being told to call a times when the person was not their, either because he was not working that time or day. They told me that the right person will call me back. Well its now 3 days and they have not called me back. The other person that said will call me back still has not. So it goes to show what kind of customer service they are offering.

I spoke to their 1-800-number and they told me to email them or fax them because they don't have a person-to-person human resource center. So what did I do wrong? NOTHING. I was told email them explaining to them what happened and address how I feel about it and how it was handled. And I did. They had the decency to email me back 2 times. And this is what they said to me.

THIS IS THE FIRST EMAIL BACK TO ME:

customerservice@bestbuycanada.ca> wrote:

Please include the following line in all replies.

Tracking number: CT2xx7x71x_xxxxx113xx

Dear Mr. Glegend:

Thank you for notifying us of your concerns. Please be assured that we

will make every effort to provide you with a satisfactory resolution.

To help us assist you, please respond back to us with the following

information so that we are able to provide the store with complete details

and your complete contact information:

Who you spoke with at the store:

Your address:

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact one of our

friendly customer service representatives at our toll free number 1-866-237-8289.

Thank you for your patience. We look forward to serving you.

Sincerely,

**Please copy this entire message into your next e-mail back to us.**

Renee

Customer Care

Best Buy Canada

I emailed them back.

To: "customerservice@bestbuycanada.ca" customerservice@bestbuycanada.ca>

Dear Renee,

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my email, as well

as making the effort to help me out. I really appreciate it. My address is

as follows:

x5x Cxxxg Avenue

Toronto, Ontario

M6x 3xx

However, for some reason I did not get the name of the woman who interviewed me. Either when we were walking she told it to me and I did not catch it OR she did not tell me it. The only I recall her saying is that she is going to do the interview today because the gentlemen I was supposed to see was away sick. I am only have the name of the person who was supposed to interview me. I can provide his name is you would like.

Sincerely,

Glegend

And then they emailed me back this

Dear Glegend

Thank you for notifying us of your concerns regarding the Downsview, Ontario retail store. Please be assured that we will make every effort to provide you with a satisfactory resolution.

Your concern has been forwarded to the appropriate personnel at the Best Buy Canada store in question. Your file number is 9x4xx. Please allow up to 48 business hours for a response.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at our toll free number 1-866-237-8289 or via email at customerservice@bestbuycanada.ca.

We thank you for your patience and co-operation with this situation and we look forward to serving you again.

Sincerely,

Tara

Customer Care

Best Buy Canada

They sent you a form letter.

And you don't think that it would have been very professional of you to ensure you not only remembered the interviewer's name, but wrote it down?

That made you look really bad in your letter, to say you dont even know the woman's name. It sounds like you want to gripe about lack of a return call but did not even do the due diligence on your end to even get your interviewer's name.

YOU ALWAYS get their name, and it is respectful to send a thank you letter to them when done.

Perhaps had you gone this positive route and sent her a thank you letter, you would have gotten a more prompt response to your interview and would not have had to send that nasty letter.

But I am sure you will rebutt this advice...

They sent you a form letter.

And you don't think that it would have been very professional of you to ensure you not only remembered the interviewer's name, but wrote it down?

That made you look really bad in your letter, to say you dont even know the woman's name. It sounds like you want to gripe about lack of a return call but did not even do the due diligence on your end to even get your interviewer's name.

YOU ALWAYS get their name, and it is respectful to send a thank you letter to them when done.

Perhaps had you gone this positive route and sent her a thank you letter, you would have gotten a more prompt response to your interview and would not have had to send that nasty letter.

But I am sure you will rebutt this advice...

I agree with this. And, would you rather be "right" as in believing you are right in perceiving the actions as unfair/unjust, whatever or work within their system - or another employer's system - in order to get a job in a company. It's your choice- many people prioritize being "right" and choose to go into business for themselves or not to work at all, etc. no matter how small the perceived injustice. They are the victim of the big corporation, they refuse to be part of what they see as unethical or unfair treatment and they would rather not work or make far less money than be any part of that system. Or, you can accept that workplaces aren't always perfect or entirely fair, choose not to fight the small battles so that you can have a stable job or career.

Having said that I think you were treated fairly - just saying that even if they did not treat you with all the courtesy you feel you deserved from a potential employer -- is it really worth it to send antagonizing, confrontational letters so that you can get some sort of "apology?" Perhaps it is to you but if it is be willing to accept the consequences particularly if you continue that behavior as an adult.

Look I did not get her name. I don't know why. I don't remember her telling me her name. All I remember is her saying that the guy I was supposed to see was sick and she was going to fill in.

I don't send thank you letters. I call back to find out what is going on (follow up on the interview) and thank them in person over the phone.

I know its not a good thing that I don't know her name but the store does and its held on file. I don't think the route I took was that bad. I feel that if the store does not really give a * * * * then I have to go one up, which I would be the Human Resource department, thats where the email is forwarded to. My letter was not nasty at all. It could have 100 times worse, I could of degrated the whole stores character as well as the employee's.

Having said that I think you were treated fairly - just saying that even if they did not treat you with all the courtesy you feel you deserved from a potential employer -- is it really worth it to send antagonizing, confrontational letters so that you can get some sort of "apology?" Perhaps it is to you but if it is be willing to accept the consequences particularly if you continue that behavior as an adult.

Why don't you think again? Was I really treated fair? I don't think so. Put yourself in a similar position. You call me up, leave me a message (for whatever reason) with a secretary and the secretary tells you I will call you back. I get the message and never call you back. Is that fair to you? No its not. Its the same thing with me.

I don't really care for an apology. All I care about is finding out what is going on. Thats its. I want them to tell me what the store's decision is, because they are cowards and cannot make a 2minute phone to tell me what is going on.

Why don't you think again? Was I really treated fair? I don't think so. Put yourself in a similar position. You call me up, leave me a message (for whatever reason) with a secretary and the secretary tells you I will call you back. I get the message and never call you back. Is that fair to you? No its not. Its the same thing with me.

I don't really care for an apology. All I care about is finding out what is going on. Thats its. I want them to tell me what the store's decision is, because they are cowards and cannot make a 2minute phone to tell me what is going on.

But they are a retail store. To be honest I used to work for Best Buy. That is funny thing about this story, I was management there. I know for a fact, their policy is to NOT call back the applicants they are not hiring at that time due to they get so many applicants they would have to hire a whole team of people to only call those people back. I do not think you are an exception to this rule, but this is kind of comical.

glegend - you have a long, tough row ahead, my friend. You are way too resistant to getting feedback, which does not bode well for your capacity to learn, grow, and mature.

I was hoping to get some honest opinions, in regards to my letter or complaint about their service.

Everyone on this thread is taking time out to tell you what they honestly think about how you handled this - because you ASKED us to!

Or did you just want to be reassured that how you handled this was ok - when you know in your heart it was not, you just don't want to admit it?

Again, if you can't learn to admit your mistakes, you're in for a rough time of it as an adult.

But they are a retail store. To be honest I used to work for Best Buy. That is funny thing about this story, I was management there. I know for a fact, their policy is to NOT call back the applicants they are not hiring at that time due to they get so many applicants they would have to hire a whole team of people to only call those people back. I do not think you are an exception to this rule, but this is kind of comical.

You know how it is. When I went for the interview there was only one other guy there, I assume it was between me or him. I know where your getting at. But when someone calls back and you tell them that someone will call you back right away and they don't thats not right at all. I know I am not a exception, but I think I am right now. Why? Because I called back to find out what is going on.

You missed my point. Even if it wasn't fair, is it worth burning bridges and antagonizing people just to get a phone call so they can tell you that you did not get the job? If I got upset over every unreturned phone call and over every single "unfair" situation in the business world I would never get anything productive done. and that's not meant to be cynical in the least - it's just reality. I choose my battles carefully given that time is a precious resource and so that I don't "cry wolf" or burn bridges where I don't need to. And, no I don't expect every person I leave a message with - particularly if it's with an assistant - to call me back. I cut people slack, realize they have busy lives like I do, realize that sometimes the ball gets dropped, things slip through the cracks very often unintentionally.

Hopefully when you are an adult you will have this level of anger/hostility under control more and/or will do the internal work to manage it better than you appear to be.

Take their silence/nonresponsiveness as a lack of interest. Even if they were interested I doubt that given your overreaction as well as the grammatical/spelling errors and your inability to remember who interviewed you, that they are interested in you joining their team at this point.

glegend - you have a long, tough row ahead, my friend. You are way too resistant to getting feedback, which does not bode well for your capacity to learn, grow, and mature.

Everyone on this thread is taking time out to tell you what they honestly think about how you handled this - because you ASKED us to!

Or did you just want to be reassured that how you handled this was ok - when you know in your heart it was not, you just don't want to admit it?

Again, if you can't learn to admit your mistakes, you're in for a rough time of it as an adult.

I just wanted to know what the honest opinion of the letter was. I did not ask for someone to point out grammatical errors, syntax errors or the what not.

I just wanted to know what the honest opinion of the letter was. I did not ask for someone to point out grammatical errors, syntax errors or the what not.

I am not the only one growing frustrated by these responses. The grammatical error feedback you got WAS an honest opinion on the letter.

It had NO impact. None. Well I take that back, it did have a negative impact. It was wordy, poorly written and had more errors than one of my son's eighth grade composition papers (when he was in 8th grade). You did not demonstrate ANY passion for the job, didn't remember your interviewer's name, and have given them ZERO reason to think you are an enthusiastic candidate looking to work for this company. The only message I get from your letter was that you are ticked off that you did not get a formal turn down.

If I were the one who received that letter I would have picked up the phone and said Mr. or Ms. Glegend, thank you for your time and interest in our company, but at this time we are pursuing other candidates.

If I had sent anything at all looking for a response it would have been something to the tune of "Dear sir or madam, I am very excited at the prospect of working for the Best Buy Store in . My former manager called to inform me about this opening and I interviewed on with a lady by the name of . I am just following up to see if any decisions have been made on this position and to see if you require me to submit any references at this time.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to working with the company in the future.

That is all you needed to say to let them know you were awaiting status, that you were excited about the job, and you could have plugged in the name of your former manager so they could have called him for a reference right away.

And you don't believe in thank you letters?

ERRR. I do not like to put all young people into one box, but you are doing nothing to shed a positive light on other young people. You have a very strong sense of entitlement and no sense of etiquette. I hope you do not represent all young people that's for sure.

Even if it wasn't fair, is it worth burning bridges and antagonizing people just to get a phone call so they can tell you that you did not get the job?

In a way yes. Because I took the time out of my life to call them to follow up on the interview with the intention of finding out if they have chosen to rehire me or not. I did not expect for them to call me back if they had no intentions on rehiring me, however I would not expect it if I did not call them first. Since I called them and they told me they would call me back then I expect a bloody phone call back either saying yes or no. Whats the point of them telling me I will forward the message onto the correct person and have them call you back. They should just tell me, if we have not called you then we did not hire you

Archived