First Thanksgiving Without my mom.

Moontiger

I'm so up and down right now. I miss her so much even though we didn't have a great relationship. I tried to make one of her recipes and totally failed. It was a huge trigger and I started crying. Now im at my BF apartment, we are going to his families for thanksgiving (long story why we are not going to mine, nothing bad though). I just don't want to break down bawling in front of them.

I'm so sorry about your mother,grieving takes a long time.Talk to your BF about your concerns. Maybe make a plan to take a walk if you need quiet time. You could even tell his parents that you are feeling really sad and you might go take a walk. Then If you feel overwhelmed during the day, excuse yourself to go for a walk, or call one of your friends. That way they'll know what's up if you have to step out. Just do the best you can and don't be too hard on yourself. It might help if you get involved in projects like putting out the food, cleaning up etc.I wish you peace with the holidays

Moontigeter, hugs to you. I know how rough this is the first year of not having a parent to spend the holidays with. Be kind to yourself, don't stress if things aren't perfect. And take the time to do something in the memory of your mom, a good thing you know would have made her smile.

She is alive in your heart, remember that always. Remember you are loved and you are her legacy to carry forward. It's all I can tell you to do but maybe it will bring you some small measure of comfort. Take care of yourself, take care of your loved ones. Hugs again.

Great big cyber hug. I had a patient who was in her early 80s tear up when she talked about her mom and the big Thanksgiving feasts she'd have. When I asked how long her mom has been gone, she said 28 years and teared up even more. I gave her a hug and Kleenex, and she went on to say she would love to be able to ask her mom for her opinion on certain things right now, but she's glad her mom has not been around to see some of the hardships that my patient has gone through during the past 28 years with her own family and health.

Archived