I know that anti depressants have a side effect of causing vivid dreams. But my dreams are so weird that I am scared of the whole idea of going to bed and falling asleep. Don't know if its my disturbed state of mind or stress?. Mostly I dream about trying to save me and my family from drowning from a tsunami or flood. Re-occurrence of this dream makes me so uneasy at night that morning I am thankful to God that it was a dream. Lately, I dreamt that a coworker of mine tried to rape me. Its so horrifying. Now I just can't stand him. Although its just a dream and the coworker is actually very decent. Feels like I am going crazy with these dreams.

Well, are these antidepressants actually helping you? Do you feel better during the day and things besides your sleep? If so, you may just have to deal with it. Dreams are just dreams, and all drugs have side effects. I would say feeling better and less depressed during your regular life outweighs having some bad dreams.

If you are concerned, I would investigate the drug you are taking (especially if it's a generic/substitute of a name-brand drug). See what others on the web have to say, just do some research on it. It's probably a normal side effect of the drug. If it really starts to bother you, well, talk to your doctor who prescribed these. Your doctor is your best best for direct answers/concerns regarding drugs you are taking. But this sounds like a typical side effect to me.

I was prescribed anti depressents when I was going through a bad time in my life and for me personally, they didn't work. Plenty of side effects, but not any result I would have been comfortable with. There are lots of different types which your doctor can prescribe and if the ones you are currently taking, other than giving you bad dreams, work to make your day to day living easier I agree, might not be such a bad thing. Anxiety and depression cause the hormone which I like to call the happy hormone, to become unbalanced, so you could easily suffer with bad dreams. Or fright mares! Without taking any medication. Best to speak to your doctor, as professional advice on medication and it's potential side affects, they can take you through. Plus if you feel that you cannot cope having these nightmares, the doctor may prescribe something else,,or perhaps different therapy, like Cognitive Therapy, which re-trains the brain.

I was prescribed anti depressents when I was going through a bad time in my life and for me personally, they didn't work. Plenty of side effects, but not any result I would have been comfortable with. There are lots of different types which your doctor can prescribe and if the ones you are currently taking, other than giving you bad dreams, work to make your day to day living easier I agree, might not be such a bad thing. Anxiety and depression cause the hormone which I like to call the happy hormone, to become unbalanced, so you could easily suffer with bad dreams. Or fright mares! Without taking any medication. Best to speak to your doctor, as professional advice on medication and it's potential side affects, they can take you through. Plus if you feel that you cannot cope having these nightmares, the doctor may prescribe something else,,or perhaps different therapy, like Cognitive Therapy, which re-trains the brain.

Already consulting a psychologist for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

You should bring this up with your doctor. There are other things then I am guessing SSRIs to treat your depression. If your dreams are really terrifying, it is a side effect to definitely take into account. Or, you could enjoy remembering more dreams. Personally I remember none.

Simply Alive. Dreams are just dreams.

I am not on anti-depressants - or anything else - and I have very vivid dreams, most of which I remember.

However, that said, and if you are very worried, do speak to your doctor.

Archived