Kids and TV

EvaGina

Okay, so if I ever have kids, its not going to be for a while... But I was wondering what peoples views on kids and television were...

Im not planning on owning another television ever, I get along fine with my dvd drive on my computer. I wouldnt want my kids to have a television, I would supply them with a HUGE amount of reading material and perhaps dvds of beautifull animations and things like that, as opposed to mind-rotting drenn.

So, people, what are your veiws on the modern day babysitter... the television?

When I have kids, I will let them watch TV. But I will also encourage them to play sports, to read and expand their minds, to go outside and play and to exercise their imaginations. I think TV is okay, in moderation. Just like ice cream. Too much, of either thing, is bad for you.

I will be more concerned with WHAT they watch, than simply the fact that they are watching TV. As for TV being a babysitter... no. That's not right. I'd never do that with my kids.

My aunt didn't want her kids to watch tv either, but eventually she gave in simply as a way to keep the kids occupied for a short time so she can have some time to herself, especially since my uncle's job often takes him on a lot of business trips abroad and so shes often looking after the kids.

I personally think it CAN be a great medium of learning and story telling (keep in mind I really only watch the history channel and discovery channel). Those were the kind of channels my parents made me watch growing up, things that were generally learning based, and consequently I hardly watch anything that isn't educational today (plus I feel most of the programming on tv today just drains my intelligence).

I totally agree. The idiot box rots the mind and provides too many negative influences. I watched a fair bit as a child and I can't say I gained anything beneficial, apart from watching the news and movies. I have a younger brother and I think it's appalling how much he watches.

I agree with what you want to do, but I wouldn't ban it all together. If they wanted to watch it at a friend's house or at school then I wouldn't have a problem.

^^ I think there are a lot of beautifull programmes and movies that I woudlnt mind my kids watching at all, so I would buy them...

Art and animation are really important to me, so things like "spirited away" and "the iron giant", which kids find really stimulating, but are also artistically rich, would be perfectly acceptable for me...

and documentaries, my parents and I watched "the private life of plants" together when I was little and I have never forgotten it.

then there are also things I just really enjoy and would want my kids to like too, like "Ren and Stimpy"... as strange as that may seem...

but things like pokemon, and yu gi oh and all these mass produced poohs shows... even those "the pony club" things... I could never stomach my kid watching those.

I know its terrible to force your own values onto your children... so I would definitely comprimise... but I really appreciate the tastes my parents taught me, with art and music and things.

Plus, books will ALWAYS be valued over television... not just for the fact that children who read become smarter either...

EDIT: oh yeah, they are always welcom to watch it at a friends house, it makes it a treat as opposed to an every day thing.

I read literally hundreds, perhaps thousands of books as a child. I'm very grateful to my mother, though, for letting me have the happy memories of Saturday morning cartoons and Sunday afternoon sci-fi movies. Deprivation of pop culture can be a socially stigmatizing thing to a child.

"Did you see The Simpsons last night?"

"No."

"To Catch A Predator?"

"No."

"Anyth--?"

"No."

What's more; The History Channel, Discovery, Animal Planet, NatGeo, etc.... these are all excellent sources of learning. It's the video game playing I'd want to place limits on!

It's like everything, in moderation and if you control what they watch, TV is fine.

My aunt didn't want her kids to watch tv either, but eventually she gave in simply as a way to keep the kids occupied for a short time so she can have some time to herself

This is the thing. Until you have kids of your own, you have no idea how energy sapping and draining it can be. You do need time out and TV/DVDs are one of the few activities you can leave young children (under 5) with relatively unsupervised.

Parents ALWAYS force their values onto their kids, one way or the other. It's part of being a parent. Don't feel guilty for it; everyone does it. It's not possible otherwise... unless you plan on abandoning your kids in the wilderness or something. a matter of degrees. Some parents would be appalled if their children became interested in a different political persuasion, sexual preference or house of worship than their own. Others actually encourage their kids to find their own paths in life, after instilling the basic values in them that make for a good person.

My son watches TV and I've never had a problem with it. In fact, a lot of the children's programs are wonderful and very educational. I don't let him watch TV all day long though and I make sure he's involved in other activities. He'll never have a TV in his bedroom either.

As a side note, "Spirited Away" scared the crap out of him. He was horrified.

And Animal Planet.. Well, here I was thinking I was having him watch something good and then the lions ate the baby gazelle. Oh the tears!

And Animal Planet.. Well, here I was thinking I was having him watch something good and then the lions ate the baby gazelle. Oh the tears!

Yes you have to be very careful about ensuring whatever they watch is age appropriate. Up to the age of 5 kids have trouble seperating what they see on TV and movies from real life. To them, something like Animal Planet can be about big scary animals that will eat you and of course you spend the next year assuring them there are no lions under the bed.

There are plenty of good TV shows that are made specifically for all age groups.

My son watches TV and I've never had a problem with it. In fact, a lot of the children's programs are wonderful and very educational. I don't let him watch TV all day long though and I make sure he's involved in other activities. He'll never have a TV in his bedroom either.

As a side note, "Spirited Away" scared the crap out of him. He was horrified.

this made me giggle... sorry, perhaps I am a sadist...

I suppose I assume my kids will be like me and things like spirited away wont scare him/her... which is a stupid thing to assume really.

Somebloke, I suppose you agree that books are prettymuch essential then?

I suppose I do have good memories of waking up early with my brother to watch tv on the weekend...

and I will hopefully be the kind of parent who encourages my kids to do what makes them happy, even if I dont agree with it I have been with my parents enough to know how horrible it feels to have your parents "against" you.

I think I like the idea of DVDs as opposed to television, because you dont have the chance to just sit there for hours, flicking from one thing to the other, watching it just becuase its there...

there is more ritual to a dvd, it makes it more special.

Somebloke, I suppose you agree that books are prettymuch essential then?

Firstly, I think that good communication skills are as important as limbs. Now, I watched a hella chunk of TV as a kid (and still do - hail cable!), yet I graduated high school at 14 despite a real disdain for said institution, and I can hold my own in artful manipulation of the King's English. It HAD to be the books...

Yeah books and TV are not mutually exclusive.

Like SomeBloke I have been a voracious reader all my life. But I also watched TV regularly as a kid (and do now).

In fact, I have noticed now with my son that what is getting him interested in books is the characters he knows from TV - Dora, Maisey etc. So in a way, the TV he watches gets him interested in the books based on the characters.

Firstly, I think that good communication skills are as important as limbs. Now, I watched a hella chunk of TV as a kid (and still do - hail cable!), yet I graduated high school at 14 despite a real disdain for said institution, and I can hold my own in artful manipulation of the King's English. It HAD to be the books...

Direct correlations have been shown between the amount of literature consumed as kids and IQ...

Man, if there is one thing my parents taught me its to not belittle the enthusiasm your child shows for reading...

(off note, you graduated at 14? They wouldnt let you be put ahead in classes, but htey would keep you behind... grrrrrrrr)

lol, no lions under the bed!!!

If i had kids, i would certainly let them watch TV (like melrich said, it is nice to have a little break for yourself!) and there is plenty of quality on TV that is safe and educational. And like the others said, depriving them of pop-culture isn't great. they should be able to know a bit about whatever the popular shows are so they can talk with their peers.

I guess just limit the hours. You can block certain channels you think are inappropriate. And decide how much violence you want them seeing. To me, america is so strange, because it's regarded that a little bit of sex on tv will corrupt the kids, whereas seeing people getting blown up won't? I would think it is healthier for kids to see an act of love rather than an act of violence. There is very little nudity on american TV, but a whole lot of blood and guts.

Growing up I believe I had three parents, the third one being TV. Which ain't such a good thing.

Anyway I don't think there is anything wrong with TV, its how you use it.

Like watching TV for the sake of watching it isn't good. Watching it with a plan in mind for a specific entertaining movie or show, or to see something that could be educational is a good way to use it.

I've done the watching TV for hours every day, year after year, but not actually having a purpose in mind for it and thats not such a good thing. Plus I didn't have cable so I couldn't even participate in all the pop culture stuff kids at school got into. So it was entirely pointless.

When/If I have kids I want to teach them to use the TV or internet in a way that benefits them. Not a time filler. Like I have a good collection of movies and anime they could watch once they got older, and I'd rather have TV without commercials than to TV with commercials.

My boyfriend actually only watches the Weather Channel and has bigger opinions on TV than I do. So if things keep going smoothly with him and we decide to have kids then we already have a similar view in mind. Hooray for that. I would want my significant other to have similar views with me on matters concerning kids regardless of the subject.

I would think it is healthier for kids to see an act of love rather than an act of violence. There is very little nudity on american TV, but a whole lot of blood and guts.
To paraphrase the great George Carlin, why is it ok to let our kids hear, "I hope you die a painful and lingering death, and spend eternity in torment," but not, "I hope you have a nice ____?"

Anyway, back to the lion/gazelle thing, I was watching a nature show with my two youngest when suddenly a croc burst out of a muddy river and snared a wildebeest by the throat. Seeing the on their faces and thinking quickly, I said, "Yay, the crocodile got something to eat!"

Yeah, that didn't go over too well:

When I was little, I wasn't allowed to watch television. I only watched Disney movies once in a while with my parents! When I got older I was pretty much allowed to watch the nightly news and nothing else.

I think it was great! It's true that by the time I got to be older (10-11) I felt a bit deprived sometimes and would wake up early before school to watch a cartoon or two. But overall I think it was a good policy - I saw my cousin watch 6,7 hours of TV a day!

I would hope to have the same policy with my children. If they watch any TV though, I would much rather have it be by choice than because I need the TV as a babysitter. I know it's tough, balancing everything, but from what I've seen with my cousin the DVD distraction when the kids are young can easily turn into the TV distraction once the kids are older (6 +), when they could very well play by themselves or read a book. My parents did have a live-in nanny, so my sister and I were always "entertained"!

I read that the effects of t.v. on kids under 1.5 years old have not been established. So I would want to keep it at an absolute minimum for that age. I would like to get rid of it altogether, but my boyfriend would never agree to that. I think when we are watching t.v. we can be holding the baby facing away from the t.v.

After the age of 1.5 year, 1/2 hour of educational t.v. per day is supposed to have positive effects. Any more than that is supposed to have negative effects (as is watching violent or stressful material). I'd like to follow that.

I knew this kid who was barely old enough to walk and he could finish video games on the Xbox. Not like kid games - violent adult games. He could actually finish the game. That was messed up! His parents were drug dealers and losers and his whole life revolved around being ignored and playing video games. What kind of a life is that?

I knew tere was a reason I was drawn to you.....

....every girl likes a brilliant man.

Archived