food for thought?

I just went to the grocery store and was thinking about something..... There are a ton of foods there that are "targeted" for women. Like Luna Bars. They are energy bars "for women." They are really yummy, probably the best out there among all the protein/energy bars. But why is it that there aren't many foods that are "targeted" for men? I know that in most households, the woman does the shopping, however, there are plenty of single men out there, I am sure, or men that do the shopping for their family.

why do you think this is?

The only "male targeted" food commericals I've seen were for some fast food chain, with "double meat, double cheese" burgers, or something like that. "Real food for a Real man!" something like that....

And yes, I am glad that guys are trying those luna bars! they are really awesome!

Probably the same reason as to why you go to the local mega-mall and there are about 300 stores for women's clothing and 2 for men!

Funny - I was just saying that to my wife recently after a trip to the mall. In total square footage the space for exclusively women's products far outstrips those for men. Not just clothing but jewelry, personal items, hairdressing, shoes, bags etc.

lol.

They are called car dealerships!

jk. sorta.

well they don't sell cars exclusively to men. I read somewhere that these days 40% of car purchases are by women. And I notice that almost as many women drive SUVs as men do.
I don't see why women should be responsible for keeping the nation's economy moving. I think there should be just as many stores to sell ridiculous products to men

I agree.

My husband comments on this EVERY time we go to a mall. There are like 4 types of stores shopped at by mostly men compared to the thousands for women.

Electronics and tools, still a male dominated market, although women ARE catching up....

Game Stores (gaming stuff, card tables etc.) more men than women, not excluisve to men of course...

Cookware - believe it or not - but that high end kitchen store...I forgot what's its called, but that store is aimed at men because they shop there more than women.

And men's clothing. Which can also be found at most department stores where women also shop.

I think its interesting and we've toyed with how well the idea for a men's only mall would work. Polly not as well because men still really DON'T "shop" as often as women.

It is also interesting to note how the big department stores are arranged. Not only does women's stuff take up more space those departments dominated by women are situated near the entrances.

Take a look a catalogs - usually the first item are women's clothing etc, then children, then men. Hardware items are at the back.

Check out the frozen foods. Hungry Man dinners. I personally gag at the thought of the crap they have in them, but I guess real men don't worry about that.

In honor of this thread, I will pick up a frozen "hungry man dinner" and report back to you all!

My boyfriend always comments when we shop about how women have so many more choices when it comes to clothes. We have all these styles and trends. He says that men just have button up shirts, tshirts, and polos for the most part. And he gets frustrated because the sales are usually for the women's clothes and he's left with still ridiculous prices for his stuff.

I think someone else mentioned this, but a lot of it has to do with the idea that women shop more than men do. Women will get together just to go shop, men tend to shop with a purpose. They don't buy on impulse as much as women do. So since women stereotypically do most of the shopping, the market is geared toward items that we'll spend our money on.

Archived