Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Diabetic sugar free foods

  1. #21
    Platinum Member Fudgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    15,368
    Gender
    Female
    US has a lot of sugar-free diet products here, more than Canada...maybe because of demand? Also, saccharin (Sweet n Low) has been banned in Canada for a long time but we still have it here in the US. Be careful to always look at the label before you buy anything because sugar alcohols, while they contain no sugar, can give you diarrhea if you consume too much.

    I am not diabetic but I've found that I really like Splenda in things (I also can cook/bake with it) and I make things at home a lot to reduce the sugar as well. Stevia isn't bad either - I just prefer Splenda in my coffee, not sure why!

  2. #22
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    53
    Posts
    37,223
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by Fudgie
    US has a lot of sugar-free diet products here, more than Canada...maybe because of demand? Also, saccharin (Sweet n Low) has been banned in Canada for a long time but we still have it here in the US. Be careful to always look at the label before you buy anything because sugar alcohols, while they contain no sugar, can give you diarrhea if you consume too much.

    I am not diabetic but I've found that I really like Splenda in things (I also can cook/bake with it) and I make things at home a lot to reduce the sugar as well. Stevia isn't bad either - I just prefer Splenda in my coffee, not sure why!
    I like Stevia it isnít bad!

  3. #23
    Platinum Member Fudgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    15,368
    Gender
    Female
    Agave syrup can be good too - especially in some recipes where stevia/splenda may not work well, just be sure to watch the carbs.

  4. #24
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    53
    Posts
    37,223
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by Fudgie
    Agave syrup can be good too - especially in some recipes where stevia/splenda may not work well, just be sure to watch the carbs.
    I donít bake or eat a lot of baked goods anyway so that is a plus. For me it is the carbs. I am more of a bread ,potato chips that kind of girl. So I havenít been eating any bread at all Iíll have potato maybe once a week and I havenít had a chip since I found out. I think I am down 7 pounds.

  5.  

  6. #25
    Platinum Member Fudgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    15,368
    Gender
    Female
    You're doing great! :)

  7. #26
    Gold Member SarahLancaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    846
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by DancingFool
    Raw cocoa powder is not bitter at all. It is in fact mild and pleasant and flavorful. Mix it with hot milk, add a little vanilla extract and you have your drink sugar free. You might be surprised that you don't actually need to add any sweetener at all.

    Oh just one important note on that - if you are taking blood pressure meds or have high blood pressure, raw cocoa powder will drop your blood pressure by up to 40%, so beware of an over medicating effect. Raw cocoa is quite potent like that and yes, there actual scientific study done on this with those results found to be consistent.
    Wow. I never knew that about the blood pressure connection. Interesting.

  8. #27
    Platinum Member maew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,769
    A lot of paleo and keto recipes are low carb / with low to no sugar. I like the paleo ones better as they tend to focus more on single ingredient whole foods and will generally be grain and dairy free.

    I make my own hot chocolate with cocoa powder, a table spoon of sugar and high fat cream... the fat slows the uptake of carbs and makes it easier to regulate insulin production. I am sure you could sub the sugar for stevia, in fact you definitely can, my neighbour is on a sugar free diet and does this all the time.

  9. #28
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    53
    Posts
    37,223
    Gender
    Female
    I tried the pure cacao powder and stevia and cinnamon. Still kinda bitter. 😣

  10. #29
    Platinum Member ThatwasThen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Central Canada
    Posts
    14,163
    Gender
    Female
    I find Stevia is bitter in itself. I think Splenda tastes more like sugar. The No Name brand at No Frills is much cheaper and its exactly the same ingredients as the real Splenda.

    What did you use for a whitener? Real milk or powdered milk or did you just have it without any whitener? There are non-dairy creamers if you are lactose intolerant.

  11. #30
    Forum Supporter ~Seraphim ~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Age
    53
    Posts
    37,223
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by ThatwasThen
    I find Stevia is bitter in itself. I think Splenda tastes more like sugar. The No Name brand at No Frills is much cheaper and its exactly the same ingredients as the real Splenda.

    What did you use for a whitener? Real milk or powdered milk or did you just have it without any whitener? There are non-dairy creamers if you are lactose intolerant.
    No whitener at all.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •