Is he just confused?

HollyHanes1

So an update on my most recent thread.

My ex was seen getting food with three girls, one of whom is a best friend of my best friend. My best friend was annoyed as my ex had had sex with this best friend of hers the night before and didn’t want to be put in that position, if he was trying to start something knew with this girl after only having sex with me a week ago and basically saying he regretted breaking up with me a week before that.

My best friend met up with him to see what was going on. She asked him what his intentions were with me, saying ‘you’re clearly sleeping with Holly for convenience’, to which he replied ‘no it’s not for convenience, I really care about holly’. She then asked about this most recent sexcapade and lunch with her best friend to which he said that it was only just sex with this girl, doesn’t have any feelings with her and only brought her and her friends for a McDonalds cause he owed them a favour and he has a car.

My best friend then said ‘look, you are either with holly or you’re not, you can’t be half in half out’ and he said ‘we’ve tried every time to break it off but we keep gravitating towards each other’ and my best friend said ‘well you need to draw a line because this isn’t fair on anybody’ to which he said ‘but drawing a line is too definite..’ - I think breaking up with me was a bit definite.

What does everyone make of this? Still waiting to see if he’ll contact me to clear this up as it only happened yesterday.

If you broke up over a year ago, why are you still hooking up? Do not send messengers to talk to him about your hookups. Can't you speak for yourself about what you want with him? If you want to continue a fwb situation with him that's fine. If you want someone to date that is not on/off and confusing stop contacting him and most of all tell this busy-body "friend" to stay out of it.

She asked him what his intentions were with me, saying ‘you’re clearly sleeping with Holly for convenience’, to which he replied ‘no it’s not for convenience, I really care about holly’. he said ‘we’ve tried every time to break it off but we keep gravitating towards each other’

So the one constant in your story is your ex-boyfriend loves sex. And he will go with anyone who provides sex with him. And apparently you and your friends don't mind giving him sex, so he keeps showing up. So he's not confused and you shouldn't be either. You keep looking for emotions and reasons that simply aren't there. As long as you keep giving him sex, he'll keep knocking at your door. So either keep doing what you're doing or shut the guy off, but just realize, it's only about sex.

Your best friend really needs to keep her nose out of this. Who he sleeps with is not her business, and she is being inappropriate and unreasonable expecting him to justify or explain himself to her. It's also completely pointless to have her playing spokesperson for you anyway, since he's likely not dumb enough to admit he only wants sex from you. I get that she thinks she's looking out for you, but she needs to recognize boundaries and stay in her lane here.

If you want to know where his heart and mind are at, ask him yourself. If you are not comfortable having sex with him while he's having sex with other girls, stop doing so.

He's not "confused". He is getting sex from you and this other woman...and maybe others.

What's confusing is why you think you need to put up with this. This is risky in more than one way. Risky for your emotional state and risky in a physical sense (STDs).

Please don't continue sleeping with him hoping he'll "pick" you out of the bunch. Hold yourself to a higher value.

And tell your friend to back off! Your friend will not convince him to pick you. Probably the opposite.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived